• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women look horrible against Rice today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,098
  • Days Won:  56

They only have two players that can score - Blasigh and Levy. They’re getting nothing but missed shots and turnovers from Brito and Gonzalez.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,895
  • Days Won:  2

I thought they looked good mostly.  As usual the officiating is not up to par IMO.  Rice is scrappy.  Couldn't put 'em away earlier.  Rice is at home and that shows.  The advertising on the floor is crazy.  Porsche!?! 

Edited by Cat941
ETA

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,895

Of course now that I've talked 'em up we can't buy a basket.   The refs refuse to call the foul on Rice.  

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,697
  • Days Won:  7

It isn't their year, recognized that very early on. This team couldn't hold the bras of last year's squad.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  360
  • Days Won:  1

Blasigh Is good but she can’t really drive in. In previous years we had players that could shoot and if they closed out on them they could drive in. We have no go to dominant player like the last couple years, it would help if we had Sammie, but she’s out for the year so it is what it is.

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  767

21 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

missed shots and turnovers from Brito and Gonzalez

Gonzalez actually went 4-9 with no turnovers. But as I watch more games this year, I realize that the success that Brito and Gonzalez had last year was due to not having any pressure on them due to the big 3 we had last year. I don't think Brito and Gonzalez are very good players, and I would say that Gonzalez is better than Brito. Neither is good against decent players.

And Wilson, what can I say? She made a three but missed 2 makeable layups, one she air-balled from underneath the basket. How in the world did she miss so badly from 1 foot away?

The good in this game is that Blasigh kept them in the game with good shooting and no turnovers, although I think she had a couple that they missed. She had 7 turnovers in her big scoring game the other day, but at least she keeps them in the game with her scoring.

I will continue to say this, Aarnio is a better option on the floor than Brito, Gonzalez, and Wilson. And Mputu needs to be on the floor as well. She went 3-4 with limited time on the court today. If anyone saw the last game, Aarnio showed outstanding quickness and ball-handling to dribble through defenders to score as time ran out in the quarter. There is nobody on this squad who is as good as her in getting to the basket, period. This is what we need. Both her and Mputu are very athletic and can score; they need to be on the floor, and not on the bench. The difference in this game was the athleticism of the Rice squad, who was able to put pressure and defend against our lesser athletic players when they needed to. And as good as Blasiqh is shooting, she is not very athletic, and it showed in the last few seconds when she missed two threes in the last 15 seconds of the game.

15 minutes ago, Cmr3 said:

Blasigh Is good but she can’t really drive in. In previous years we had players that could shoot and if they closed out on them they could drive in. We have no go to dominant player like the last couple years, it would help if we had Sammie, but she’s out for the year so it is what it is.

As much as I like Puisis, she's really not good at driving either. And I agree with your assessment of Blasigh; she has difficulty scoring against decent defenders. I long for the day when Aarnio proves to everyone what she can do. I have posted her highlight tape several times, where they show her matched up against Brito and making Brito look stupid by repeatedly scoring on her and stealing the ball from her. They are the same height and Aarnio is a better shooter, better ball-handler, quicker, and much more skilled than Brito. I also long for the day of Amy Thompson, who I hope remains committed.

10 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

She went 3-4 with limited time on the court today

Mputu is now 18-30 (60%) from the floor this year. How do you keep this production on the bench?

I will post this again in case any you has not seen it yet. Tell me that this is not a sleeping giant on the bench. Look at her ability to get to the hoop and score. Wilson can't do that; Alvarez can't do that; Blasigh can't do that; Asensio can't do that. Imagine how much she could open things up for Blasigh. You can't look at this tape and tell me that she would not bring major improvements to this offense.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

Next season will be better…..