• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Student Bulls club cluster****

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,983
  • Days Won:  12

The lack of partnership between the student body in general and athletics has always needed a big red circle around it in the athletics plan:

Transportation to the games

Clarity around athletics schedules to ensure minimal conflicts

Liaisons 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,253
  • Days Won:  255

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

Does Athletics actually control any of that SBC?  Isn't that just a university funded student driven thing?  I see nothing on Athletics website at all about it.

I’m not sure if he has any control over it or not, the post seems to indicate that now the university is going to do something about it so he probably can have some influence, I just think it’s funny to talk about how the club has three members but what an amazing job VPMK is doing to interact with them and drive interest (it has three members comprised entirely of leadership).

If VPMK Is really doing amazing and no one can conceivably do better yet we have a student fan club of 3, attendance in 10’s of thousands, have a $10 million dollar budget deficit despite bringing in $20 million in student fees and we can’t compete in neither football nor mens basketball I’m not really sure what that means for if athletics is tenable here.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Honestly, I think our BullBackers Club needs help too.  As do most of our online fan sites, media outlets.  All pretty poor by P5 standards.  I don't see any of this falling on Kelly.  

We should be careful to not lose focus on what really matters nor should we assign everyone's responsibility to Michael Kelly.  If he called me to ask about the SBC I'd tell him he's focused on the wrong stuff.

It's so easy to pile on, so much harder to make a difference yourself.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

Unless I'm reading things wrong, the SBC topped out at 40, which I assume was in our "glory days". Considering the student attendance back in those days, this thing was pretty much a non factor even back then so trying to use the current situation as a means of attacking MK is pretty weak.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Brad said:

Honestly, I think our BullBackers Club needs help too.  As do most of our online fan sites, media outlets.  All pretty poor by P5 standards.  I don't see any of this falling on Kelly.  

We should be careful to not lose focus on what really matters nor should we assign everyone's responsibility to Michael Kelly.  If he called me to ask about the SBC I'd tell him he's focused on the wrong stuff.

It's so easy to pile on, so much harder to make a difference yourself.

I just think it’s a very interesting aside to toss in there for no reason. Either he isn’t doing much because it has nothing to really do with him, he is doing things but what he does will not matter and it’s a waste of time or he is doing a bad job but in no way can he be doing great things with them and it has 3 members (it just doesn’t make sense).

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Unless I'm reading things wrong, the SBC topped out at 40, which I assume was in our "glory days". Considering the student attendance back in those days, this thing was pretty much a non factor even back then so trying to use the current situation as a means of attacking MK is pretty weak.

I’m not attacking him I’m saying its weird to praise his efforts citing this as an example I personally would prefer they not mention me if I were similarly situated. 

I did a little Facebook research and the SBC says:

The Student Bulls Club supports USF athletics programs through student philanthropy. We work to develop an engaged and involved community of student Bulls fans across all USF campuses and sponsor activities that build tradition and enhance school spirit. We promote a healthy and positive student fan culture based on the principals of sportsmanship.

Ok, maybe re-do that.  "Student philanthropy"?  That would have turned me off immediately because virtue signaling was not big in early 80s and I barely had money to buy food while paying for classes.

Supporting through student philanthropy?  How about something free?  Like supporting by going to games?  

The SBC appears to be its own organization (with its own problems). Not a puppet tool of Michael Kelly.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I don’t see this so much a Kelly failure as I see it as a USF failure much like the scheduling conflict with the Greek system.  There’s a lot to blame Kelly for, however this wouldn’t be at the top of the list.

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

... I’m saying its weird to praise his efforts citing this as an example ...

Who is praising who's efforts re: the SBC?

Just now, Brad said:

Who is praising who's efforts re: the SBC?

Will (whoever that is) I wouldn’t have associated VPMK with the organization at all but for no reason he dragged him in there as having made in roads that should be bringing in more people if not for the efforts of the group’s leadership. If VPMK was doing anything worth while with the organization someone would have joined outside of the group and if the group is just so toxic and misusing funds as described then why is he wasting any time with them?