• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ran into CJL at Gasparilla today

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,410
  • Days Won:  3

I'm surprised our leadership hasn't brought him back in just for the financial aspect. However, i also wouldn't be surpised if CJL tells them to F right off 🤣

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

On 1/28/2023 at 8:48 PM, USFBulls12 said:

Well, considering it ruined his life as it was and the life he lived was not the one he set out to live, I can respect him holding onto those feelings. From my understanding, he poured his entire being into USF and it was all taken away from him and life was never quite the same from that point forward.

I would like to have my life ruined by getting to spend 25 years coaching football and making bank.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

10 hours ago, jg233 said:

This is kinda funny...pretty sure they just gave Gauntt a courtesy start for all his hard work.  Had a class with some players, including Blackwell, that year.

Not a chance Jim gives anyone a courtesy start. He was all business on the field... think Emperor Palpatine.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

On 1/28/2023 at 8:48 PM, USFBulls12 said:

Well, considering it ruined his life as it was and the life he lived was not the one he set out to live, I can respect him holding onto those feelings. From my understanding, he poured his entire being into USF and it was all taken away from him and life was never quite the same from that point forward.

ruined his life?

getting fired may have did him a favor on many fronts

most aspiring football coaches wished they had his life

he only has himself to blame.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,455

Yeah, "ruined his life" seems a bit dramatic.  He may be understandably bitter about certain things but his overall career (and life) path seems to have been pretty positive since the split with USF.  I think his posts online have generally reflected that as well.  I sorta liken it to divorce.  I may not have any warm and fuzzies about my exes and they may have cost me a lot financially, but without those breakups I wouldn't be enjoying the life and family I have today.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

Yeah, "ruined his life" seems a bit dramatic.  He may be understandably bitter about certain things but his overall career (and life) path seems to have been pretty positive since the split with USF.  I think his posts online have generally reflected that as well.  I sorta liken it to divorce.  I may not have any warm and fuzzies about my exes and they may have cost me a lot financially, but without those breakups I wouldn't be enjoying the life and family I have today.

I'll use your comparison to divorce as to why I said "ruined his life". What if you were happily married to the woman of your dreams. You two have been together since your earliest years. You thought everything was great and you didn't want anything else in life. You were completely set on being married to this woman for the rest of your life. One day after a misunderstanding, she comes to you and says she wants a divorce and never talks to you again. You just had everything you've known and worked toward pulled out from underneath you. Sure you can say a lot of things about her, the reason why you're better off, it wasn't going to workout anyway, etc..whatever you want. But if you were completely satisfied with everything and wanted no one else but her, it's going to hurt like hell for a long time. Maybe forever. "Life ruined" doesn't need to mean you're living on the streets, having no other levels of success and starving. Life is whatever you define it as. His life was USF football. You take that away and his life, as it was, is ruined. I know the connotation of that statement "ruined his life" can be widely interpreted, I never meant he could never have any other levels of success and happiness after that. All I meant was the life that he had, that he wanted, that he seemingly never want to change, was forever ruined. He never got to have his second forever partner. He dated around a lot, had some fun, but is still missing a piece of himself.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

35 minutes ago, USFBulls12 said:

I'll use your comparison to divorce as to why I said "ruined his life". What if you were happily married to the woman of your dreams. You two have been together since your earliest years. You thought everything was great and you didn't want anything else in life. You were completely set on being married to this woman for the rest of your life. One day after a misunderstanding, she comes to you and says she wants a divorce and never talks to you again. You just had everything you've known and worked toward pulled out from underneath you. Sure you can say a lot of things about her, the reason why you're better off, it wasn't going to workout anyway, etc..whatever you want. But if you were completely satisfied with everything and wanted no one else but her, it's going to hurt like hell for a long time. Maybe forever. "Life ruined" doesn't need to mean you're living on the streets, having no other levels of success and starving. Life is whatever you define it as. His life was USF football. You take that away and his life, as it was, is ruined. I know the connotation of that statement "ruined his life" can be widely interpreted, I never meant he could never have any other levels of success and happiness after that. All I meant was the life that he had, that he wanted, that he seemingly never want to change, was forever ruined. He never got to have his second forever partner. He dated around a lot, had some fun, but is still missing a piece of himself.

Dude, it's alright ... there's other fish in the sea

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,536
  • Days Won:  25

At the end of the day Usf football was in a much better under Leavitt. We were in a power conference and beating top 25 teams. We have failed on hires since him so far and are losing to some of the worst teams in fbs football. We are the doormat  of fbs football and hopefully Golesh is the guy to help get us back to relevance. Unfortunately until we get a coach with sustained success and climb our way back to power football status ans being top 25 teams we will always think of the best days of the football program under Leavitt. The program is on life support and under the godfather  we had excitement and energy we have yet to find since.

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,455

55 minutes ago, USFBulls12 said:
3 hours ago, SilverBull said:

Most of what you described above is true of my situation.  I was married once for 25 years, with the thought and a lifetime of planning and work devoted to that being my forever.  My life centered around my wife.  I worked my ass off to take care of her, both financially and emotionally.  I had paid off my home and set myself and my wife up for a comfortable early retirement for our "golden years."  Out of the blue (to me anyway) she decided another guy was her dream and in a one-month period I went from her telling me I was her "everything" to me being given my pink slip.  I was completely blindsided, crushed and still bitter about that.  I had to start again but I came to find out my life was, in fact, better than ever.  And in light of the fact that both my current bride and I knew Jim pretty well, I would think it we would opine that, in some ways, Jim leaving USF (or USF leaving Jim) actually lifted a weight from him that allowed him to live a better all-around life.