• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If USF is cursed, what is the cause of that curse and what needs to be done to break it?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,029
  • Days Won:  38

1 hour ago, CycleBull said:

USF fans are in an uproar over the fact that someone made an anti wizard account at 1am. 

Yasssss 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

How do we support this twitter mercenary?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

It's all about CJL. That man had an offer from Alabama that he kept in his desk as a reminder. He CHOSE to stay at USF and in turn, USF crapped on him the first chance they got. I hate UCF, but think about their program... when it looked like the had a glimmer of hope, OLeary and staff ignored a player's health and he unfortunately passed. UCF stood by him, dealt with a law suit over it. If ever there was a time to part ways, that would have been it, but they showed some loyalty. We did a half arsed "investigation" and couldn't wait to kick Jim to the curb. Oh, if you all recall, CJL did win or settle his wrongful termination case... which tells me the investigation was not nearly rock solid enough to make that decision. It's like a marriage, you either work through things with your spouse, or you bail over something stupid. Obviously, there are non-negotiables that would warrant bailing out, but this wasn't it.

As if that wasn't enough of a slap in the face, they gave Holtz WAY more money for assistants than Leavitt had. They knew Leavitt didn't have the money to go out and hire a legit staff (most notably, OC), but they didn't care. Let him make things happen and pretend like it wasn't sorcery to begin with. Maybe Greg Gregory can dial up that skinny post that Grothe always struggled with so there can be message board chatter about benching Grothe for his own son. 

FFS, I think I could coach this team to 1-2 wins every season and I have never coached a down of football in my life. Leavitt I believe had 2 losing seasons, year 1 and the one where we were transitioning into the Big East and he was redshirting guys to build depth to make that move. We have had 5 seasons above .500 in the 13 years since he has been gone. One of those with his team.

But sure, let's all hope the next hire has a couple of winning seasons before moving on to greener pastures and then hope that our admin can continually hire good coaches every 2-4 years because we're sustaining success and coaches are getting poached... I bet Leavitt still has that Alabama letter in his desk. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

The curse was the president who was in charge, for 19 of the 25 years of USF Football's existence

She wanted nothing to do with USF football, and her attitude reverberated from the top down

The curse is the motto of "USF is a research university, not an athletics university"

USF cares about it's endowment fund. Not athletics, and certainly not football

USF football isn't 25 years old. It's 3 years old, it was born the day Judge Genshaft left the university.

Notice everything we've done, that we should have done 20 years ago, took place the instant she left? Locker room upgrades, IPF, OCS... NONE of those things would have taken place if Judy was still in charge

• Upvote 1

But she did have a football purse. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 1:02 PM, DrewMFA said:

Think his hat needs sacrificed, or banished from the Jumbotron to eliminate the curse he has put on us. 🧙‍♀️ 

Look like somebody was already on to him, tne USF Warlock.  😂:

Where are the Dungeons and Dragons?

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,344

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

Look like somebody was already on to him, tne USF Warlock.  😂:

Where are the Dungeons and Dragons?

I'm right here. I was a Ranger-Elf named Remington but I digress, this, is not fair to homie. he's a good dude. Saw him at BYU.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,344

58 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

The curse was the president who was in charge, for 19 of the 25 years of USF Football's existence

She wanted nothing to do with USF football, and her attitude reverberated from the top down

The curse is the motto of "USF is a research university, not an athletics university"

USF cares about it's endowment fund. Not athletics, and certainly not football

USF football isn't 25 years old. It's 3 years old, it was born the day Judge Genshaft left the university.

Notice everything we've done, that we should have done 20 years ago, took place the instant she left? Locker room upgrades, IPF, OCS... NONE of those things would have taken place if Judy was still in charge

Again, I applaud you, your distillation of your previous take. Spot on Mike.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

On 10/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, bulloni said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports-related_curses

It's not uncommon for down-trodden fanbases to blame a curse on their lack of success. In the 5 years leading up to 2011/2012 USF was on fire. The football team was consistently ranked and beating big programs. The basketball team while not great still won 20 games twice in a loaded big east, won 2 NCAA tourney games, and had a 1st round pick.

Since then USF has been irrelevant in the sports that matter. Outside of the Quinton Flowers years we have been downright embarrassing. Even in those years, how do you have a transcendent QB surrounded by NFL talent for 3 years in a G5 conference and your best win might be the Birmingham bowl against a .500 P5 team?

Three ideas and how we'd solve each:

• Falling out with Jim Leavitt - lot of people point to this as the beginning of the end, the program lost its fiery leader and their identity along with it. To solve this we need to mend that relationship. Name the field at the OCS after him, put him in a ring of honor, etc. Something to pay tribute to the man who gave us these expectations in the first place.
  • Judy Genshaft blocking UCF to the Big East - UCF fans love to bring this up. Would think if this cursed us UCF being in a P5 conference next season and us not being in one would free us from this curse.
  • The Daily Stampede blog starting - wasn't this around 10-12 years ago at that same time? The blog has some takes that are polarizing to the fanbase. Doubt this is it, but maybe they should not post anything for an entire week before a non-Temple FBS opponent just to check...

no such thing as a curse

this is part of the problem

trying to find an excuse for failure

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,029
  • Days Won:  38

USF Warlock LOL...