• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ZERO Coverage in TBT Printed Edition

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Peter King had an interesting excerpt from an article in the athletic this week about the demise of the chicago tribune. I think we're lucky to get the little coverage that we do.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

12 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I don't think it's personal.  If USF got clicks, they would put up articles.  Winning would maybe help.

Indeed.  If in fact I were in charge of all those "reporters" I'd tell them we need to stop with the old model and bring in the new model.  We'll make our own (USF) audience.  We'll make the news better.  We'll tell the community what is going on instead of dropping negative sarcasm to pass off as elitist intelligence or disinterest.  Make the stories draw fans to your paper, or it dies.  Sitting back doing nothing will make things worse.  Get some new talent have them go do the work.   Gee try this with every topic and see what happens.  I guarantee if they did this WELL online, Bulls fans would subscribe.  But the half assed and negative **** is nothing any fan is going to pay for. 

The Bianchi model.  He did it right.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

15 minutes ago, Brad said:

Indeed.  If in fact I were in charge of all those "reporters" I'd tell them we need to stop with the old model and bring in the new model.  We'll make our own (USF) audience.  We'll make the news better.  We'll tell the community what is going on instead of dropping negative sarcasm to pass off as elitist intelligence or disinterest.  Make the stories draw fans to your paper, or it dies.  Sitting back doing nothing will make things worse.  Get some new talent have them go do the work.   Gee try this with every topic and see what happens.  I guarantee if they did this WELL online, Bulls fans would subscribe.  But the half assed and negative **** is nothing any fan is going to pay for. 

The articles being done now are far more positive than negative, as they have been for awhile, except the negative ones get honed in on tons more ..... Biatchi did what he did because he was/is stuck in a non major sports area and it was in his own personal interest career wise to do what he did and it worked, to a degree.

And it paid off.

Our media can do the same thing Trip.  They choose not to.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,702
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, Brad said:

You are assuming that there are enough USF fans the give a 💩

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

Peter King had an interesting excerpt from an article in the athletic this week about the demise of the chicago tribune. I think we're lucky to get the little coverage that we do.

Fun fact - I delivered the Chicago Tribune from my bicycle back before it became an adult job. 

I held onto the print version of the TBT for a long time - something about holding a paper in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. But since going to the e-version with my tablet I don’t look back.  

Kind of like the move to e-tickets. Oops - too soon?😉

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Brad said:

And it paid off.

I think you are referring to columnist and not reporters. No I don't want all negative news all the time but I don't need to hear that everything is sunshine and rainbows all the time as well. Sometimes the problems do need to be reported. However, based on what you are looking for it does seem Chris Torello fits this model...but he is not print media. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

And it paid off.

The columnists played that role back when it was needed here, when we were a hick sports town like Orlando. When it was no longer needed, the columnists played it more reality based, admittedly with more snark than was needed at times. Their job isn't to be a cheerleader, it's to invoke emotions, which most did ...... and as I said, it wasn't always negative but those that weren't, were basically ignored.

Again we got the straws out.

This has nothing to do with cheerleading.  A consumer has choices.  If I want to read the paper and it tells me how stupid and terrible my team is, I stop reading.  Yes, then I guess I miss the good stuff whenever it does happen.  

All I am saying, is if they want to be successful, try a different model.  Try printing something fans would want to read.  Don't tell them what they already know, good or bad.  Don't treat one college team differently from the rest.  Make it interesting.  It doesn't take a cheerleader to report or give opinion that is both real and intriguing.  

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think you are referring to columnist and not reporters. No I don't want all negative news all the time but I don't need to hear that everything is sunshine and rainbows all the time as well. Sometimes the problems do need to be reported. However, based on what you are looking for it does seem Chris Torello fits this model...but he is not print media. 

I'm referring to the people responsible for Sports and for circulation numbers/online views.

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

Again we got the straws out.

This has nothing to do with cheerleading.  A consumer has choices.  If I want to read the paper and it tells me how stupid and terrible my team is, I stop reading.  Yes, then I guess I miss the good stuff whenever it does happen.  

All I am saying, is if they want to be successful, try a different model.  Try printing something fans would want to read.  Don't tell them what they already know, good or bad.  Don't treat one college team differently from the rest.  Make it interesting.  It doesn't take a cheerleader to report or give opinion that is both real and intriguing.

No straws. If you're comparing the columnist Bianchi to columnists over here, it has everything to do with cheerleading ... and I pointed out why he was a cheerleader over there. McEwen, Mizell, et al were cheerleaders over here back in the day. I have no idea how the actual reporting was over there but reporting over here hasn't been that bad. JK had an obsession with actual attendance but other than that he wasn't that bad .... people got their panties in a wad over the lamest stuff most of the time with him.