• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Stadium Glow Up: More Attractive to P4?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  956
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

You solve for the issues of no one wanting to go to the games, the proper solution isn’t to spend millions to make the problem look marginally less bad.

I don’t think the point was “looks less bad”. The way I have always looked at it is that with a bad football team, less students will travel to Ray Jay as opposed to walking across campus. The more the students go to games, typically, the more loyal they will be. Getting alumni back to campus and having family with them will create new Bulls fans that can fall in love with the campus and schools after spending time there, rather than a parking lot waiting to going into the Buccaneers stadium. It’s a better “college football” environment that has a better experience for new and old students. So, yes, spending millions on a project that can help being more people in campus is worth it!! My opinion of course. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,055
  • Days Won:  38

8 minutes ago, michibull said:

more the students go to games, typically, the more loyal they will be. Getting alumni back to campus and having family with them will create new Bulls fans that can fall in love with the campus

I agree with all of this.  It's going to be crazy (and nostalgic) to be on campus each game week.

Edited by Rocky Style
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,252
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, michibull said:

I don’t think the point was “looks less bad”. The way I have always looked at it is that with a bad football team, less students will travel to Ray Jay as opposed to walking across campus. The more the students go to games, typically, the more loyal they will be. Getting alumni back to campus and having family with them will create new Bulls fans that can fall in love with the campus and schools after spending time there, rather than a parking lot waiting to going into the Buccaneers stadium. It’s a better “college football” environment that has a better experience for new and old students. So, yes, spending millions on a project that can help being more people in campus is worth it!! My opinion of course. 

Except students have no problem making it to Ray Jay, far greater make it to the stadium to tailgate than make it inside and none have an issue getting there for Taylor Swift, the issue is that no one wants to go into the games. Moving locations solves that problem for one year (as people like to check out new things) but after that we need to solve for what people actually have a problem with and that is AAC football. If we don't have a solution for that committing to 40 years of this nonsense doesn't seem like the best idea and the games can easily be handled at Corbett. Did the Sundome move when we remodeled and rebranded because it used to get way more student attendance and yet for some reason it doesn't .

Kenny Rogers Gambling GIF

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,055
  • Days Won:  38

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

we need to solve for what people actually have a problem with and that is AAC

Right which is why I am asking does this stadium make us more or less attractive to P2+ conferences.

Just now, Rocky Style said:

Right which is why I am asking does this stadium make us more or less attractive to P2+ conferences.

I have already answered this.  The answer is at best a push (being super generous because people are excited and it is the holidays), which is why this is not what you waste your last strike on. No one has made anything that can be marginally interpreted as a tangible way this positively impacts anything actually important. The entire thing is I go to every game, I don't care who we play, no additional people are going to come with me to the games but I wanted an OCS back when there was a coherent argument so the thought of doing this no matter how stupid it undeniably is will compel me to pretend this is somehow great.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  847

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

What do you think? 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

Engaging and expanding the USF fan base is the most important thing for moving up. The stadium will help but winning, including and may be even more importantly OOC games, is the only solution to the problem. 

Next up, win the bowl game. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  956

37 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Except students have no problem making it to Ray Jay, far greater make it to the stadium to tailgate than make it inside and none have an issue getting there for Taylor Swift, the issue is that no one wants to go into the games. Moving locations solves that problem for one year (as people like to check out new things) but after that we need to solve for what people actually have a problem with and that is AAC football. If we don't have a solution for that committing to 40 years of this nonsense doesn't seem like the best idea and the games can easily be handled at Corbett. Did the Sundome move when we remodeled and rebranded because it used to get way more student attendance and yet for some reason it doesn't .

Kenny Rogers Gambling GIF

All of your points are valid. It really depends on how you look at it. From an expansion point of view having an OCS is a plus. We all know that winning is king; so my answer for the OP is, more attractive. 

