• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hypothetically if we're looking for a new coach after the season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Just to stir the pot, Deion is scoring some big recruits.  Could be nice in the NIL era.  I assumed FSU would be snatching him up momentarily, but they seem to be doing alright now.   

I'm sure whichever school Deion moves on to is getting all of Jackson State's blue chip talent to transfer with him too

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,401
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, bulloni said:

I'm sure whichever school Deion moves on to is getting all of Jackson State's blue chip talent to transfer with him too

Only if the NIL deals follow. I think Deion will be at fsu in a few years if he finds success at Jackson for a fee more seasons.

Lance Leipold is finding early success at Kansas. His resume included turning around a Buffalo program in bad shape to be legit. Maybe targeting someone who has proof of concept for turning around a program from rock bottom?

Jeff Traylor has done amazing at UTSA, would take 5 million a year to get him to make the move to another G5 school though.

Clay Helton took 3-9 triple option Georgia Southern, installed the air raid in one offseason, now is 2-0 with a win over Nebraska

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

Only if the NIL deals follow. I think Deion will be at fsu in a few years if he finds success at Jackson for a fee more seasons.

I think our pitch would have to include no buyout for the FSU job

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

would have been risky then but yeah there's a chance jobs bigger than us go after him this year

Selling points could be we are close to where he grew up (lived in fort myers until he went to FSU) and recruiting here would build the same relationships he'd take with him to FSU if they ever came calling. Plus the new IPF and stadium on the way

I'm only posting on this topic because Deion Sanders has come up.  I have this scenario in my head.  USF contacts DS and he's interested.  Then MK drops the bombshell and says "And, we're building a brand new 40,000 seat stadium on campus" and Deion says with all seriousness: 

WHAT THE F***?  I'm recruiting future NFL players and you want me to tell them they can't play at Raymond James, a Super F*****G Bowl hosting stadium, they got to play at some 40,000 seat OCS shoehorned on to some campus on the north side of Tampa?  MAN, are you pulling my chain or what?  Get the F*** out of here.  If I wanted to coach at South Alabama or UConn I'd already be there.

And then the flushing sound that comes next is MK's credibility.  Honestly, I really do see it going down like that.  DS understands "the optics" of the situation, imaging, flattery, positioning, etc.  He's actually been very clear on this subject (recruiting an image, not an OCS).  The carrot on the string for USF Ray Jay and I don't think most of them even know it.  CJS certainly hasn't used it to his advantage.  And I'm sure part of it is that he doesn't want to get on the wrong side of MK at this point because the OCS train is certainly rolling.

Remember, if you build it they will come is a movie line.  If you win it they will come is Business 101.  Fans AND students had no problem getting to RayJay when USF was winning.  Now that USF is not winning and has made some very questionable coaching hires now suddenly it's "we need an OCS to be successful".  And yet, we have a really nice, remodeled On Campus Dome and NO ONE shows up for MBB.  Why?  Because they don't WIN.  USF MBB has had a winning conference record ONCE in the past 20 years and some of those years they have finished in the bottom 3 in the conference.  I'm sure if they were playing in Amalie or Tropicana stadium there would be a bunch of people saying We Need An On Campus Arena.  Then they will start winning.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, Bull Awakening said:

We are sticking with our current staff 

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

This is a hypothetical.  Hopefully we are winning games in a few weeks and this becomes funny.

This whole thread is a hypothetical ...

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,030
  • Days Won:  38

6 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

Remember, if you build it they will come is a movie line.  If you win it they will come is Business 101.  Fans AND students had no problem getting to RayJay when USF was winning.

Technically we should have been making these moves back then as well.

11 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

WHAT THE F***?  I'm recruiting future NFL players and you want me to tell them they can't play at Raymond James, a Super F*****G Bowl hosting stadium, they got to play at some 40,000 seat OCS shoehorned on to some campus on the north side of Tampa?  MAN, are you pulling my chain or what?  Get the F*** out of here.  If I wanted to coach at South Alabama or UConn I'd already be there.

If Deion can recruit guys to Jackson State that wanna play in the NFL he can recruit guys to a school with a brand new 300 million dollar stadium. Don't see a universe he complains about that either.

The exposure that makes stars happens on TV. Everything in person is about atmosphere, which is dead with 25k fans in a 70k stadium.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,401
  • Days Won:  25

50 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Lance Leipold is finding early success at Kansas. His resume included turning around a Buffalo program in bad shape to be legit. Maybe targeting someone who has proof of concept for turning around a program from rock bottom?

Jeff Traylor has done amazing at UTSA, would take 5 million a year to get him to make the move to another G5 school though.

Clay Helton took 3-9 triple option Georgia Southern, installed the air raid in one offseason, now is 2-0 with a win over Nebraska

I think our pitch would have to include no buyout for the FSU job

Jeff Traylor did a great job and didn't use covid as an excuse to fail.  I don't see him making a lateral move here  

Edited by Outlaw

Real wild card here...Jimbo Fisher

Has a huge contract but A&M fans are starting to turn on him. Houston got Dana Holgerson from WVU in part because he plateaued and the school said go for it when another opportunity popped up for him. If Jimbo's buyout is $90 million we could let A&M know they only need to raise 65 of that because we'll throw him a 5 year 25 million dollar deal to offset the rest of the buyout.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

28 minutes ago, Triple B said:

This whole thread is a hypothetical ...

True but we will have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight because the rest of the season remains to be played.