• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women's Basketball Tonight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Played something like 13 players. Definitely our deepest team ever. Really liked what I saw with the exception of about 4 minutes in the 4th quarter, but that's a good lesson to learn. Going to be a fun season. 

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

Watched it on the plus

Always a good night when we win

This is USFs most successful program I might actually do my sanity a favor and pay attention to this program this year instead of the endless black hole of suffering that is USF football 

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

On a down note, per CJF, Caitlin McGee suffered a career-ending injury in practice and won't be returning.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

Notes from the game. First, I liked that lots of players saw action. I was begging for that early last season so that the bench players could gain experience.

Gonzalez, Alvarez, and Brito looked like they have improved their game, Gonzalez more than the other two. Most apparent were their ball-handling. Brito did attempt a no-look, behind the head pass and turned it over. She had many turnovers like that last year. Her shooting does not seem to be improved, but her quickness and taking it to the hoop and finishing seem to have improved.

Wilson's shooting does not appear to be any better; however, she only took 3 shots.

Watching highlights of Blasigh from Europe, I saw a good shooter, who needed to improve her game when heavily guarded. This weakness in her game was still apparent last night. She seemed to score at will until they started guarding her, which resulted in her turning the ball over a lot. I saw her also make a couple questionable decisions. From the right side, she had the option to go right for a somewhat easy layup; instead, she took it left into traffic to take a shot from the middle. While she scored 15 points, it should come with caution. If teams defend her, I see her turning the ball over quite a bit.

In the summer, I watched the first half of a FIBA game to see what we were getting with Judit Valero. She looked awful in that game. She played 3 minutes last night and looked awful.

In her 14 minutes, Evelien, the transfer forward from Cal, scored 6 points, including making a couple of low post baskets that displayed her great low post moves. She and Johansson grabbed a team high 7 rebounds. She also blocked 3 shots.

I don't know what the deal is with Aarnio. She only played 4 minutes last night. I don't if it is because she is playing out of position. I think she is the best point guard on the team but she is not playing that position. Blasigh got a lot of playing time, but I fear she will continue to struggle if guarded closely. I don't think that there is anyone on the team who is as good as Aarnio at being heavily guarded but still taking it to the hoop and finishing besides Levy.

Finally, the team shot poorly from the field, especially from deep (24%). That will need to improve.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,092
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: Monday, Nov. 6, 2023

STORY: https://gobulls.co/3se1jml

BOXSCORE: https://gobulls.co/3sqLrNd

HIGHLIGHTS: https://gobulls.co/3Sqv0Lx

POSTGAME PRESSER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwRcn8X9Ebo&t=1s

Gonzalez And Blasigh Combine For 31 Points In Season-Opening Victory

Tampa, Fla. Nov. 6, 2023  Sophomore forward Daniela Gonzalez (Career-high 16 points) had a near-perfect night on the floor (6-6 FG, 1-1 3PT, 3-4 FT), in the University of South Florida’s (1-0) 76-61 season-opening victory against UT Arlington (0-1) on Monday night in the Yuengling Center.

Freshman guard Vittoria Blasigh wrapped up her debut for the Bulls with 15 points, nine of which were from 3-pointers. Two other USF performers rounded out the double-figure scorers, as r-junior forward Romi Levi and sophomore wing Carla Brito finished the night with 10 points apiece.

R-senior guard Aerial Wilson helped out tonight, handing out a team-high eight assists on the night, just two shy of tying her career-best effort. Center Sophomore Emma Johansson grabbed a personal-best seven boards and led USF with five defensive rebounds.

The visiting Mavericks were paced by senior forward Avery Brittingham, who led the visitors with a 16-point showing.

COACH FERNANDEZ SAID

“I told my team in the locker room that we are going to have to play a lot better than that,” said head coach Jose Fernandez. “We are playing a lot of guys that haven’t had featured minutes before, and they just concern themselves on one end of the floor. We played everyone so they all got a good opportunity.”

NOTABLE NUMBERS

• The Bulls now hold a 3-2 advantage in the all-time parings with UT Arlington.
  • Tonight’s Starting Lineup: Maria Alvarez, Emma Johansson, Daniela Gonzalez, Aerial Wilson, and Romi Levy.
  • With the victory, USF now has a record of 35-17 in season openers and the Bulls are winners of 10 straight lid lifters.
  • Levy (10-points), Blasigh (15-points), and Evelien Lutje Schipholt (6-points) scored their first points for the green and gold.
  • The Bulls held the lead for a total of 38:49 minutes of action.
  • L’or Mputu and Judit Valero Rodriguez saw their first action for the Bulls.
  • USF led in UT Arlington in points in the paint, 38-14.

UP NEXT

South Florida welcomes Stetson on Friday, Nov. 10, to the friendly confines of the Yuengling Center. Tip-off is slated for 4:00 p.m. and the action will air live on ESPN+. Friday’s game is also Student Appreciation Night.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

13 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Brito did attempt a no-look, behind the head pass and turned it over. She had many turnovers like that last year

Talked to her about that. She knows she needs to tone down the crazy passes.  

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

10 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Talked to her about that. She knows she needs to tone down the crazy passes.  

I love the energy that she brings to the floor, but she just needs to learn how to control it a bit more. I think she will continue to grow and improve and be a team leader by her Senior season. 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals and a block in just 14 minutes of playing time is impressive. Her one blemish was the bad pass. 

Edited by BullyPulpit

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,733
  • Days Won:  0

34 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I love the energy that she brings to the floor, but she just needs to learn how to control it a bit more. I think she will continue to grow and improve and be a team leader by her Senior season. 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals and a block in just 14 minutes of playing time is impressive. Her one blemish was the bad pass. 

Brito is my favorite player on this team. She brings joy and an element of fire and fun to the game. I hope she doesn't lose that as she matures. Dobras used to have that flash back in the day. I still remember him dishing a fast break pass in the lane under his leg mid-jump for a Fred Lewis layup. As long as Brito picks her moments to be flashy and is smarter about it, I say let her cook!  😁🤘

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

53 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

13 minutes ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

Brito is my favorite player on this team. She brings joy and an element of fire and fun to the game. I hope she doesn't lose that as she matures. Dobras used to have that flash back in the day. I still remember him dishing a fast break pass in the lane under his leg mid-jump for a Fred Lewis layup. As long as Brito picks her moments to be flashy and is smarter about it, I say let her cook!  😁🤘

Other than the 1 pass she played with passion but mostly under control. Think there was a play when she stole the ball and beat 2 of their players downcourt. My favorite player for now too.  She looks a little quicker this year IIRC.  Trying to think back as to other players that played with that joy. Thinking it was Laura Ferreira maybe. Ariadna Pujol was another one.  Work hard but enjoy playing the game.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Good first game. I would like to see Wilson and Alvarez be a little more aggressive. Johansson seemed a little slimmer and a step quicker. Liked Levy's blocked shots. PLEASE don't ever change Brito's style. She'll get smarter with experience.