• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big Series in Orlando

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  158

image.thumb.png.dc6381c612d5aa398662ac1dd3afc37e.png

Bulls on ESPN+ NOW playing at North Florida --- nice warm up to tonight's game

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Yea I don't know guys, if you look at the stats and the record over the last 7 years, I don't know how you defend this coaching. CBM is closer to a baseball xCJS than he is to CAG. The good news is that pitching so far is night and day better than it was last year. Hope it can save us when the bats are quiet. 

I'm not defending him. I've said here previously that I'd love if he got the team turned around, but I'm more inclined to believe he's gone after the season. One of those guys who is better suited as an assistant (in this case pitching coach) rather than the manager. 

I was just responding to that specific example. When young players are willing to sit and look at strike three, you can blame coaching to a degree. When you're talking about college players and above (hell even high school players and above), to me that's more on the players than it is coaching. You learn from a young age to protect the zone with two strikes and try to put the bat on the ball if it's anywhere close rather than leave it up to the umpire.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, GoBulls84 said:

I'm not defending him. I've said here previously that I'd love if he got the team turned around, but I'm more inclined to believe he's gone after the season. One of those guys who is better suited as an assistant (in this case pitching coach) rather than the manager. 

I was just responding to that specific example. When young players are willing to sit and look at strike three, you can blame coaching to a degree. When you're talking about college players and above (hell even high school players and above), to me that's more on the players than it is coaching. You learn from a young age to protect the zone with two strikes and try to put the bat on the ball if it's anywhere close rather than leave it up to the umpire.

I'm not sure that holds true any longer. I remember being in Clearwater for a tournament game. After a guy walked on 4 pitches the next batter swung at the first pitch. Growing up that was a no-no. But a player's father heard me say something about that and he told me that that unwritten rule doesn't hold any longer. He said if you get a good pitch you swing at it. (The guy did swing at a pitch that was nowhere near the strike zone). This was probably 10 years ago. Times and philosophies change I suppose. You see pros taking huge swings with 2 strikes on them - not just try to make contact. There are a few guys around that still do it but they are in the minority.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I'm not sure that holds true any longer. I remember being in Clearwater for a tournament game. After a guy walked on 4 pitches the next batter swung at the first pitch. Growing up that was a no-no. But a player's father heard me say something about that and he told me that that unwritten rule doesn't hold any longer. He said if you get a good pitch you swing at it. (The guy did swing at a pitch that was nowhere near the strike zone). This was probably 10 years ago. Times and philosophies change I suppose. You see pros taking huge swings with 2 strikes on them - not just try to make contact. There are a few guys around that still do it but they are in the minority.

But the point still sort of stands. Taking strike 3, unless it comes on a pitch with absurd break, is never a good look.

To the polar opposite, I can see an argument for both sides. A pitcher who just walked a guy on 4 pitches may just not have control at all and you don't wanna help him out if he can't find the strike zone. On the flip side, a pitcher who just walked a guy on 4 pitches may be looking to "just get one in" and put a meatball over the plate.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

There is a lot of theory and subjective coaching within the game, at all levels/ages. Moneyball, long ball, small ball, take until you get a strike, never swing at first pitch, steal, don't steal, best hitters top of the order, best hitters 3/4 spots, "second leadoff man" in the 9-hole, opener, starter goes deep, the list goes on. They can all be effective if executed. Depends on the coaching staff. 

Somehow, we have an abysmal record against UNF, dropping the last 7 straight. Down 5-4 currently, let's pull this one out.

EDIT: Best tradition in college baseball is the TAMU ball 5 chant. 

Edited by USF_Bullsharks

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

53 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Totally different game and quality of player.  Problem today is the game isn't being taught at the youth/hs/college level anymore because everybody thinks they're a pro already.  And lots of people are making a lot of money letting (encouraging) parents believe little Johnny is a super star

Boser's 2nd home run of the day makes it 17-5 Bulls

Still just 1 out

Final.  5th 10 run rule win of the season.   

Vultures go hungry tonight

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,400
  • Days Won:  3

Wow. Crazy. Was 5-5 M7 when i checked earlier. Nice!