• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

27 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

Sure he'll regurgitate that nonsense but take potshots at USF's chances moving up....  Come on, the PAC does not have a viable path for option 3.  Their TV deal ends this year and no team from MWC/AAC can leave in less than a year to join them.

MWC - "Per conference bylaws, the $16.5 million buyout jumps to $34 million if notice is given later than July 1".  That's from a recent article about SDSU's quick 180, when they tried to leave the MWC for the PAC only to turn tail and say they wanted to stick with MWC.

AAC- Just made Cincy/UCF/Houston pay 18 million to leave sooner than the required 27 month notice.  Fee would be higher for a (now) quicker exit; and what idiot would pay that much to join a 4 team conference that doesn't have a media deal?  

Even SDSU saw the writing on the wall and noped back to the MWC.  So the PAC is only pretending like they have an option to expand.  That ship sailed.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

4 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Cornell
Princeton
Dartmouth
Yale
Penn
Brown
Harvard
Columbia
Stanford
Duke
Rice
USF 

... which would make for some nice road trips in the fall. And if we're feeling all magnanimous, we should invite Cal as well, since we don't want to run the risk of having to include some non-AAU schools.  Of course, we'd all have to forego that whole FBS playoff thingy and settle for life in FCS land. 

I could live with that. Talk about some nice campuses to visit.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

If there is any lesson here it’s that academics don’t matter. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  411
  • Days Won:  2

34 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

Sure he'll regurgitate that nonsense but take potshots at USF's chances moving up....  Come on, the PAC does not have a viable path for option 3.  Their TV deal ends this year and no team from MWC/AAC can leave in less than a year to join them.

MWC - "Per conference bylaws, the $16.5 million buyout jumps to $34 million if notice is given later than July 1".  That's from a recent article about SDSU's quick 180, when they tried to leave the MWC for the PAC only to turn tail and say they wanted to stick with MWC.

AAC- Just made Cincy/UCF/Houston pay 18 million to leave sooner than the required 27 month notice.  Fee would be higher for a (now) quicker exit; and what idiot would pay that much to join a 4 team conference that doesn't have a media deal?  

Even SDSU saw the writing on the wall and noped back to the MWC.  So the PAC is only pretending like they have an option to expand.  That ship sailed.

UConn actually paid less than we did. They left with 11 months notice and paid just $17M. We felt kind of ripped but since the Big 12 pay bump was worth it we took it. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

1 hour ago, Gismo said:

Repeal scholarships

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Gismo said:

Not in the world of college athletics

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Maybe "have the most control over" was the wrong way to put it. The AAU has a pretty extensive, specific, published list of membership principles and indicators that schools can strive for, if they choose to .... and USF chose to. Not every school does. I guess that's what I kind of meant by having control over.

No one was discussing UCF ... 

No one IS discussing ucf ... you were discussing control over what a school could acquire .... ucf was an example I gave of a school choosing athletics and acquiring what they desired

and I don't advocate for either choice but it appears both schools got what they wanted

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

31 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

No one IS discussing ucf ... you were discussing control over what a school could acquire .... ucf was an example I gave of a school choosing athletics and acquiring what they desired

and I don't advocate for either choice but it appears both schools got what they wanted

Yup they did go all in with athletics instead of academics and they are a good example for the convo.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

9 hours ago, Gismo said:

Yep, anyone trotting out the academic "fit" argument in relation to conference realignment will not pass the polygraph. This is about football bidness, plain and simple. What matters is the spreadsheet. Revenue.  

Edited by WoolyBully
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  454
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Gismo said:

I’m sorry sir, you must be mistaken. I read in a recent thread on this very board that having the AAU was BETTER than being football relevant. /s