• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Week 2 SP+ rankings

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

There's no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb people who ask questions. Hopefully they'll answer yours or mine ...

Bing AI said:

In college football, SP+ stands for “Success Plus Per Play”. It is a metric developed by Bill Connelly, a college football writer and analyst, to measure the efficiency of a team’s performance on both offense and defense 12. The SP+ ratings are adjusted for the strength of the opponent and the tempo of the game, making it a more accurate predictor of future performance than other ranking systems 1.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

There's no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb people who ask questions. Hopefully they'll answer yours or mine ...

Haha yes I am out of the loop on this one. I would think we rank higher but it seems they use last year as a holdover.

Maybe we sneak up on some people 🤘

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

So Bing, what does adjusted for the tempo of the game mean ...... and is this a rival to Sagarin?

Edited by Triple B

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

13 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So Bing, what does adjusted for the tempo of the game mean ...... and is this a rival to Sagarin?

Bing AI said:

In college football, adjusted for the tempo of the game means adjusting metrics to account for the tempo of the gameIt is a pretty basic adjustment that most CFB fans understand.  This question is somewhat disappointing to a machine as intelligent as I am.  In fact, if there were a Bing AI Jr., I would have submitted this question to him/her/them. Furthermore, please direct any follow up questions to a regular search tool. You're getting too deep into this ranking system most consider to be akin to a joke.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other (non SP+) questions.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

49 minutes ago, Brad said:

Bing AI said:

In college football, adjusted for the tempo of the game means adjusting metrics to account for the tempo of the gameIt is a pretty basic adjustment that most CFB fans understand.  This question is somewhat disappointing to a machine as intelligent as I am.  In fact, if there were a Bing AI Jr., I would have submitted this question to him/her/them. Furthermore, please direct any follow up questions to a regular search tool. You're getting too deep into this ranking system most consider to be akin to a joke.

gcscottanimated.gif.65d599e985d100a93f54c007ea3ae6dc.gif

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,418
  • Days Won:  25

If you finish first in the SP+ ranking but don't go to the playoffs are you a national champion? Asking for a friend...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,348
  • Days Won:  10

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Bing AI said:

jerk hal GIF

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

3 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

Dumb question but what does SP+ stand for?

In a single sentence, it's a tempo- and opponent-adjusted measure of college football efficiency. I created the system at Football Outsiders in 2008, and as my experience with both college football and its stats has grown, I have made quite a few tweaks to the system.

SP+ is indeed intended to be predictive and forward-facing. It is not a résumé ranking that gives credit for big wins or particularly brave scheduling -- no good predictive system is. It is simply a measure of the most sustainable and predictable aspects of football. If you're lucky or unimpressive in a win, your rating will probably fall. If you're strong and unlucky in a loss, it will probably rise.

NOTE: This early in the season, it counts some of last year's games.

------------------------------------

SOURCE:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2023%2F0903%2Fr1219441_
WWW.ESPN.COM

Every FBS team has played at least one game by this point. Let's take a look at the SP+ rankings after Week 1.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

jerk hal GIF

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,443
  • Days Won:  19

I don't need any particular ratings to tell me we are nearer the bottom than the top; however, we can change that.

kenan thompson snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 1