• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory must go

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

16 minutes ago, SantaBull said:

The baseball analogies are funny - pitching and playing the field are completely different skill sets.

JT's baseball analogy was dead on. Criticizing a point guard for not having more assists to teammates who can't make a shot is exactly like criticizing a clean up hitter for a lack of rbi's when nobody in front of him is getting on base ....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

23 minutes ago, SantaBull said:

Who do you have run the point then? You can't put Greene there because he is not a distributor and is our best outside shooter - we need to be running him off screens not having 9 sets of eyeballs watching him bring it up the court. Chaplin is a true small forward and is starting to surge, so do you flip flop and him and Murphy? Now you have 2 players out of position

Even if you had a capable PG replacement, Murphy can't play the 2 because he has abandoned shooting open 3 pointers (in favor of taking one dribble in for a contested long 2 pointer). He plays more like a small forward but he is too small for that position. Whatever you gain, if anything, in playing him at the 2 or 3 you more than give up by the downgrade at the point position.

The only solution is to keep Murphy there and develop him.

Alternatively, another ball handler to free up Murphy plus a better rebounding front court or more active hands in the back court would generate fast break opportunities that would play to the strengths of guys like Murphy and Chaplin. Those two guys are often the best athletes on the floor against most of the teams we face. That is this team’s strength and not figuring out a way to push in transition more often instead of the “watch Murphy dribble around the perimeter” offense is a huge mistake by Gregory IMO.

There is nobody else to run the point until Trey Moss develops, so here we are.

Edited by Fold FB Invest in BB

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The system sucks. The fact of the mater is we are not going to get the type of recruits who can play hard nose defense then shoot the ball on the other side. It’s simply not going to happen. I would rather see it the other way around…at least then I would be entertained.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,917
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, SantaBull said:

Who do you have run the point then? You can't put Greene there because he is not a distributor and is our best outside shooter - we need to be running him off screens not having 9 sets of eyeballs watching him bring it up the court. Chaplin is a true small forward and is starting to surge, so do you flip flop and him and Murphy? Now you have 2 players out of position

Even if you had a capable PG replacement, Murphy can't play the 2 because he has abandoned shooting open 3 pointers (in favor of taking one dribble in for a contested long 2 pointer). He plays more like a small forward but he is too small for that position. Whatever you gain, if anything, in playing him at the 2 or 3 you more than give up by the downgrade at the point position.

The only solution is to keep Murphy there and develop him.

I was hoping Moss could play right away but obviously he is not close to ready. Until Murphy starts shooting 3’s or at least making that pull up 12-15 footer with consistency he is a guy without a position. The only better option is sending CBG packing however since that train has left the building, only other option is to turn them off.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  1

7 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I was hoping Moss could play right away but obviously he is not close to ready. Until Murphy starts shooting 3’s or at least making that pull up 12-15 footer with consistency he is a guy without a position. The only better option is sending CBG packing however since that train has left the building, only other option is to turn them off.

I guess we are all arguing how to best put lipstick on a pig LOL

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

2 hours ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

Alternatively, another ball handler to free up Murphy plus a better rebounding front court or more active hands in the back court would generate fast break opportunities that would play to the strengths of guys like Murphy and Chaplin. Those two guys are often the best athletes on the floor against most of the teams we face. That is this team’s strength and not figuring out a way to push in transition more often instead of the “watch Murphy dribble around the perimeter” offense is a huge mistake by Gregory IMO.

There is nobody else to run the point until Trey Moss develops, so here we are.

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The system sucks. The fact of the mater is we are not going to get the type of recruits who can play hard nose defense then shoot the ball on the other side. It’s simply not going to happen. I would rather see it the other way around…at least then I would be entertained.

I disagree with Fold about active hands.  Caleb and Greene both seem to tip a lot of balls. Chaplin on occasion as well.

The number of guys in the NBA that play great defense and score isn't all that high.  Hard to expect it from kids coming to a 3rd tier basketball school.  Granted we are exceptionally bad at shooting but we go back to the weird thing about kids that come into USF known as shooters and then can't when they get here.  Maybe the rims aren't at exactly 10 feet or someone taped/painted the arc in the wrong place.  I'm grasping here. Hard to explain.

I've told the story where I saw Anthony Collins at the neighborhood courts after his career here.  Didn't recognize him at first but he was draining 3 after 3.  I'm talking 27 out of 30 good.  I know he wasn't being defended and wasn't known as a scorer but I was shocked at how well he could shoot.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,917
  • Days Won:  67

7 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I disagree with Fold about active hands.  Caleb and Greene both seem to tip a lot of balls. Chaplin on occasion as well.

The number of guys in the NBA that play great defense and score isn't all that high.  Hard to expect it from kids coming to a 3rd tier basketball school.  Granted we are exceptionally bad at shooting but we go back to the weird thing about kids that come into USF known as shooters and then can't when they get here.  Maybe the rims aren't at exactly 10 feet or someone taped/painted the arc in the wrong place.  I'm grasping here. Hard to explain.

I've told the story where I saw Anthony Collins at the neighborhood courts after his career here.  Didn't recognize him at first but he was draining 3 after 3.  I'm talking 27 out of 30 good.  I know he wasn't being defended and wasn't known as a scorer but I was shocked at how well he could shoot.

We simply don’t get as good of looks, either don’t have the talent, game plan whatever but we don’t get as many good looks as our opponent, no matter who it is.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

56 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

We simply don’t get as good of looks, either don’t have the talent, game plan whatever but we don’t get as many good looks as our opponent, no matter who it is.  

Good looks are something you aren't familiar with.  😁

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

Also, some food for thought:

We got blown out by #7 on this list.