• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

and we let a young QB go for Gary?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

7 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

McClain looks like a quitter who cut and ran instead of stayed and battled for the starting job.

In all fairness, he did battle for the starting job and lost, even though he was just a play away from being back in there. Bottom line, he no longer wanted to be a Bull. I appreciate him signing here and giving it a go last year as a true freshman ..... hope he finds what he's looking for.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,140
  • Days Won:  39

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

In all fairness, he did battle for the starting job and lost, even though he was just a play away from being back in there. Bottom line, he no longer wanted to be a Bull. I appreciate him signing here and giving it a go last year as a true freshman ..... hope he finds what he's looking for.

86d070b9-b211-4f6b-84be-f2d346ce5865_tex

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Days Won:  28

TM  was trash. At least Gerry's throws are getting the balls in the receivers hands. TM balls were not catchable. Plus he ran at the first sign of competition. He could have won his job back by now had he just stuck around. I don't want any quitters as a QB. I understand if he was a JR  or SR that lost his job, but buddy has 4/5 more years left. I don't see any type of extra wins with TM on this team, so this whole thread can kick rocks. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

9 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

TM  was trash. At least Gerry's throws are getting the balls in the receivers hands. TM balls were not catchable. Plus he ran at the first sign of competition. He could have won his job back by now had he just stuck around. I don't want any quitters as a QB. I understand if he was a JR  or SR that lost his job, but buddy has 4/5 more years left. I don't see any type of extra wins with TM on this team, so this whole thread can kick rocks. 

For once, I completely agree with you.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

19 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'm not sure how much he really battled, but I wasn't there to see.  But like you said, he was one play away and if GB plays poorly he gets another shot.  Instead he cut and ran at the first sign of adversity.  And so he sits for a year anyway.  His choice

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

38 minutes ago, Triple B said:

You must mean they called plays that called for the receiver to actually catch the ball ..... great point.

I mean outside  of Florida the play calling has been bad. Even though we have an option qb we are not running  a spread option offense except versus Florida. We should be using motion before every play to create some misdirection  and try to get a mismatch.  We have qb that can run well so why not use more rpo and read option plays. Yes teams will stack the box then you should be able to get receivers space or 1 on 1 coverage which comes down to athlete versus athlete. You can't tell me you expect the aac  teams to have better athletes at db than we do at wr. There have been some drops yes , some bad throws,  some bad routes, and some bad decisions  made by qb. Our coach speciality was supposed  to be wr and passing game (former wr and passing game coach), yet our passing game has gotten worse for 2+ seasons which Scott  at the head of the program. Something  is not right if a former wr coach turned head coach  has receivers that can't catch balls or run routes ? Something  is wrong if the most successful  qb under Scott McCloud has the least amount of time with him. We have not had any forward progress  with the qb position  under Scott just regression.  I don't know why he is not capable of developing receivers or quarterbacks but you can look up the stats I posted multiple  times . Ecu qb has 12 tds passing and we got zero.  Why is thar? Coaching...Maybe tomorrow is the day the tide changes.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

30 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

In both color uniforms ......... Most true freshmen qb's thrown into the fire look like trash. If he was ready enough to start immediately coming out of high school we probably wouldn't have gotten him. Look, I was perfectly fine with the decision to start Gerry for some of the intangibles. The only apprehension I had was that all GB's good stuff on the field was done pre-injury. I didn't see the video of the bowl game but the stats were less than impressive. The BU Spring game video was not very impressive either, included was a pick 6 and another that could have been ....... Hopefully things start coming together here for him, especially with the wr's giving him a little more help.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, USFbulls24 said:

4 games in going with the "Naming him the starter was the right choice" is shaky at best given the results. At this point, McClain looks like the smart one to not let himself rot as a backup with such incompetence running things vs. worst case scenario being a backup at a school and program that is not incompetent. 

So…you’re saying he’d still be a backup? 

• Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

28 minutes ago, Triple B said:

In both color uniforms ......... Most true freshmen qb's thrown into the fire look like trash. If he was ready enough to start immediately coming out of high school we probably wouldn't have gotten him. Look, I was perfectly fine with the decision to start Gerry for some of the intangibles. The only apprehension I had was that all GB's good stuff on the field was done pre-injury. I didn't see the video of the bowl game but the stats were less than impressive. The BU Spring game video was not very impressive either, included was a pick 6 and another that could have been ....... Hopefully things start coming together here for him, especially with the wr's giving him a little more help.

McClain also looked pretty bad in our spring game, which I’m sure played a role in us getting GB. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

We have had a dozen or so drops this year, a few for TDs. That's unacceptable. 

Edited by hm101