• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Coach Scott Thread (All CJS, All the Time)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

6 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

We extended him without any results  and gave him more time on his contract.

And there in lies the problem 

As a matter of practice, no coach (NCAA or NFL) runs out his contract, unless ofcourse he retires.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,641
  • Days Won:  25

10 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

And there in lies the problem 

As a matter of practice, no coach (NCAA or NFL) runs out his contract, unless ofcourse he retires.

I can't recall any  fbs coach ever getting a extension with one fbs win in two seasons . Can you show me a case where this has happened ? Are there any examples of coaches that won only  one fbs game in two years and ended up being good coaches ?

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

56 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

Should have never fired CJL.

let it go GIF

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

I can't recall any coach ever getting a extension with one fbs win in two seasons . Can you show me a case where this has happened ? Are there any examples of coaches that won only  one fbs game in two years and ended up being good coaches ?

No idea on either of your questions 

Just to be clear, while I do not think CJS should be fired now, I do believe that if he fails to win 6 games this year, USF should strongly look at other options 

Also, I did not agree with the premature contract extension (could have waited another year)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

This is Scott's make it or break it year. If we see the same results as the last 2 years as in getting blown out by Tulane, NC State, Wisconsin, etc then you'd have to strongly consider a coaching change. I'm hopeful Scott does get to 6 wins as we are in a time where we are at a crossroad of either being left behind or staying with the relevant crowd. I could see giving Scott one more year if we have a bunch of competitive games where we fall just short but show tremendous competitiveness such as games decided by <7. However if we see games where we lose 45-0 or 45-14 and those are the majority of his losses this year then it would be time to strongly consider pulling the plug. I will hold off judgment of Scott until after black friday and see how we looked the entire season before calling for his head. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,641
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

No idea on either of your questions 

Just to be clear, while I do not think CJS should be fired now, I do believe that if he fails to win 6 games this year, USF should strongly look at other options 

Also, I did not agree with the premature contract extension (could have waited another year)

I am with you. 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,588
  • Days Won:  3

18 hours ago, Triple B said:

Often multiple times .....

I am going with a nice round number of 69.

Two reasons: 1. I am a child 2. I think he can win a G5 conference, but have no further predictions until that happens.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

3 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

Should it merge with the “All Jeff Scott All the time” thread?

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

I didn’t start the thread but agree he should have simply posted his question there. 

You guys are right ....

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

Should it merge with the “All Jeff Scott All the time” thread?

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

I didn’t start the thread but agree he should have simply posted his question there. 

Interesting because if anyone had read his post and replied accordingly, it could have had value, but instead went right for Scott's jugular again. Even @smazza is probably laughing about that.

6 hours ago, smazza said:

We are in the bottom of the aac with little hope of moving to a better conference

We arent a rich program.

You guys bash scott at every opportunity

Please tell me who you would like to replace him

Stop being a problem identifier and become a problem solver

Seems like  @John Lewis got where smazza was trying to go. 

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Regardless of on field outcomes, I don't see Jeff Scott going anywhere after this season. Fans will be fans but Michael Kelly has been saying this "Keep Calm and Carry on" since 2018. 

Kelly is going to point to adding women's beach volleyball, lacrosse, the IPF and the OCS as to his accomplishments and Rhea Law is going to be good with that. 

Does anyone get the impression from the administration that this is some kind of "make or break" season for CJS? I don't sense that vibe.  Feels like they have told him to ignore the noise, we got your back, you just build your program. 

I keep hearing people puzzled by the extensions but it's obvious that Kelly mostly cares about continuity. 

In an increasing now-or-never college landscape where coaching turnover is an everyday occurrence, USF athletics director Michael Kelly is preaching patience when...