• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CBS "expert" picks for AAC

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

"There's this notion out there that the Bulls are due for another dreadful season after a 2-10 record under Jeff Scott last year. Don't fall into that trap. "

"Don't be surprised if the Bulls are playing UCF in the season finale for a chance to go to a bowl."

"After just three wins in the last two seasons, USF will respond to the challenge of a tough schedule and make a bowl game for the first time under Scott. "

2022-expertpicks-aac.png

Taking a close, detailed and opinionated look at the AAC as the college football season approaches

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

I hope this happens.  Every time I look at this schedule, I have a hard time seeing the 6 wins without seeing how we come out yet:

Chip Patterson: After just three wins in the last two seasons, USF will respond to the challenge of a tough schedule and make a bowl game for the first time under Scott.

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

I hope this happens.  Every time I look at this schedule, I have a hard time seeing the 6 wins without seeing how we come out yet:

Chip Patterson: After just three wins in the last two seasons, USF will respond to the challenge of a tough schedule and make a bowl game for the first time under Scott.

It is unfortunate we have a tough schedule this year. But hopefully the boys will be able to get a few upsets in conference.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  168
  • Days Won:  0

Tough schedule?

How many top five teams?

How many top 10 teams?

I want Scott to do well but, let's not see something that isn't there. Auburn, WV, NC, Pitt, Louisville (when they were good) Rutgers(when they were rated) and Cinci was the easy game.

That was a tough schedule.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

18 minutes ago, keith S said:

Tough schedule?

How many top five teams?

How many top 10 teams?

I want Scott to do well but, let's not see something that isn't there. Auburn, WV, NC, Pitt, Louisville (when they were good) Rutgers(when they were rated) and Cinci was the easy game.

BYU, @UF, @UofL, @Cincy, @Houston, UCF is a tough schedule. Our toughest ever... Probably not, but let's not act like this isn't the hardest schedule that we gave had since our Big East days. 

5 hours ago, keith S said:

Tough schedule?

How many top five teams?

How many top 10 teams?

Yeah but we had the players back then due to the BCS standing. It’s all relative. 

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

6 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yeah but we had the players back then due to the BCS standing. It’s all relative. 

Not really... Leavitt's recruiting classes weren't any better than Taggarts or that much better than Scott's.  Is Amarri Jackson better than Marques Valdez-Scantling or Xavier Weaver?

Leavitt's defenses were better coached (thanks Wally Burnham) and we had some better defenders.

And let's not forget, Leavitt recruited some athletes that were marginal students -- until his last season when he had to run all of his recruits by a committee (which continued through Holtz's tenure) to ensure the APR rate went back up.

• Upvote 2
  • ???? 1

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Not really... Leavitt's recruiting classes weren't any better than Taggarts or that much better than Scott's.  Is Amarri Jackson better than Marques Valdez-Scantling or Xavier Weaver?

Leavitt's defenses were better coached (thanks Wally Burnham) and we had some better defenders.

And let's not forget, Leavitt recruited some athletes that were marginal students -- until his last season when he had to run all of his recruits by a committee (which continued through Holtz's tenure) to ensure the APR rate went back up.

Wait…you’re telling me the talent from 15 years ago was the same as the last five seasons? Have you actually seen our defense? Our QB?  I should have know better than to insinuate that precious Jim Leavitt was not the difference…sometimes this board….I’ll stand by my point that the talent level from a depth and key positions perspective was better 15 years ago than the last few years. In some cases it was not even close. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

13 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I’ll stand by my point that the talent level from a depth and key positions perspective was better 15 years ago than the last few years. In some cases it was not even close. 

This is very true.  You didn't see all these broken plays on defense for example.  And clutch plays could be made on offense when needed.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

26 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Wait…you’re telling me the talent from 15 years ago was the same as the last five seasons? Have you actually seen our defense? Our QB?  I should have know better than to insinuate that precious Jim Leavitt was not the difference…sometimes this board….I’ll stand by my point that the talent level from a depth and key positions perspective was better 15 years ago than the last few years. In some cases it was not even close. 

Exactly so let's not lose sight of what started this back and forth. Someone had the audacity to say we had a tough schedule this year and of course someone has to chime in from Mr Peabody's Way Back Machine about how things were back in the "good ole days" of the BE, blah, blah, blah, blah. We've got 3 P5 teams, 2 on the road and the top 3 teams from our conference, 2 on the road and for this team especially, THAT'S a tough schedule ....