• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Officially embraced mid-major

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Was agreeing with you. 

I’m not in the Iron Bull category. Can’t afford it. But what we do donate to our scholarship fund doesn’t count toward our donation level for Bulls Club status. Our donation as far as that goes is what we pay for tickets. Every thing else is to help a needy athlete complete their education.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

30 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I’m not in the Iron Bull category.

I got a war chest but earmarked for stadium seat licenses or whatever else (buying bricks yada yada).  

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,885
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

I'm not a college athlete. From a fan perspective it already has started doing damage. Between that and the free agency transfer portal this is becoming crapshow.  A guy we supported from the Bullspen transfers to our cross state competitor for, I'm guessing here, mo money leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

I know I'm old so I'm used to players being with teams close to forever. Even when Mays went to the Mets to end his career I didn't like that. I was in the same job for 31 years so I just don't love seeing players bounce from team to team. 

I am with you Cuz, we can’t go back but this will kill the enthusiasm around CFB.  I used to love the MLB and NBA but now don’t watch it at all, don’t even know the players or coaches anymore. I guess I have officially become a grumpy old man complaining about the new way things are done.  this may be good for the players which is good for them but the popularity of this sport has peaked and has and will continue to contract as it fades into insignificance.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I'm not a college athlete. From a fan perspective it already has started doing damage. Between that and the free agency transfer portal this is becoming crapshow.  A guy we supported from the Bullspen transfers to our cross state competitor for, I'm guessing here, mo money leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

I know I'm old so I'm used to players being with teams close to forever. Even when Mays went to the Mets to end his career I didn't like that. I was in the same job for 31 years so I just don't love seeing players bounce from team to team. 

I get it. I'm no spring chicken. Nobody really likes change.

When schools started making it all about the money though it was only fair that the players get compensated.

I hate that some of the best geographical rivalries have been ruined by conference realignment. I also think it's ridiculous coaches/athletic directors can make millions per year while the players,some of whom come from abject poverty,haven't seen a dime.

I don't know Grier's financial situation but if he wants to get paid then I don't blame him.

Honestly I find it funny that ucf is poaching players from our roster.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

I am with you Cuz, we can’t go back but this will kill the enthusiasm around CFB.  I used to love the MLB and NBA but now don’t watch it at all, don’t even know the players or coaches anymore. I guess I have officially become a grumpy old man complaining about the new way things are done.  this may be good for the players which is good for them but the popularity of this sport has peaked and has and will continue to contract as it fades into insignificance.

Let me ask you has the popularity of MLB and NBA suffered at all ? No in fact they are making more money than ever.

College football is growing in popularity and with the new playoffs it will only continue to grow.

It may fade into insignificance with your(and my) demographic but I'm not sure they care.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,885
  • Days Won:  67

16 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Let me ask you has the popularity of MLB and NBA suffered at all ? No in fact they are making more money than ever.

College football is growing in popularity and with the new playoffs it will only continue to grow.

It may fade into insignificance with your(and my) demographic but I'm not sure they care.

I am not sure it is just our demographic, attendance is down in CFB, MLB and NBA, viewership is down, there are more revenue streams so money is there but not sure how long it will last.  Hell the playoffs went from 34 million viewers to 17 in CFB, the new playoffs will help but what does it do for the over 100 programs not in the playoffs.  Look at the stands across the country over the next 5 years and you tell me that it is gaining in popularity.  This is bigger then you and I.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

We always joke about getting old sucks. Not just for the ones doing the aging, but for our good friends in marketing who have to constantly maintain or increase revenue via whatever means available for x-demographic (out with the old, in with the new). I remember getting a survey once, from USF, about enhancing the game day experience, and one of the items was "improved wi-fi". I looked at that and said, "Why TF would I care about wi-fi? I'm here to watch the game." My demographic might not be as tethered as some other demographics, so for me it was a non-issue. But, by appearing on the survey, that's a signal that it does matter to a different, and I'm assuming younger (replacement) demographic. Could be. 

As for NIL & The Portal having a negative impact on CFB, well, it could be that CFB 2022 is not CFB 1978. Evolution. Adapt, migrate or die - those are your options. The loyalty (or perception thereof) that existed previously has been done away with. I don't necessarily like it, but I don't dislike it enough to turn off the tv in disgust.  Wasn't fond of the highly touted QB wheelin' around in a Camaro from Dollar Bill's Easy Auto (given that Bill was a big-time alumni donor) but it happened. Didn't turn off the TV in disgust back then either. 

NIL & The Portal will probably have a negative impact on schools lacking deep pockets. The best and brightest go to places where the best-and-brightest can flourish, and now the top tier athletes are going to be drawn based on potential earnings probably more so than the possibility of picking up a trophy for the alma mater.  College football has been a business for a long, long time. Now we just have to say it out loud. The office is implementing this new policy of ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

I don't know Grier's financial situation but if he wants to get paid then I don't blame him.

It could also be about getting more exposure.  Whatever, if it ends up working out good on him!  It doesn't mean we don't get to have some good natured ribbing.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Might be the silver lining in NIL. 

As fans actually engage with athletes and learn they are people too, what we see in other threads might be replaced with more civil commentary and less likely be intended to insult or personally attack a player.  Of course, the few people that habitually do that here do it to everyone and are just lacking in good upbringing and respect for others. 

I spoke to Antonio several times.  He bled green and gold.  He got injured and then the death of his father.  Whining about and attacking him is just not very decent.

Hopefully, people naturally grow out of the need to insult others constantly.  For those that have any chance of that happening, NIL interactions with athletes will help you see more than just what you assume to be true and deride a player for.  It might make some around here and the program better people.  For that reason alone I would say invest in some NIL and get to know the people you want to chastise and insult before the urge hits you.

1 minute ago, Brad said:

As fans actually engage with athletes and learn they are people too, what we see in other threads might be replaced with more civil commentary and less likely be intended to insult or personally attack a player.  Of course, the few people that habitually do that here do it to everyone and are just lacking in good upbringing and respect for others. 

There will a blurring of the lines because it takes what was traditionally inside a bubble outside of that bubble.