• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women look horrible against Rice today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  767
  • Days Won:  2

18 hours ago, Triple B said:

That 2 year old tape? If you're going to try and make a point about her THIS year, would probably be best to show some tape of all her game minutes this year and not just the highlights. CJF hasn't been lobotomized. There's a reason someone's taking minutes away from her ....

How can there be tape of her game minutes this year if she is hardly playing? But tell you what, if you go back to the Tulsa game on Jan 10th, take a look at the play and score she made at the end of the third quarter. If you go to the 1:31:10 mark, it will show you Alvarez bringing the ball up the court with about 8 seconds left in the quarter. She passes the ball to Aarnio in the corner with 5 seconds left. Aarnio then dribbles by 2 defenders with a crossover and scores at the basket on a third defender. In one game in Virgin Islands, she got a few minutes and demonstrated the same skills. 

Watch those 5 seconds of Aarnio in the Tulsa game and then come back and tell everyone if this part of her game would not be beneficial to this squad, because I just don't see anyone else moving and driving to the basket like she does. Imagine what Wilson could do scoring with those skills?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Triple B said:

That 2 year old tape? If you're going to try and make a point about her THIS year, would probably be best to show some tape of all her game minutes this year and not just the highlights. CJF hasn't been lobotomized. There's a reason someone's taking minutes away from her ....

Obviously there is a reason. What that reason is anyone's guess. Based on comments that I have heard him make, my guess is that he has designated Aarnio a 2 behind Blasigh, who is a better outside shooter. And, he has designated Wilson and Asensio as his point guards. Not only have I heard him make comments to this effect, but the roster has Wilson and Asensio listed as point guards and all other guards as just guards. If he recruited Asensio as a point guard and promised her that the only other players that will play that position is Wilson, then he breaks his promise to Asensio if he plays Aarnio at PG. And then Asensio is unhappy and ends up transferring out. And I think when he wants to go to a third PG for whatever reason, his choice is Alvarez.

If I had to guess, that is what I believe the reason is. Also, at the beginning of the year, he stated in a press conference that we would not see the best players in his starting 5. Maybe one of the reporters should have asked why not?

I see the same thing with the Wing position. On the roster Brito is the only one listed at wing. Levy who is listed at forward and not playing many minutes early on is now getting more playing time at the wing.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

How can there be tape of her game minutes this year if she is hardly playing? But tell you what, if you go back to the Tulsa game on Jan 10th, take a look at the play and score she made at the end of the third quarter. If you go to the 1:31:10 mark, it will show you Alvarez bringing the ball up the court with about 8 seconds left in the quarter. She passes the ball to Aarnio in the corner with 5 seconds left. Aarnio then dribbles by 2 defenders with a crossover and scores at the basket on a third defender. In one game in Virgin Islands, she got a few minutes and demonstrated the same skills. 

Watch those 5 seconds of Aarnio in the Tulsa game and then come back and tell everyone if this part of her game would not be beneficial to this squad, because I just don't see anyone else moving and driving to the basket like she does. Imagine what Wilson could do scoring with those skills?

Another thing Triple B, look at the bench when she makes the crossover. The entire bench jumps up because they know what she can do.

5 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Ariel should shoot the ball just to keep them honest and she has made a couple threes the past two games. At this point, I’d rather see her shoot the ball than Carla or Dani.

I think you are kidding. Anyway, I would rather see Brito play point than Wilson. I actually think that would be her best position on the floor because she can handle the ball and she can drive, as well as hit short jumpers.

• Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,098
  • Days Won:  56

Past four games, Carla is 6-26 from the floor.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

46 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Past four games, Carla is 6-26 from the floor.

She used to play with a smile on her face. Doesn't look like she's having fun any more. I know coach wanted her to tone down the hot dog plays but maybe that's who she is and taming her hasn't made her better.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

10 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

How can there be tape of her game minutes this year if she is hardly playing?

If she's playing at all, there's video that may or may not reveal why CJF's choosing to not play her. How's her defense?

Also, at the beginning of the year, he stated in a press conference that we would not see the best players in his starting 5. Maybe one of the reporters should have asked why not?

Would be interesting to see that entire press conference to see what was actually said and the context ...

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

How's her defense?

When she plays, it is usually because of her defense. Did you watch the clip?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, panchosanchez99 said:

When she plays, it is usually because of her defense. Did you watch the clip?

I actually did and she looked awesome against high schoolers. Can probably find clips like that for everyone on the team. She’s obviously not doing enough somewhere at this point to earn more playing time. 

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I actually did and she looked awesome against high schoolers. Can probably find clips like that for everyone on the team. She’s obviously not doing enough somewhere at this point to earn more playing time. 

I was referring to the clip when she scored with 5 seconds left in the quarter against Tulsa. And I would not describe the clip from 2 years ago as a clip against "high schoolers." It was against international competition, the best players in her age group from other countries. In that clip you see her dominating Brito, making several shots against her, as well as stealing the ball from Brito and taking the floor and scoring as Brito defended. I can see Asensio on the floor as well. So, if she is dominating against them, why are they getting more minutes than she is?

As for CJF stating that his starting 5 will not necessarily be his best 5 players, here is the presser. It begins around the 12:10 mark.