• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ah, those academic folks . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

20 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Has NOTHING to do with the work of our counselors, the seriousness of the students, or choosing a school because of football . . . but it has plenty to do with the visibility their athletic success has had in creating name recognition for the university. So students who never would have heard of UCF or checked them out in the past are now giving them a look, and like what they see enough to consider applying and perhaps enrolling.

seems like a small sample size.

probably tough to measure the actual academic benefits UCF might derive from a few extra applications.

I believe you said applications are up in the entire state anyway.

If I can't use the fact that applications are up at USF to an all time high even though we are losing then you probably can't use the fact that applications are up at UCF because they are winning.

Look I'm not against the OCS or anything else athletics related.

People just need to stop fooling themselves that by building football factories these schools are somehow benefiting academically. It's simply not the case.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,733
  • Days Won:  0

The stadium is coming, so... 

Let's GO BULLS!! 😁🤘

• Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

seems like a small sample size.

probably tough to measure the actual academic benefits UCF might derive from a few extra applications.

I believe you said applications are up in the entire state anyway.

If I can't use the fact that applications are up at USF to an all time high even though we are losing then you probably can't use the fact that applications are up at UCF because they are winning.

All I can tell you is that I've been at this school since 2004 and we sent a handful of kids to UCF - ever - until they became somewhat of a recognizable name by winning football games. Since that time, we send multiple kids (2-3) there every year. Can't imagine we're some sort of isolated example or it's just an odd coincidence. If it is directly attributed to the rise in their added visibility because of football, then it is definitely a benefit beyond athletics. I can't speak for all schools, but our kids come ready as college freshmen - and I do have measurable data on that.  🙂 

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

5 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

NO, athletics will not fund the academic side. I don't think anyone is making that argument. But that's not what we're talking about here. The study I want to see is how successful athletics impacts applications to a university, the number and quality of the applicants, school fundraising, membership in the alumni association, etc. Those things do impact the academic side of the university.

I think Outlaw was making that argument. That's why I asked. I couldn't imagine that most actually make money. A friend that is a Kentucky fan told me that their Athletic Dept did fund an academic building. So it can happen but imagine it is rare.

• Upvote 1

Despite the headline, the story gives us multiple examples of how it is a "slam dunk" when it comes to significant increases in applications, complete with graphs . . . 

promo-ncaa-applicants1206.jpg

At times, a college experiences a spike in applications after a football or basketball success. It’s known as the ‘Flutie Effect.’

nc

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Do you think every student chooses a school for the academics?

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

I should hope so. otherwise they aren't a serious student.

Well let's pretend two school's academic chops are equal or very close.  Do you go where the football/student life is much better?  Or do hotter chicks rule everywhere?

• Haha 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Besides, nobody I talked to out here knew of South Florida (USF) until after 2007.  At least now people west of the Mississippi are aware of the school that once played good football and has now increased it's academic standing (they don't know that, I do).

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

9 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Despite the headline, the story gives us multiple examples of how it is a "slam dunk" when it comes to significant increases in applications, complete with graphs . . . 

promo-ncaa-applicants1206.jpg

At times, a college experiences a spike in applications after a football or basketball success. It’s known as the ‘Flutie Effect.’

nc

It's been a long time since I read about it, but I could swear I read something toward the front end of the Saban dynasty at Bama (probably 2 or 3 titles in) that Bama's academic profile had increased quite a bit since Saban showed up. Now ... how far down they were is something I've been unable to find, but they're currently at like 160-something according to US News and World Report, so it's not like they're exactly world beaters at this point either

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Not bad for a school with terrible athletics these last 10 years. Not sure where UCF is ranked.

USF continues to hold the distinction of being the fastest-rising university in America, as no university in the country has risen higher in the rankings over the past 10 years than USF.  In that time USF has jumped a remarkable 52 spots among public universities, from No. 94 to No. 42, and 73 spots among all universities, from No. 170 to No. 97.

new-article.png

USF now stands at No. 42 among all public universities and continues to be America’s fastest-rising university.

Edited by Bull94

6 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Not bad for a school with terrible athletics these last 10 years.

USF continues to hold the distinction of being the fastest-rising university in America, as no university in the country has risen higher in the rankings over the past 10 years than USF.  In that time USF has jumped a remarkable 52 spots among public universities, from No. 94 to No. 42, and 73 spots among all universities, from No. 170 to No. 97.

new-article.png

USF now stands at No. 42 among all public universities and continues to be America’s fastest-rising university.

Did we say winning games and investing in athletics was the only path to a university's success? No. We said it helps.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 1