• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women look horrible against Rice today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

28 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I was referring to the clip when she scored with 5 seconds left in the quarter against Tulsa. And I would not describe the clip from 2 years ago as a clip against "high schoolers." It was against international competition, the best players in her age group from other countries. In that clip you see her dominating Brito, making several shots against her, as well as stealing the ball from Brito and taking the floor and scoring as Brito defended. I can see Asensio on the floor as well. So, if she is dominating against them, why are they getting more minutes than she is?

As for CJF stating that his starting 5 will not necessarily be his best 5 players, here is the presser. It begins around the 12:10 mark.

He explains in that presser what he means by not having the best 5 in starting lineup and why that might happen.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

11 lead changes and 7 ties, lot of back and fourth. 

From the box score, Rice 9-2 advantage on fast break points.

To me, that highlights 2 problems, 

1. We didn't run like we normally do. We like to push the tempo, and look for opportunities to push the ball. We clearly didn't. 

2. We missed too many layups. I am not calling any players out by name, but we have too many players that aren't scoring on opportunities where we should be scoring. 

Lots of close games this year. Lets beat UTSA and get back on the right track. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

2 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I was referring to the clip when she scored with 5 seconds left in the quarter against Tulsa. And I would not describe the clip from 2 years ago as a clip against "high schoolers." It was against international competition, the best players in her age group from other countries. In that clip you see her dominating Brito, making several shots against her, as well as stealing the ball from Brito and taking the floor and scoring as Brito defended. I can see Asensio on the floor as well. So, if she is dominating against them, why are they getting more minutes than she is?

As for CJF stating that his starting 5 will not necessarily be his best 5 players, here is the presser. It begins around the 12:10 mark.

I’m sure some of the clips were against  high schoolers at her level, like Brito. It was obvious, though, that if those were the best high schoolers from a country, some countries focused more on basketball than others. 
Thanks for finding that presser and it’s basically what I thought, and what olaf pointed out. It puts in context what he said, and probably what a ton of other head coaches can say. CAAR can certainly make that statement. 

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  767
  • Days Won:  2

44 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I’m sure some of the clips were against  high schoolers at her level, like Brito. It was obvious, though, that if those were the best high schoolers from a country, some countries focused more on basketball than others. 
Thanks for finding that presser and it’s basically what I thought, and what olaf pointed out. It puts in context what he said, and probably what a ton of other head coaches can say. CAAR can certainly make that statement. 

It does put into context; however, he would not have said it, unless he had a plan to not use his best 5. A perfect example of this is last year against taller teams. Last year, we struggled against taller teams. He brought Emma in only when Dulcy got into foul trouble because he did not want to have both bigs foul out early. This strategy works only early in the game. Often times I was saying to myself, "It's the fourth quarter, neither is in foul trouble, put both in the game." It was not until the end of the season when he started putting Emma in late. I mention this example because, in his context, he is explaining reasons why you won't see the best 5 on the floor. In some games, the best 5 included having both Dulcy and Emma on the floor at the same time.

The point is, as he pointed out, he does not necessarily have his best 5. And probably this is why Aarnio rarely plays, because if she is Blasigh's back-up at the 2, if she plays with Blasigh and they are both in foul trouble, he has no replacement.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,728
  • Days Won:  0

One great thing about Jose's teams is that he has the luxury of depth. He doesn't recruit scrubs. All of the ladies on this year's team are very good D1 players. Otherwise, they wouldn't be on the roster.

This team is obviously not the greatest USF squad of all time, so we'll see how it all shakes out the rest of the season. I still think they can win the conference and go dancing.

(Oh, and for the record, Brito is a very good player that had a couple of bad games. Let's not judge her too harshly here. I'm sure she'll get back to being the Carla we love soon enough.) 🤘

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

Losing to UTSA 20-7 after 1.  Again we can’t buy a short basket.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

Becoming unwatchable.  32-9.

• Content Count:  2,895

10 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Losing to UTSA 20-7 after 1.  Again we can’t buy a short basket.

Can't hit a shot, not rebounding.  We're getting blown out.  Yuck.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

They looked good against Rice compared to this.

• Content Count:  2,895

1 minute ago, 79 Bull said:

Becoming unwatchable.  32-9.

ITA!  I tuned out for a bit.   

• Upvote 1