• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Of OCS Interest

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

On 4/12/2022 at 6:13 PM, John Lewis said:

He did on that one.

I've heard too many times about who we now play as a the reason why people do not attend the way they used to.

Here is good example(at least for me). My nephew is a USF grad about 3 years ago. He is a football fan however, he has only been around for the losing years. Believe it or not it embarrasses him. So, he roots for other teams. He is respectful of how we feel about USF and football but he has no interest. I've tried to get him to join the Alumni Assoc and Bulls Club but-no interest. And yes, he is of that new species of young person-tough to get them interested in anything but social media and other bs. I've mentioned on here before how I have run into multiple alumni in FL and NC who have no interest in being connected to USF.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

51 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Here is good example(at least for me). My nephew is a USF grad about 3 years ago. He is a football fan however, he has only been around for the losing years. Believe it or not it embarrasses him. So, he roots for other teams. He is respectful of how we feel about USF and football but he has no interest. I've tried to get him to join the Alumni Assoc and Bulls Club but-no interest. And yes, he is of that new species of young person-tough to get them interested in anything but social media and other bs. I've mentioned on here before how I have run into multiple alumni in FL and NC who have no interest in being connected to USF.

And that issue goes well beyond USF Athletics. There is blame from the on campus administration and the alumni association as well. 

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

And that issue goes well beyond USF Athletics. There is blame from the on campus administration and the alumni association as well. 

Obviously, you and I and others came away from USF with a feeling of pride and wanting to be a part of the university. Could be old time grads vs recent ones?? Some reason some people care about USF and some people just move on and leave it behind them-its just a framed diploma on the wall or--in the drawer.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

On 4/12/2022 at 8:12 PM, Jim Johnson said:

The firing of CJL did not drive away 20,000 fans per game... The Big East collapse (which USF had no power to stop) had a far far far bigger impact than the firing of CJL.

Remember - Skip Holtz was the coach for the last three seasons of Big East football... his last game, a loss to Pitt, drew 35k... which is about what USF has averaged since then... (other than the last two seasons).

The firing of CJL didn't help matters- I have to believe that CJL would have kept USF sufficiently winning to avoid getting downgraded. We had 6 losses in 2011 by a score or less and I'm sure that 2010 would have been a quality year as well-CSH's insistence in making BJ Daniels a pocket passer caused clear problems for the offense, and we would have had better depth given who was committed when CJL was fired. Attendance would likely have stayed over 40k and we had a good enough rivalry with WVU to potentially parlay that into getting pulled into the Big 12 with them. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

4 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Truth hurts! Everybody, on this board at least, knows what has happened. NOT ONE PERSON is happy with the last few years, but some THINK that better days are here. We'll see.

GO BULLS!

To quote some really smart guy on this board "Wait 'til next year, again".  😁

• Haha 2

The past seasons have not been very stimulating for fans unless you take into consideration: the feeling of being pissed off. So oddly, this movie line applies: "If you build it, they will come" Corny as it might sound it rings true. IF we start to have a winner. IF we start to be recognized for being on the rise instead of decline. IF we build winning seasons and re-spread the USF brand via bowl appearances. IF we maintain a constant athletic department. You know people will start to trickle back to games. Students? That's an entirely diff animal in this day and age...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,919
  • Days Won:  33

3 hours ago, BulledOver said:

I can certainly understand your nephew feeling the way he does since the team didn't perform well during his time attending USF. However, that mentality is the exact reason why we'll not improve as quickly as we all want the program to. Rooting for the other the opponent is just sacrilegious to me.

I hope that he understand down the road how much financial support will help us move forward to where we aspire to get to.

• Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

14 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

I can certainly understand your nephew feeling the way he does since the team didn't perform well during his time attending USF. However, that mentality is the exact reason why we'll not improve as quickly as we all want the program to. Rooting for the other the opponent is just sacrilegious to me.

I hope that he understand down the road how much financial support will help us move forward to where we aspire to get to.

This is pure gospel…I simply do not understand people. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,719

Fans aren't coming back until we are in a better conference.  The team can go undefeated in 23, 24 and 25, and only the 15k to 20k hardcore fans will be in attendance for the home games. Outside of the hardcores, no one is going to come out and see North Texas. No one is going to come out and see UTSA.  No one is going to come out and see Charlotte.  And we already know that no one comes out to see Tulane or Tulsa.  The AAC is death in a pro-sports town like Tampa.