• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CBS "expert" picks for AAC

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

Interesting to compare the comments to the consensus preseason forecast on the chart at the bottom of the article.

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Wait…you’re telling me the talent from 15 years ago was the same as the last five seasons? Have you actually seen our defense? Our QB?  I should have know better than to insinuate that precious Jim Leavitt was not the difference…sometimes this board….I’ll stand by my point that the talent level from a depth and key positions perspective was better 15 years ago than the last few years. In some cases it was not even close. 

That isn't what you said... you said it was because of the BCS, and I will say that was not the case.  Holtz and Strong lagged in recruiting, so yes... the average of 110 players in 2007 is better and 110 players in 2022... I will even make this claim:  Taggart's players in 2015 and 2016, post BCS, were better than Leavitt's players in 2007.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

53 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

Interesting to compare the comments to the consensus preseason forecast on the chart at the bottom of the article.

In regards to us, only one that seems kind of out of whack is Dodd. Says we'll be the surprise of the conference then picks us 9th out of 11 ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  168
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Wait…you’re telling me the talent from 15 years ago was the same as the last five seasons? Have you actually seen our defense? Our QB?  I should have know better than to insinuate that precious Jim Leavitt was not the difference…sometimes this board….I’ll stand by my point that the talent level from a depth and key positions perspective was better 15 years ago than the last few years. In some cases it was not even close. 

Like the center we got from Pensacola that was a one star that started for us at D End for three years.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

That isn't what you said... you said it was because of the BCS, and I will say that was not the case.  Holtz and Strong lagged in recruiting, so yes... the average of 110 players in 2007 is better and 110 players in 2022... I will even make this claim:  Taggart's players in 2015 and 2016, post BCS, were better than Leavitt's players in 2007.

I said the BCS gave us better players and those players were generally better than what we have had the past five years. 

• Me no likey 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, keith S said:

Like the center we got from Pensacola that was a one star that started for us at D End for three years.

We don’t get that many three stars now compared to the BCS days (not including transfers). 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

36 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

We don’t get that many three stars now compared to the BCS days (not including transfers). 

https://247sports.com/college/south-florida/Season/2008-Football/Commits/

https://247sports.com/college/south-florida/Season/2009-Football/Commits/

https://247sports.com/college/south-florida/Season/2021-Football/Commits/ - All are three stars last year

https://247sports.com/college/south-florida/Season/2022-Football/Commits/ - All but one is a three star this year

It seems we're actually getting a higher percentage of three stars now compared to the BCS days... (although we are getting more transfers because of how transfer rules have changed drastically in the past few years)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

I'll give you this: The offensive firepower on the 2015-2017 teams were better as a whole than Leavitt's in 2007. Arguably the GOAT QB (you could interchange with Grothe if you want to), plus two NFL RBs, one NFL WR (plus another hanging on the fringe in Adams), and an NFL TE.

That said, the 2007 defense was *unquestionably* better than pretty much any defense that's come after it IMO. That was a veteran defense with star power everywhere.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

16 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

That said, the 2007 defense was *unquestionably* better than pretty much any defense that's come after it IMO. That was a veteran defense with star power everywhere.

Yeah you are talking about LBs crushing dudes and D line getting pressure.  

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

20 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Yeah you are talking about LBs crushing dudes and D line getting pressure.  

The DL led by Selvie getting constant pressure. The LB corps was outstanding. Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams at CB both ended up in the NFL. Nate Allen ended up in the NFL. Jerome Murphy, then the 3rd CB behind Mike and Trae, ended up in the NFL. That defense was so star studded.