As for an OCS, I’ll keep it brief. Nearly all G5 schools have an OCS, depending on how good the team is, is how good the attendance is. Regardless of conference affiliation, we will have a football team. To that point, from a team, school, student and alumni experience, an OCS is better, so build it; plain a simple. The stadium will be paid off so let’s not cry about the “last strike”, we will have a football team regardless, so give them a real home and our current students and alumni a reason to come back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, michibull said:

All of your points are valid. It really depends on how you look at it. From an expansion point of view having an OCS is a plus. We all know that winning is king; so my answer for the OP is, more attractive. 

As for an OCS, I’ll keep it brief. Nearly all G5 schools have an OCS, depending on how good the team is, is how good the attendance is. Regardless of conference affiliation, we will have a football team. To that point, from a team, school, student and alumni experience, an OCS is better, so build it; plain a simple. The stadium will be paid off so let’s not cry about the “last strike”, we will have a football team regardless, so give them a real home and our current students and alumni a reason to come back. 

Almost all teams in college football at any level have an OCS but the distribution does not seem to be any worse for off campus in the power conferences than in G5 conferences which would seem to indicate that no conference cares about such things. 

I think most of my disagreements with anyone is timing, college football is in flux and we are stuck at an impasse. In 2005 this is a great idea and when we are able to not be in flux it can be a great idea again. Right now it seems to be who is in the best locations (we got that one in spades), who is able to take the least money and who has the splashiest name recognition. Every effort should be towards taking care of that until we move up or are completely positive that is not going to happen. 

If you have nothing to lose are you more likely to bet on yourself and couch surf for lower pay knowing that will pay off in less than a decade or are you more likely to do that while holding a mortgage?

Someone posted about NIL possibly becoming more direct with Universities now, is that easier to come up with money from shaking the trees still flush with fruit or the ones you just shook and did not have the first fruit even hit the ground yet?

Let's say Nick Saban wants to retire in Florida but he needs $15 million a year, is it easier now than it would have been a year ago. 

We were untethered we should have been able to pivot on a dime and raising cash from these people was obviously quite possible, find the things of consequence and do those. 

When the chips fall as they may you then decide what you are going to commit yourself to for pretty close to forever and not before. This is only a thing because clueless people panicked when we were left behind, again and instead of making any effort to deal with any problems they decided they had to let UCF write their narrative for them, its sad.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,690
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

Almost all teams in college football at any level have an OCS but the distribution does not seem to be any worse for off campus in the power conferences than in G5 conferences which would seem to indicate that no conference cares about such things. 

I think most of my disagreements with anyone is timing, college football is in flux and we are stuck at an impasse. In 2005 this is a great idea and when we are able to not be in flux it can be a great idea again. Right now it seems to be who is in the best locations (we got that one in spades), who is able to take the least money and who has the splashiest name recognition. Every effort should be towards taking care of that until we move up or are completely positive that is not going to happen. 

If you have nothing to lose are you more likely to bet on yourself and couch surf for lower pay knowing that will pay off in less than a decade or are you more likely to do that while holding a mortgage?

Someone posted about NIL possibly becoming more direct with Universities now, is that easier to come up with money from shaking the trees still flush with fruit or the ones you just shook and did not have the first fruit even hit the ground yet?

Let's say Nick Saban wants to retire in Florida but he needs $15 million a year, is it easier now than it would have been a year ago. 

We were untethered we should have been able to pivot on a dime and raising cash from these people was obviously quite possible, find the things of consequence and do those. 

When the chips fall as they may you then decide what you are going to commit yourself to for pretty close to forever and not before. This is only a thing because clueless people panicked when we were left behind, again and instead of making any effort to deal with any problems they decided they had to let UCF write their narrative for them, its sad.

I actually read this whole thing and agree with your assessment almost completely. I said a long time ago that we're a decade behind the times and the NIL is/will be the most important thing. A better conference would be nice but if you can pay players enough $$$ you'll bring in the talent no matter the location of the stadium.

• Upvote 1