• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Prado accepts USF's job

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

While I am not completely against this hire, simply the haste, you guys cannot seriously consider more than one maybe two of those accomplishments since 1993 to be major.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

You can when you consider the absolutely abysmal nature of UL baseball when he arrived.  This isn't football or hoops, it's much tougher to turnaround a college baseball program because of parity and the good players look for spots to get them to the majors the fastest.  

Lelo slowly made UL a competitive squad and in the process did an excellent job of raising the profile of the program as well as raising funds for a new stadium and amenities.   I believe bringing him back to his natural element will be a better fit too.  

I can't imagine how anyone could consider Rupp or Urso but not Prado.  He was the starter of all those UT championships, he began the tradition and the recruiting.  Those guys just kept the ship moving in the right direction.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

and it looks like he might have Tino Martinez as an assistant

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

While I do not buy the "baseball in the North cannot win" arguement - look at the NY Yankees, and yes that is MLB vs. NCAA

I agree with everything you say except this. The Yankees are a professional team that don't see New York until April, college baseball starts in Feb and most northern schools have camps in the south and often start on the road to begin the season.

I think the facts prove the point Wichita State was the last "cold weather" school to win the NCAA Championship. It was in 1989, before that it was Ohio State in 1966.

Northern college baseball just isn't strong.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

In the collegiate ranks this is correct - one of the reasons many of the other coaches call USF a gold mine.  There is a natural advantage in Florida - no doubt.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

Good luck, Coach.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

and it looks like he might have Tino Martinez as an assistant

Hey, if you can't get a big name in as a coach, why not bring one in as an assistant...LOL

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  566

Prado To Be Named Next South Florida Baseball Coach

By ADAM ADKINS and BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

TAMPA - Louisville coach Lelo Prado has accepted an offer to become the University of South Florida baseball coach and will be formally announced at a 10 a.m. news conference today.

Prado, who becomes the fifth coach in program history, replaces Eddie Cardieri, who resigned last month after 21 years as head coach.

"We fully expected Lelo to take the job," Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich said. "It's a great opportunity and we fully endorse it.

"If it was any other place than USF we would have put up a big wall around him, but this is much bigger than baseball. I love his mom and dad and it's great for him to go home to Tampa where he's had so much success. We know how important that is."

Prado was unavailable for comment.

Prado, who made $92,500 last season, is expected to receive a five-year contract, with his annual salary nearly double the $64,000 Cardieri made last season.

Prado and Maryland coach Terry Rupp, a Jesuit High and University of Tampa graduate, separately interviewed for the position with USF AD Doug Woolard and senior associate athletic director Barbara Sparks-McGlinchy in Atlanta on Wednesday. It's unknown if anyone else interviewed.

Prado, a 1981 Tampa Catholic and 1985 UT graduate, is Louisville's winningest coach (320-302-1, 11 years).

Prior to taking over the Louisville program, Prado spent seven seasons as head coach at UT, guiding the Spartans to a 278-124-1 record and back-to-back Division II national championships in 1992-93.

Prado's USF staff might include former major-leaguer Tino Martinez, Prado's brother-in-law.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBKP82XHOE.html

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Good Lord, the Bulls could have hired Joe Torre to coach their team and some of you would still complain. You're acting like Gator fans with your outrageous expectations.

Imagine the recruiting pitch Prado had at Louisville when he started. "Um... why don't you come up north to a town with pretty much nothing going on. Oh, and it's cold for half the season and you won't have any outdoor practice or home games. Plus we don't have a stadium. Or a facility, really. It'll be awesome!"

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

I agree with everything you say except this. The Yankees are a professional team that don't see New York until April, college baseball starts in Feb and most northern schools have camps in the south and often start on the road to begin the season.

I think the facts prove the point Wichita State was the last "cold weather" school to win the NCAA Championship. It was in 1989, before that it was Ohio State in 1966.

Well, duh, that is why I put the MLB vs. NCAA disclaimer.

A lomg time ago people always said that Florida was a football state and basketball would never amount to anything.  Then, as much as it pains me to point out this fact, UF won the NCAA title in basketball.

Heck, the Heat just tied up the NBA series tonight, and they could win the title, and yes that is the pro game and not college.

The point is that teams win when they have the desire, reguardless of location.

The more likely reason why northern colleges typically do not fair well against southern and California schools is not location or cold weather.  They have to compete against MLB signing players right out of high school.  Many of those kids would rather sign contracts and make decent money in the minors with a chance of making the big leagues instead of spending 4 years in college making $0.  Some of those minor league teams play in cold weather areas and that does not hamper their abilities.

Wichita State in 1989?  That was before major BCS and TV money started to funnel into college sports via football and men's basketball.  Why would any school eveny try to compete with MLB for the best high school players for a non-revenue sport after the influx of BCS cash and the latest TV contracts that started in the 1990's?

Most schools do not put an emphasis on college baseball because of this competition with MLB.