• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What can be fixed -vs- what can't

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

13 hours ago, hm101 said:

BB... maybe we get some better decisions and accuracy at the margin towards the middle of the season. He looked so uncomfortable today, the hole is too deep. 

Caveat: It's hard to tell what is happing from our crappy seats at the game, and I didn't see the game angles yet but...

My take on this is that maybe he was rattled from getting swarmed at the O line constantly.  Maybe the high tempo is too much for the offense right now?  He had a cleaner pocket last year and was hitting receivers in motion on their hands.  The long pass play in WKU was one we don't normally hit with our QBs. 

Not literally comparing to Mike White but remember he threw pretty balls but when he was swarmed he was toast.  

I'm wondering if we are going back to status quo where we need to have a running primary QB again...  Too soon to tell.

But all the comments that he is "not accurate" were weird to me when he started the game accurate and was last year.

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Didn't the TN system come from Oviedo?  It was pretty successful there

Yes it did.  And if you look at the offensive scheme at C vs. TN you can see how Goach made changes based on the level of talent he had available to him.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

48 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

I think the desire to fire a coach after one game is something we'll never fix.

It’s not rational - at all. It’s a symptom of a starving fan base. I don’t agree with it, but I understand it. We’ve been beaten down. It’s no more rational than what the reaction would have been if Golesh had won his debut. He’d be Vince Lombardi today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  329
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

It’s not rational - at all. It’s a symptom of a starving fan base. I don’t agree with it, but I understand it. We’ve been beaten down. It’s no more rational than what the reaction would have been if Golesh had won his debut. He’d be Vince Lombardi today.

I think we've come to the realization that we need to win now and get into a better conference in the next year or two or the program is essentially dead. It's desperation mode for us. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

11 minutes ago, Bullcocky said:

I think we've come to the realization that we need to win now and get into a better conference in the next year or two or the program is essentially dead. It's desperation mode for us. 

Absolutely right, and that’s why I thought it was an odd hire at the time and we needed to go with a guy like Tom Herman instead of a first-time head coach. But we went the way we did and that comes with its own set of built-in “give the guy time” expectations. It’s where we are.

It’s the same reason I thought we needed Mike Brey so badly - we don’t have time on our side. But we have what we have and we’ll keep pulling hard and find out.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Bullcocky said:

I have no problem with what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure that a conference upgrade didn't hinge on the outcome of Game 1 of the Golesh era. For the people who are already in full panic mode, I'm curious what their expectations for the season were exactly? WKU on the road was probably one of the more difficult tasks we'll face this season, and one of the most likely Ls, especially for a team projected to win just 4.5 games this year. Just looking through our schedule, I believe this team looks good enough to get to 6 wins, and go bowling. Is that not a reasonable expectation? We do need to start winning soon, but it seems kind of overzealous to bury Golesh after game 1. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

4 hours ago, Bullcocky said:

The program may be "essentially dead" to certain "fans" in the next year or two if we don't get into a better conference but there will still be a program ...... with a new stadium being built.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The program may be "essentially dead" to certain "fans" in the next year or two if we don't get into a better conference but there will still be a program ...... with a new stadium being built.

We need to build our own identity and make it fun.  It can work.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

1 minute ago, Rocky Style said:

We need to build our own identity and make it fun.  It can work.

Just win, baby ...... however long it takes.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I am (not suprisingly) going against the doom and gloom opinions of most on this board with my own opinion.

Ranking 3rd in the nation in rushing is a pretty darn good sign and counters the argument of "we are merely running into the line every play."  If we finish the season in the Top 10 in rushing we are going to win games.

Also, the DB play yesterday was light years of anything we have seen the last two years.  My opinion is that this is a huge improvement.

I will also opine that everything is fixable. Some things in a couple of games as the coaching staff and players take the next step and make adjustments.  Some things will take longer, but we have a couple of anchors to build off of.  Not the least of which is the running game.