• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NIL and the NCAA

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,895
  • Days Won:  2

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,895
  • Days Won:  2

FRONTOFFICESPORTS.COM

The NCAA will not be able to enforce any NIL restrictions until the case is settled or goes to trial, including its original interim policy.

The scenario effectively allows pay-for-play to go forward uninhibited—but not everywhere. Athletes still must abide by state law, so if a state NIL law prohibits pay-for-play, an athlete must follow it. (Expect state legislators to strike down any restrictive laws to pave the way for a recruiting advance for their players.)

• Topic Count:  354
  • Content Count:  4,094
  • Days Won:  56

Why does the NCAA exist as an entity? To do what? Time to just draw the blinds, close the doors and turn off the electricity. Just do whatever you want.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

This is as good a place as any, so here's a thought. Why not set up an NIL account like an endowment? Yes, I know there are monies needed immediately, but what if your giving was perpetual? I personally would like to see my little donation grow into something more substantial than merely a coke and an ice-cream bar every year. And no, I don't have more to give.

• Go Bulls! 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

3 hours ago, BDYZR said:

is is as good a place as any, so here's a thought. Why not set up an NIL account like an endowment? Yes, I know there are monies needed immediately, but what if your giving was perpetual? I personally would like to see my little donation grow into something more substantial than merely a coke and an ice-cream bar every year. And no, I don't have more to give.

Yep.  I hope that what I have previously donated was invested wisely as I am tapped out.  I do appreciate that the NIL system has freed me up from any guilty feeling that I need to donate more.

20 hours ago, SilverBull said:

Yep.  I hope that what I have previously donated was invested wisely as I am tapped out.  I do appreciate that the NIL system has freed me up from any guilty feeling that I need to donate more.

That's my point. I don't believe any NIL donation is invested for the future.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

21 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

That's my point. I don't believe any NIL donation is invested for the future.

That's because the kids are saying image.png.1b90e1ccd30e3e2e71e0763ae94e4d57.png

There's no money to set aside. My guess is Money comes in, Money goes out. Can you imagine Fowler Ave telling Byrum Brown Hey we got $50k we could be giving you but we're going to invest it for someone 4 years down the road. Someone very wealthy would have to make a huge donation to start up that fund.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,285

On 2/23/2024 at 10:09 PM, Dave_Glaser said:

Why does the NCAA exist as an entity? To do what? Time to just draw the blinds, close the doors and turn off the electricity. Just do whatever you want.

Taxation  without representation.  They don't share their profits and only bring it money from the colleges and universities.  They want the fans to pay the players instead of sharing their profits on tv contracts,  merchandise  , and ticket sales.

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

That's because the kids are saying image.png.1b90e1ccd30e3e2e71e0763ae94e4d57.png

There's no money to set aside. My guess is Money comes in, Money goes out. Can you imagine Fowler Ave telling Byrum Brown Hey we got $50k we could be giving you but we're going to invest it for someone 4 years down the road. Someone very wealthy would have to make a huge donation to start up that fund.

This will be a problem long after BB. Sorry.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  830
  • Days Won:  1

On 2/24/2024 at 7:56 AM, BDYZR said:

Why not set up an NIL account like an endowment?

Hard to do without a substantial seed for the fund. A $1,000,000 gift can distribute $50,000/yr at a 5% distribution rate. The largest NIL's currently are spending $10MM+/year. I agree a fund would be better long-term, but with how volatile the NCAA/rules are currently, substituting the $1,000,000 for NIL use THIS YEAR will probably impact much more positively than trying to do a 5% distribution. 5-10 years from now, NIL may look completely different (if it even exists). Now, if we had a $100,000,000 gift that could distribute $5,000,000/year, that would be massively impactful right now (and I'd be willing to bet that individual would keep the funds in their name and donate the distributions to NIL every year, instead of endowing the full $100MM). 

EDIT: I think a similar effect would be to set up an endowment with the DSO and/or the school directly. Funding athletic scholarships can impact athletics similarly, by allowing other resources to go towards facilities/CoL payments.  The wealthiest schools have all of their back of house payments taken care of, and can direct their alumni to donate (almost) exclusively towards NIL. I do not think USF is in that position yet, as we can really use the money to pay for stadium, increase coaching pools, etc. 

Edited by USF_Bullsharks