• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What are the critical items a football head coach must do?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

7 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I'm in the camp of culture is kind of ********. Take Joe Maddon and the Rays as an example. Bringing zoo animals into the locker room is only cute and part of culture when you're winning. You can do anything and call it culture when you're winning. I believe the best way to create a winning culture is by winning. The culture comes AFTER the wins. 

Players win games. You have better players, you win more games.

Staying with the Rays, though, did Maddon do something "culture" wise before they started winning?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  930
  • Days Won:  0

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Staying with the Rays, though, did Maddon do something "culture" wise before they started winning?

Yeah, he hired a Medicine Man to uncurse the trop lol 

i?img=%2Fi%2Fteamlogos%2Fmlb%2F500%2Ftb.

The slumping Tampa Bay Rays have turned to a Seminole medicine man to change their fortunes.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

My argument for culture and Maddon is where he's at right now. 

Players > Culture

Rays had winning players to go with winning "culture." Cubs had winning players to go with winning "culture." Angels... winning "culture" and he's fired. What's the missing link?

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

5 hours ago, JTrue said:

Players > Culture

Rays had winning players to go with winning "culture." Cubs had winning players to go with winning "culture." Angels... winning "culture" and he's fired. What's the missing link?

Coaching staffs

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

8 hours ago, beefy620 said:

Yeah, he hired a Medicine Man to uncurse the trop lol 

i?img=%2Fi%2Fteamlogos%2Fmlb%2F500%2Ftb.

The slumping Tampa Bay Rays have turned to a Seminole medicine man to change their fortunes.

Maybe we could hire this medicine man to the break the curse off of this team and Jeff Scott. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

9 hours ago, JTrue said:

Players > Culture

Like USF, a cursed team. More talent than the Rays but can't win.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

1. Win

2. Don’t choke and/or slap players

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Adapting to the strengths of the team you have. Two immediate examples I can think of below.

Urban Meyer's first years at UF: UF Did not have the players that UM needed to run the scheme that got him there (See Bowling Green and Utah) so he adapted the game plan to fit what was available.

Brian Kelly at Cincy: Specifically 2009. Their starting QB Tony Pike went down against USF and in came Zach Collaros. Their offense completely changed.

USF: 

Jim Leavitt: He was a great program builder. I do feel however that he had run his course here and was hitting a ceiling.

Skip Holtz: Maybe due to the roster availability but he tried to pigeon hole BJ Daniels as a pocket passer and had the outward appearance of a lazy recruiter.

Willie Taggart: He came in here with a West Coast, under center, run first plan that did not suit the roster. It took the players to finally come to him and say "Let us Cook" before things changed. This can also be an example of adapting on the fly because I'm pretty sure the playbook was constantly evolving that season. The second half of that season was the most fun I've had  watching USF football. They took it to a ranked Temple, DESTROYED Cincy. That developed into EXPECTING TD's on every drive in 2016.

Charlie Strong: To not watch film on what happened in 2016 and just "let them cook" in 2017 has got to be the dumbest football decision I have ever seen. Sterlin Gilbert was hot garbage. 

Jeff Scott: I don't even know where to start because nothing has really worked here. 

I type all this to say I think a HC needs to be able to adapt to what he has while recruiting for what he wants. Like Taggart always said. He recruits players to take jobs away from other players. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

On 10/18/2022 at 10:07 PM, Brad said:

Could you provide bullet points of those properties, experience or knowledge that you think would be most important?

Be cheap, be agile, be young. I’m looking to decentralize the program and would even go so far as to say that being great at X’s and O’s Would in most cases be a detriment because great X’s and O’s Coaches are not typically great across the board they are great and beholden to one specific philosophy (that only works if the jimmies and joes are all X’s and O’s and more often than not our players are triangles and squares). hole round GIF