• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big Series in Orlando

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I enjoy baseball as my third favorite sport to watch grew up going to  alot of Braves games  in early 90s as a kid from the Georgia  property in the summer. I started to follow the RAys when they came out , but they will always be my second team. I started to follow the bulls when I became a student at USF in 06.

Russell Westbrook Reaction GIF by NBA

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Russell Westbrook Reaction GIF by NBA

Swing Miss GIF by MOODMAN

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,398
  • Days Won:  3

Hell i forgot we finished last in 22. Back to back dead last. Oof. He better finish top half of conference this season.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, olafberserker said:

Let me try to respond.  I appreciate the fact that you don't come on here with the same crap after every loss and there are actually some baseball takes.   The "fundamentals" aren't really any worse now than they were in Mohl's first year or the 3 years before when he served as an assistant under Kingston.  Watch most college baseball games and you'll see bad "fundamentals".  It's a sign of the times where "measurables" are often more important than fundamentals or even actual production.  I see it all the time.  Try watching a high school game or go out to a travel ball tournament.  It's painful to watch.  And it probably isn't going to get much better.

As for the quotes you called excuses, this is a thread that was started (thanks @JoeB for starting these threads by the way) to discuss the weekend series.   There's all kinds of nuances in sports and baseball and softball move at a pace that allows a fan to see many of them play out in real time.  Talking about the pitcher, the umpire or any other thing isn't an excuse, it's part of the game and so it may come up during a discussion.     

Reality is that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports and believe it or not the opposing pitchers are trying to get us out as much as our guys are trying to get a hit.   In the situation you mentioned I assume you mean tied 2-2 in the top of the 9th.  The two guys that K'd looking are both struggling at the plate (probably part of why ucf walked Brutcher to get to them).  Gonna go out on a limb and say that Kunkel (the hitting coach) didn't tell them to go up looking at strike 3.   **** happens.  Watch any game and you'll see guys strike out looking at any level.   It sucks, don't want to see it, but it happens.   As I mentioned before, in that game we lined into double plays TWICE.  Either ball goes through we're not discussing the backwards K's.  But they didn't so here we are and that's also part of the game.  But they are definitely not 100% a coaching issue and that wouldn't be on Mohl anyway except by the extension that everything falls on the HC at the end of the day.

I'm not sure how you can say we don't have a mentality to win.  I'm not even sure what that means so I'm not sure how to respond to that, but it sounds kind of silly.  I guess if you are saying we haven't been able to find a way to win enough over the past couple of years I'd agree with that, but we're a little early in this season to decide it's the same old, same old.  Basketball has had one good season.  Football went 7-6.   T/F (ok).  Volleyball? some were trying to run the coach out of town at the beginning of this past season.  Hell, with the football improvement and the MBB current run, I'm surprised most even realize the baseball season started.  I think folks coming here to scream for his head after every loss speaks as much about them as it does about Mohl.

So let's let the year play out for now.   Reality is our record and play hasn't been bad the first 10 games all things considered.  Does it need to be better in the long run, of course.  And before anyone says it AGAIN, if we do not have a successful year (at a minimum make the NCAA tourney), Mohl is gone and we move on.  

Go Bulls!

Baseball is my sport. I don't watch it to see home runs, I don't go to games to see the Diamond Dolls (bring them back!). I go to see my team compete, and over the last few years we have been nowhere near as competitive as this team should be. The last time this team has had ANY fight in them was against Texas in the Supers. Thank you for correcting the inning, either way we had a lead, and c continued to FIGHT to the last inning, they had all momentum even though we were winning. We were quiet. Agreed that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, but last time I checked hitting requires swinging the bat. The mindset of a baseball player who doesn't even swing the bat, in that situation, at this level of competition, is 100% on the coaching staff. There's a difference between wanting to win and being out-skilled (see: Marist probably), and being highly skilled and not having the mentality and drive to win every single game. Just a hunch, but I imagine that's why Cantu transferred to FSU. Could NIL have been a factor? Sure. But that program expects to win and competes every single day, and has for decades. Give CBM 50% of the desire to compete that CAG or CAAR has, and this team will be well above .500. They have the skill. 

The year will play out, and it could very well turn out to be a good season. Every single Bulls fan wants that to be the case. It's disappointing that we aren't even going .500 out of conference and the trend is continuing. CBM may even still be here for another year or two as the administration continues to invest in football/basketball heavily. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

. The mindset of a baseball player who doesn't even swing the bat, in that situation, at this level of competition, is 100% on the coaching staff.

I'll remember this the next time I watch Ronald Acuna Jr,. Ohtani, Mookie Betts, or any other major league hitter strikeout looking.

So did we have more fight on Saturday when we rallied to win even after blowing that lead?   Was our coach's mindset different then.  Was it different in the innings where we lined out in the 3rd and 6th?  When did Mohl decide that winning wasn't important anymore?  After we won the Regional championship?

Just a hunch, but Cantu probably went to FSU so he could play against better competition overall on a bigger stage in the ACC instead of the aac (they had a losing record last year as well).

I promise you Mohl is gone if we do not have a winning season this year (and just being over.500 may not be enough).  He barely hung on last year (surprisingly).  He won't hang on again

Edited by olafberserker

57 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

It's disappointing that we aren't even going .500 out of conference and the trend is continuing. 

Did you see the record of the teams that we have lost to?  30-10.   UCF and FSU are combined 18-1.   We pounded the team we were supposed to pound.  Come on man.   You're better than this comment

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

The mindset of a baseball player who doesn't even swing the bat, in that situation, at this level of competition, is 100% on the coaching staff.

Ehhhh, the players are old enough to know better in that situation. My daughter's softball team (10U), I remind them all the time that they can't get hits if they don't swing the bat. Sometimes they just need the nudge and reminder that we'd rather they go down swinging than praying for a walk. College-aged kids shouldn't need that reminder or that kick in the pants.

Edited by GoBulls84
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

Yea I don't know guys, if you look at the stats and the record over the last 7 years, I don't know how you defend this coaching. CBM is closer to a baseball xCJS than he is to CAG. The good news is that pitching so far is night and day better than it was last year. Hope it can save us when the bats are quiet. 

53 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Yea I don't know guys, if you look at the stats and the record over the last 7 years, I don't know how you defend this coaching. CBM is closer to a baseball xCJS than he is to CAG. The good news is that pitching so far is night and day better than it was last year. Hope it can save us when the bats are quiet. 

The past 7 years were not being discussed.   There is no one "defending" the overall losing record.  Strawman.   The highlighted comment is absurd.   He's a pitching coach by trade and he took over the pitching staff this year.

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

To be fair his conference win percentage is 42.5% and Jeff Scott conference win percentage was 5%. Mohl hasn't been historically bad but below average. 

Edited by Outlaw