• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pathetic Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  330
  • Days Won:  0

How is our defense sooo bad? This off season, I heard so much about these highly touted transfers (Hansford  LB from Minnesota, etc). We also hired a new Def Coordinator Shoop who had success at Univ of Miami and other places.

Yet, East Carolina puts up 41 pts on us in 1st half!

There is No talent on Defense to build on!

Edited by Brad
Remove inappropriate comment, member warned
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

The DBs are falling over themselves with zero effort in tackling. Its very sad. Probably the single worst unit USF has ever fielded at any position group

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, WhoRUSF said:

The DBs are falling over themselves with zero effort in tackling. Its very sad. Probably the single worst unit USF has ever fielded at any position group

I'd have to agree with this. They are just warm bodies out there. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I recommend giving them credit - they have not given up. Every final drive, they finish as strong as they can. Still made good tackles on the final drives of every game so far. Whether they are suffering from terrible playcalling is another issue, but players' individual efforts have still been there and they aren't mailing it in.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,381
  • Days Won:  10

I see bad tackling, players out of position, players not knowing their assignments, etc.  But I've only seen D players give up chasing someone once in a while.  I don't think players are purposely giving up.  They bust butt all week, go through the travel regimen, have pride in their place of rotation, and for some, hoping scouts will see their tape.

Their talent level may not be elite and may not even be what we need.  But I think they play their best within the plays that are given to them.

We have some very impactful injuries.  I know others may say, "Well, other teams have injuries, too".  Are everyone of them as impactful as ours, given that we are not overrun by NFL talent?  The guys are trying.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  505
  • Days Won:  0

What I saw sitting behind the DBs at the game was none of them cared. They all just sat there. The coach was constantly drawing on the board and not one even paid attention. I never saw a coach speak to them only diagraming non stop and everyone staring off. No one seemed to care. The only passion I saw was when Hansford came over and called them out. None of them gave a crap then either. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

15 minutes ago, USFDan said:

What I saw sitting behind the DBs at the game was none of them cared. They all just sat there. The coach was constantly drawing on the board and not one even paid attention. I never saw a coach speak to them only diagraming non stop and everyone staring off. No one seemed to care. The only passion I saw was when Hansford came over and called them out. None of them gave a crap then either. 

But but but….the culture

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

27 minutes ago, USFDan said:

This team seems to lack leadership from the players. I rarely see anyone holding other people accountable or trying to get them pumped up. I see a lot of what you see…players physically there, but mentally elsewhere. Remember when we had leadership from guys like Auggie? He wasn’t perfect, but you never questioned his desire to win and give it 💯 

Edited by Rex Havoc

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  772
  • Days Won:  1

19 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

This team seems to lack leadership from the players. I rarely see anyone holding other people accountable or trying to get them pumped up. I see a lot of what you see…players physically there, but mentally elsewhere. Remember when we had leadership from guys like Auggie? He wasn’t perfect, but you never questioned his desire to win and give it 💯 

GRIT score was a joke.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

4 minutes ago, CycleBull said:

GRIT score was a joke.

The GRIT score was a totally subjective rating by the S&C coaches.  Who knows, It could have been a means to play favorites.  GB was at the top of the GRIT score before he was even listed on the roster.  Maybe these coaches play favorites and the players sense it and have checked out.