• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reasons we will not succeed in the BE -$$-

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Well, there is certainly a correlation between money spent and how well a team does... but, there is also a decreasing return to it as well. I tend to think we are beyond the point where money has such an important effect on the results. We have a practice field, we have a nice atheltic department, and we have an okay coaching staff. Would another $100,000 add one more win to our record? Another $1,000,000 add one more win? Money only goes so far.

That is my point, maybe spending and additional $2,000,000 may buy you two more wins and a winning season.  Winning seasons buy recruits.  True top recruits (those that can qualify and don't come with baggage) will grow the program.

My point is that it won't buy more wins. We are beyond the point where spending money has a great effect on the results. What would you want them to spend money on exactly?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

You win games then everything else takes care of itself.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

And the money comes from donors . . . donors come with winning.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

That is my point, maybe spending and additional $2,000,000 may buy you two more wins and a winning season.  Winning seasons buy recruits.  True top recruits (those that can qualify and don't come with baggage) will grow the program.

As someone that runs a business, if you look at the business end of the program, (which I think we are doing here), why would you try to rush the development of the program by spending too much early rather than let it evolve naturally as it is doing?  Let's not mortgage the future by spending too much right now, when, if we do what we are doing already and make a few bowls, let the money roll in and not overspend now, we will build a healthier foundation.  I think we are doing it the right way now.  look at what happened with UCF.  Didn't they overspend trying to force things to happen too quickly and they ultimately had some set backs because of the overspending  they did?  I like the way we are doing it now.  Step by step.  Steadily upward in all aspects.  I think we are building a healthier and stronger foundation.  this sets things up for long term success rather than a flash in the pan for a couple of years.

Just my opinion.

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Days Won:  0

Reasons we will not succeed in the BE -$$

I hate absolutes.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

you can't compare our numbers with those of the rest of our conference, almost all of the schools except for uconn has been playing football for over 30 years, and has endured great success on the field.  you are forgetting how young we are, and the fact that it takes time, and years to go bye before we start getting in the big bucks.  being in the big east our athletic budget will increase every year.  but if you don't like what we are spending now, then write a check to usf football, or pick a different sport.  but don't sit here and whine to us about how much we are spending.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,786
  • Days Won:  3

Well shucks...if we can't succeed in the Big East, maybe we should mosey on over to fine folks at the ACC or SEC and see if they have any openings. ::)

Syracuse     $15,008,000

Whoever made that investment...get on the horn to your broker immediately. 'Cuse

is blowing all this cash and their program is what it is? Do me a favor...

don't belt out a chorus of "Glory Days".  :-*

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

For those who don't think money is big for any athletic program, step back.

There is a reason Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida, LSU, etc... are the best in the country year in and out.

MONEY.

Does that mean a program cannot succeed without it? No, but for consistency reasons it is important.

Syracuse might not be great now, but come back to me in 2 years.

It's amazing how far we've come without the money, because in the end it does matter. UF and FSU are now building indoor practice facilities, Miami is discussing it. What will that do? throw the focus on USF to match them as we are already trying our darnest to compete with those schools for some recruits.

... let it evolve naturally as it is doing?  ... what we are doing already and make a few bowls, let the money roll in and not overspend now, we will build a healthier foundation.  I think we are doing it the right way now.  ... I like the way we are doing it now.  Step by step.  Steadily upward in all aspects.  I think we are building a healthier and stronger foundation.  this sets things up for long term success rather than a flash in the pan for a couple of years.

Just my opinion.

I agree 100%

We know we are a middle of the road progam currently ... I see USF doing well in the future. We are FAR from taking steps backwards. Many programs across the country have taken BIG steps back - USF is all UPSWING !

Each season this PROGRAM has gotten better. Far from panic mode as a donor. We are in the same position(and better) with MANY schools with a larger fan base, more donors and better facilities.

Look how far we have gone in year 10 - can you imagine the next 10 ? I do  8-)

Go BULLS !!!

... almost all of the schools except for uconn has been playing football for over 30 years, ...

UConn football has been around a long time