• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA Considering Expanding MBB tournament to 90 teams?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-committee-recommendation-would-expand-basketball-tournaments-to-90-teams-203829277.html

So, is this the same thing as the ever-expanding bowl season, or something worse?

It is, of course, a revenue steam - and we're all about the foldin' green - but we might be able to spin this as "greater inclusion". That's a great term.  But at what point does it become just a tad too goofy. Why stop there? Why not go for a 128-team playoff. You know the lower seeds won't go anywhere, but it'd be tougher to fire the coach because he can say "Hey, why am I being fired? We went to the big dance, right?!" Malleable facts. 

The reason I ask is, we (yes, we) are all squirmy and excited about the expanded college football playoff because now we (yes, again we) have a folding-chair seat at the big people's table. Not one of the fancy, hand crafted, oak seats - but the possibility of using the folding chair. We like that expansion. It's a great idea. 

So, is expanding the NCAAM tournament a good idea? 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

And we STILL wouldn't be in it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,024
  • Days Won:  10

That would be too many teams. Also don't like that 5-7 is now enough to earn a bowl game in football. I like the idea of having to earn it.

That said if at some point USF were to be included due to the tournament expansion I will gladly take it.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

yeah, its just a recommendation, somehow the idea is to get 25% of all schools that participated in a sport to the post-season which when you look at the pros, 14/32 NFL teams make the playoffs, i think all NHL and NBA team make the playoffs(sarcasm) even MLB, perennially the old man on the porch has expanded to 12/30, so really the 25% isn't that unrealistic. Since there are 363 teams that play basketball that would be about 90 teams. However, there are already 100 teams that make the post season between NCAA+NIT+CBI, so as usual, it comes down to the NCAA wanting a bigger slice of the pie and more $$$

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

Sounds kind of dumb from the outside, but I don't watch basketball.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

have a folding-chair seat at the big people's table

Haha, that made me laugh out loud!! Perfect term, well done!!

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Great topic for discussion for general off-season BS...

But...whether it's football or MBB, the impacts of this are kind of silly and irrelevant for our situation.  Unless you are a fan of a team who is consistently on the bubble or has been overlooked for the post-season, then this should not be of a concern.  I am a USF fan, so none of this concerns me.  I have other things to concentrate on such as trying to put 2 or 3 wins in a row together or being relevant in our conference.  Baby steps.

We'll get there someday.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

On 1/3/2023 at 11:29 PM, WoolyBully said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-committee-recommendation-would-expand-basketball-tournaments-to-90-teams-203829277.html

So, is this the same thing as the ever-expanding bowl season, or something worse?

It is, of course, a revenue steam - and we're all about the foldin' green - but we might be able to spin this as "greater inclusion". That's a great term.  But at what point does it become just a tad too goofy. Why stop there? Why not go for a 128-team playoff. You know the lower seeds won't go anywhere, but it'd be tougher to fire the coach because he can say "Hey, why am I being fired? We went to the big dance, right?!" Malleable facts. 

The reason I ask is, we (yes, we) are all squirmy and excited about the expanded college football playoff because now we (yes, again we) have a folding-chair seat at the big people's table. Not one of the fancy, hand crafted, oak seats - but the possibility of using the folding chair. We like that expansion. It's a great idea. 

So, is expanding the NCAAM tournament a good idea? 

At this point you might as well combine the NIT tournament with the NCAAM tournament. 90 teams is waaaay to much. 

Edited by Gatorbull325