• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What can be fixed -vs- what can't

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this wasnt the tennessee offense

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

10 hours ago, hm101 said:

The OL does not seem fixable this season. Maybe next time don't hire a 26 year old from our rival to lead the rebuild?

BB... maybe we get some better decisions and accuracy at the margin towards the middle of the season. He looked so uncomfortable today, the hole is too deep. 

The penalties, fixable sure.

The DL again probably not fixable this season. If we can't get a sack against WKU I don't know what to say. 

The backs were close to some picks today so I'll say we get improvement there

Playcalling nope - more up the middles are on the menu this year

TE - I hope they get more involved; I didn't see any action over the middle or out to TEs today, or very little

Tackling was actually OK today

I'm changing my prediction from over 4.5 wins to under. It's clear this is another "learning on the job" gig at the top, and we have too many young guys on the roster. Tulane can turn it around, Colorado can turn it around - I don't know how else to read the situation other than we don't have any urgency to win games. I hope Golesh is the guy and can pull a rabbit out of the hat this season. 

yeah it only took tulane's coach 7 years to turn it around....he went 2-10 in year 6.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

57 minutes ago, smazza said:

It will be interesting to see if he can run his TN system effectively when he has suboptimal talent. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Did anyone watch more than just USF yesterday?

Outside of a handful of teams -- those that relied on the transfer portal all had challenges.

This OL will be fine, but it takes playing in multiple games for the OL to learn to play as a unit instead of five individuals.

Plus, let's not forget Byrum Brown is an 18 year old kid who just made his THIRD career start.

There is NOTHING on this team that CANNOT be fixed.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Just now, 00Bull said:

It will be interesting to see if he can run his TN system effectively when he has suboptimal talent. 

Didn't the TN system come from Oviedo?  It was pretty successful there

• Like 1

• Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Didn't the TN system come from Oviedo?  It was pretty successful there

Pretty sure that UCFs talent in 2020, coming off of Scott Frost tenure, was significantly better and deeper than USFs is in 2023. They were also 6-4 that year but  that was also in part due to a bad defense.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I'll take the 540 total yards. clean up the turnovers and we win this game.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, belgianbull said:

So Golesh has an hercuean task in front of him because of nill,..., but WKU can manage to be a good team, and hold on to their top QB?

Just sounds as an excuse to me . All group of 5 teams are in the same boat.

Seriously?  All Group of 5 teams are NOT in the same boat.  How does USF’s record over the past 5 years compare to all other Group of 5 teams?  How many coaches has USF gone thru over the past 5 years compared to all other Group of 5 teams?  What does USF offer in NIL benefits compared to all other Group of 5 teams?  Etc. etc.   Remember, recruiting (and retention) has A LOT to do with PERCEPTION & PROMISES (kept and unkept).

Since you referenced WKU let’s use them as an example.  If you were a “recruit” or an existing player would you rather play at WKU or USF based on all known factors?  Other than Tampa weather is there ANY reason you would pick USF over WKU now or over the past few years?  If you were on last year’s WKU team is there any reason you would leave WKU to come to USF?  If you’re not getting much playing time at WKU and you think you can start at USF that would be a reason but what does that say about USF?  A guy who doesn’t play much at WKU can be a starter at USF, really?

Goach has a HUGE task ahead of him but it would have been the same no matter who they (reasonably could have) hired.  And Prime Time was NEVER going to go to USF and bring his “gang of mercenaries” with him.  USF is lucky they have such as soft schedule this year.  It hurts to be in the AAC but imagine if USF went to the Big 12 this year.  What do you think the over / under would be for wins this season would be?  2.5?  How do you rebuild a program when you become viewed as the doormat of the Big 12?  You don’t.  (There’s that PERCEPTION thing again).  It’s going to be a long rebuilding process.  USF is going to lose good players along the way to the portal and when they do it’s going to be tough to replace them with equal talent.  And unfortunately, if Goach succeeds in rebuilding the program, in all likelihood you’re going to lose him along the way as well. 

• Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, smazza said:

Because USF doesn’t have Tennessee talent.  I never expected to see the Tennessee offense in year 1 let alone game 1.  I hope you didn’t either.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

I think the desire to fire a coach after one game is something we'll never fix.

• Upvote 1