• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reasons we will not succeed in the BE -$$-

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Joe,

Sure Ohio St, UF, Michigan, ND, etc spend money, but they have the money to spend. The point is that you have to win before you can spend all that money. Winning brings in the money to spend. Look a UCF, they have invested way over their heads, yet they have yet to get a big win on their resume. If, and I say if, UCF does not start winning they are going to be in trouble. Sure they have this new stadium and all, but what if they cant win??? How will they get the $$$$ support to pay for all those bills??? Comparing USF with powerhouses such as Ohio St is not really fair. USF needs to win now and get more $$$$ later. This whole topic about USF not being able to win in the BIG EAST is way off base. Sure we will keep spending more money, but we all have to take a step back and realise that we are still building.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I've been a season ticket holder with a donation since day one.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Joe,

Sure Ohio St, UF, Michigan, ND, etc spend money, but they have the money to spend. The point is that you have to win before you can spend all that money. Winning brings in the money to spend. Look a UCF, they have invested way over their heads, yet they have yet to get a big win on their resume. If, and I say if, UCF does not start winning they are going to be in trouble. Sure they have this new stadium and all, but what if they cant win??? How will they get the $$$$ support to pay for all those bills???

Yes, but those schools have money to spend, not because of their records, but because they get Millions a year from boosters. Schools like K-State, Michigan State, and NC State all had over $8M in booster contributions last year, yet they spent in the bottom 1/2 of their conferences on football (KSU = 9 Million, MSU = 12 Million, NC State = 8 Million). They wonder why their programs are stuck in mediocrity.

Also lets clearly another thing. Winning doesn't always mean money. Ask Miami, they are struggling right now despite being in the ACC with their sweet football deal. However that doesn't stop them from spending to constantly improve their program.

About UCF: There is a major misconception on how much they are spending on their football program. Last year they spent $5.2M (which did not include stadium cost) and we spent $5.3M. They're projected with stadium down payment to hit $6.5M this year.

UCF does not get the benfit of the 2M extra we will make from being in a BCS conference BUT they will have the 750K check from Florida and the rediculous (and stupid) schedule they play next year will all offset those costs (3 Cash games).

I think USF's problem lies in the fact that we lack the booster those big schools have plain and simple. We had 2.5 Million in athletic department contributions last year. Schools like Ball State and Troy matched us and they have little to no athletic department success.

Comparing USF with powerhouses such as Ohio St is not really fair. USF needs to win now and get more $$$$ later. This whole topic about USF not being able to win in the BIG EAST is way off base. Sure we will keep spending more money, but we all have to take a step back and realise that we are still building.

I know it's not fair, but my point is, the more money you have AND spend on your program the more likely your program is going to be successful in the longrun. I don't think anyone (except the Lawyer) think that we can't win the BE. I think to be competitive year in and out we're going to have to step the spending up to that of our cohorts.

Please Note:

This is IN NO WAY an indictment by me as to the current spending trends of the USF athletic department. I know the situation and I'm glad we're not going buckwild with spending. I was writing this rather as the reality of the situation.