• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What good would firing the coach

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,746
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Skingraft said:

I agree..... I'd like to go with a proven head coach though next time

I would imagine it's tough to find a quality coach for USF. You don't want some old guy who's treading water, just waiting for another P5 gig and at the same time realizing that the alternative is some young assistant who wants to polish his resume. I think that comes from not being a destination. I think USF would be a tough sell. Then again, maybe you hire the guy knowing that the relationship is indeed short term, results oriented, and accept that they're going to move on. The assumption being that they will put forth the effort to noticeably improve the program. I think there are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to who we can hire. No reason to fire Scott this year. I know we live in a results-now world, but maybe - just maybe - USF isn't in a position to buy wins. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

You see a bunch of middle of the road G5 playing good football and beating P5 teams.  See App State, Marshall, Georgia Southern, MTSU etc.  How do these programs find competent coaches that are able to spring some upsets.  USF used to be like these programs.  Now we’re just a green and gold clown show.l

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,340
  • Days Won:  43

1 minute ago, WoolyBully said:

I would imagine it's tough to find a quality coach for USF. You don't want some old guy who's treading water, just waiting for another P5 gig and at the same time realizing that the alternative is some young assistant who wants to polish his resume. I think that comes from not being a destination. I think USF would be a tough sell. Then again, maybe you hire the guy knowing that the relationship is indeed short term, results oriented, and accept that they're going to move on. The assumption being that they will put forth the effort to noticeably improve the program. I think there are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to who we can hire. No reason to fire Scott this year. I know we live in a results-now world, but maybe - just maybe - USF isn't in a position to buy wins. 

Think these days will be coming to an end with the 12 team playoffs on the horizon. USF has great facilities coming and plays in the AAC. I’m sure there will be plenty of good coaches that end up getting fired from finishing 3rd in the P5.  USF location is an asset to many coaches. I’m not worried about us not being able to find coaches applications 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,851
  • Days Won:  67

21 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

I’m not worried about us not being able to find coaches applications 

I am worried about selecting the right application, we are 0-2 for the last two, need to find someone that knows how to coach. Why we felt the need to select someone with no experience as a head coach or calling plays was stupid and we are paying the price.  He lacks the experience and is a slow study, dude is just not that bright IMO. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I am worried about selecting the right application, we are 0-2 for the last two, need to find someone that knows how to coach. Why we felt the need to select someone with no experience as a head coach or calling plays was stupid and we are paying the price.  He lacks the experience and is a slow study, dude is just not that bright IMO. 

Exactly. The next opportunity that comes hopefully we see a home run hire. To me it seems that USF should request refunds from all the hiring consultant firms. Whoever hired Leavitt when we first started made one Id the best coaching hires in USF history. Where are those decision makers now ?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

About to put one in the USF Hall of Fame. 

I gave Frisco an up arrow on that comment and I agree woth him 100%.  Not because of a lack of confidence in Kelly, although like any new A.D. he’s new at this, but more because of it being what it is, USF. I alluded to it in another thread that hiring coaches at USF is a crapshoot. Not very often do you get people that will commit themselves to the program and we have learned that in the absolute hardest of ways.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

16 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

And who feels confident we make the right decision with MK doing the hiring?

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

About to put one in the USF Hall of Fame. 

I gave Frisco bowl an up arrow on that comment and I agree woth him 100%.  Not because of a lack of confidence in Kelly, although like any new A.D. he’s new at this, but more because of it being what it is, USF. I alluded to it in another thread that hiring coaches at USF is a crapshoot. Not very often do you get people that will commit themselves to the program and we have learned that in the absolute hardest of ways.

I bet if you brought up the archives on the board when we hired CJS, CSH, CCS the majority were calling them great hires. Many publications were pointing in those directions saying USF made great hires at the time. It has been crazy lol

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I think people legitimately had doubts that a “Co-OC” had sufficient experience to run a program - especially a flailing program. I wasn’t in the room of course but I can’t help but think that was a bad mistake by Kelly.  Not sure exactly what he was thinking.

Willie was still learning in his first years here. We were his development plan and place to become a competent head coach.  Still, Willie had experience that Jeff Scott never had.

We should be hiring people that know what the heck they’re doing.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,851
  • Days Won:  67

I may be in the minority but I don’t want a coach to tell me this is his destination, I want someone that wants to come in and win immediately and bounce for a better opportunity.  Our coach is interested in building a family and providing a stable home environment, this is a red flag.  Like I have said, nepotism…he is not hungry enough, he came from a tree of a failed coach.  I was never thrilled with this hire from day one but was with CCS and CSH so to Brad’s point, it is a crapshoot.

• Like 1