• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NIL and the NCAA

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

7 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Hard to do without a substantial seed for the fund. A $1,000,000 gift can distribute $50,000/yr at a 5% distribution rate. The largest NIL's currently are spending $10MM+/year. I agree a fund would be better long-term, but with how volatile the NCAA/rules are currently, substituting the $1,000,000 for NIL use THIS YEAR will probably impact much more positively than trying to do a 5% distribution. 5-10 years from now, NIL may look completely different (if it even exists). Now, if we had a $100,000,000 gift that could distribute $5,000,000/year, that would be massively impactful right now (and I'd be willing to bet that individual would keep the funds in their name and donate the distributions to NIL every year, instead of endowing the full $100MM). 

EDIT: I think a similar effect would be to set up an endowment with the DSO and/or the school directly. Funding athletic scholarships can impact athletics similarly, by allowing other resources to go towards facilities/CoL payments.  The wealthiest schools have all of their back of house payments taken care of, and can direct their alumni to donate (almost) exclusively towards NIL. I do not think USF is in that position yet, as we can really use the money to pay for stadium, increase coaching pools, etc. 

I do not disagree with any of that. However, investing in the future, IMO, is worth more than overextending in the present. Exactly the reason we have insurance, 401k's, ROTH, and any other savings we can think of. We cannot compete with the big boys now. We need a better plan for the future. Continuing to pass the plate and hope someone fills it, again IMO, is not a good plan.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455

What would it cost to keep a Heisman QB?

WWW.VOLUMEPIGS.COM

USF's Byrum Brown dominated the AAC as a redshirt freshman in 2023. VP thinks the ceiling is even higher in 2024 with HC Alex Golesh and WR Sean Atkins.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,298

According to Nebraska coach good qbs cost at least a million or 2 million dollars per season.

This is why I refuse to pay student athletes.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10099140-nebraskas-matt-rhule-good-qb-costs-1-2m-in-nil-deals-in-transfer-portal.amp.html

Edited by Outlaw