• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Student Bulls club cluster****

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

4 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Ding ding ding.  This is exactly the reason why we have a culture problem.  All of the alumni that came through during the commuter school culture have zero allegiance to the University.  They came to USF because it was close, convenient or cost effective.  I am one of those rare commuter alumni that chose to stay connected, however many more just drifted away.  I have some in my own family.  I can’t give them my club seats for free.  They have zero interest in going to a game.  

An OCS will not cure everything, but it’s another vital step in moving us away from the commuter school culture.

"All the alumni"............WRONGO !!  You may be "Rare" but you sure as hell aint alone..I'MMMM HHHEEERRE. Even browbeat my nephew to switch from FSU to USF now a grad too. My Son? He's a Gator product...but then his daddy was paying mine wasn't..ha!     I hope there is more than 2 of us..   I knew of a couple more who were fans but they did "drift away" as in passed. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

On 11/6/2021 at 4:26 PM, widerberg said:

For me, it could be that USF up until pretty recently was thought of as a commuter school. When Betty Castor became Pres, she started making campus look a bit less like a prison from the 1950s, and with that we eventually got new dorms, a Greek row, parking garage, and some pretty major beautification to the grounds. To me, USF has changed a huge amount, and shook the commuter label, but maybe that old perception is still there? That we're not a "real" school with culture and traditions and campus life, etc. And so there's just not that emotional connection with the community, alums, etc.

Or maybe the Tampa area is just not interested in a local university no matter what we do and students run away screaming once they get their degrees, never to look back again?

It's a really interesting and weird problem to me. I have no answer.

We have successfully shaken the commuter school label, but with Raymond James, we are still a commuter football program.

• Upvote 2