• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Ill second that . . . .

PJ will win this job  :'( I think the two INTs just doomed Grothe's USF career. It seems like he has to be perfect to win the job, but the other two just have to remain above the totally crappy line. I would like to take this opportunity to remind CJL that Mr Grothe is a redshirt freshman going into his second year like CH and desrves some slack too.

I'm not really sure what I saw tonight. I need to watch the replay and see some stats but I am pretty sure that Mike Jenkins rocks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I think Mike's play has been affected ever since he laid that massive hit on Drew Hixon in the TTU game.   That type of hit sticks in the back of your mind.  It's good to see him shaking that stuff off and making some plays...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,407
  • Days Won:  10

My impressions of the QB situation from the game tonight:

1.  No surprise with Justmissed -- He was kicking up dirt again with his passes, although he was awesome as a blocker on one running play

2.  Hill looked better than I though he would.  Don't want to like him over Matt, but he has a rocket arm.

3.  Yeah, so Grothe threw the int's -- he was looking real good otherwise.  And I agree with what others have said about his arm strength.  Hill has a much harder throw, although Grothe did hook up with a couple of medium-long passes.  I still like him best, if he can shake that interception thing.

4.  Who is this Serverino?  He looked better than his ranking among these quarterbacks.  He also got a good amount of play time.

From what I saw tonight, there is no reason to go with justmissed as our starting qb.  He also looks a lot heavier than I remember and the 220 he was listed at.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

IMO from what I saw tonight..

The battle for the qb will be between Matt and Pat. Of course C4 will be great, but if the season were to start today, it would be between Matt and Pat.

Matt: Yes, Matt had the int's, but he played great. There were a few times that Matt had to throw to his third option (when was the last time we saw this from a USF qb? Blackwell?). The kid is smart on the field. Also, the guy has moves! There were a couple of times that he avoided sacks and was able to complete the pass.

Pat: Yes, his first pass was to the ground about 5 yards short of the wr. But he was above average with the rest of the game IMO. He had that long td and had that nice touch pass to Amarri down the sideline. Plus, the guy has a rocket; he just needs to tune the rocket down for those short passes.

C4: Maybe because he didn't participate all of spring, but he did not show us that he deserves to be the starter. Maybe things will be different during the summer.

Anthony S: Well if Pat, Matt, and C4 get hurt.. I think we can still become bowl eligible (maybe) with him under center.

Other notes: I think we should focus more with our punting. Hopefully these freshmen will fill the void. I also think Ponton ran well during the first half.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

C4 missed 2/3'rds of the practices this spring.  The coaches didn't expect much from him in the spring, and are afraid his missed time this spring could hold him back for the fall.  He's the man they want to assume the position but are afraid he's lost to much time to be effective by the spring.  SO, it might be one of the other two regardless of what the coaches REALLY WANT.

Matt was more elusive then I first suspected, but is soft on passes past 15 yards.  He's been racking up INT's all spring, but does manage to find his intermediate routes with ease, and is poised at times.  He needs to sharpen his game still and calm down a bit but I can see potential.

PJ, stop raging on this kid.  He's the only one that led any of the offenses with any consistency- three TD drives.  One a beautiful touch TD pass to Randolph after an amazing spiral to Jackson streaking on the sideline.  If you asked today, PJ looked the most consistent all night, his game didn't slip until later in the night when walk-ons started subbing in and everything got sloppy with all the players.  Sorry, but the score and stats don't lie- 187 yards passing, no INT's, and 36 points, 21 of which occurred when PJ was leading them.

Severino is just a serviceable walk-on that's gotten better but is miles behind the other three in ability and production.  

If you went solely on the spring game the starter is PJ.  If you went by all spring you go with Grothe by a nose because Hill hasn't had the reps.  If the staff had to make the call they want Hill but Hill might have forced them to go another direction because of the lack of reps, and practice.

We shall see, but one positive thing about the QB's is all four played well at times tonight unlike the past three springs where the QB position was anemic.  All three (PJ, Grothe, and Hill) made mistakes, but also showed flashes of brilliance and gamers.  All three actually moved the ball at times and demonstrated to me that once one beats out the other two, and gains consistency we will have our QB for next year and possibly the future.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Sevrino looked better than Grothe tonight.  Julmiste looked the best of the QB's.  Hill looked rusty, but still appears to have the clear cut talent edge.

I think the O line is going to hinge on how healthy we can get.

I thought Amarri and the rest of the recievers looked really good.  

Ponton looked like a totally capable replacement for Andre.  

I was surprised how good Denson and Gregory looked in the secondary.  Intersting how position transferrs can work out...  

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I saw practice on Weds and Denson shocked me by how well he's taken at DB.  He's a tremendous athlete take nothing away from the kid I hope we get him on the field some how because he can be dangerous on offense or defense once he settles on a position.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

I saw practice on Weds and Denson shocked me by how well he's taken at DB.  He's a tremendous athlete take nothing away from the kid I hope we get him on the field some how because he can be dangerous on offense or defense once he settles on a position.

I agree, other than a timing mistake early in the spring game I was very impressed with the development he showed at corner.

Anyone else realizing that our corners are starting to look gross?

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Anyone else realizing that our corners are starting to look gross?

What's wrong with them, do they need a bath?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Well, I guess the cat is outta the bag regarding Hill´s grades now ... he may not be in the running come the fall and maybe RS.

Can not wait to see the tape of the game.

Go BULLS !!!