• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  3,002
  • Days Won:  2

51 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Stanford will be fine. Sports is big for them, but thankfully, unlike a lot of schools, it's not everything. They have more Nobel laureates than any other power conference team, and it's endowment is huge (50% larger than the combined endowments of all 18 schools in the new Big 12).

I was reading earlier that Stanford's endowment is $36B.  They will be able to withstand the loss of conference earnings (and then some).   Could be independent.  We shall see soon.  

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

They never had a chance to destroy the Big 12. But they should have added San Diego State, Fresno State, SMU and Boise State a long time ago. 

Diluting the conference and lowering revenue with those teams would have destroyed the Pac12 faster.

Problem with the west coast is the lack of qualityish teams compared to the south and east.

Edited by USFBULL_08

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  28

30 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Diluting the conference and lowering revenue with those teams would have destroyed the Pac12 faster.

Problem with the west coast is the lack of qualityish teams compared to the south and east.

One thing I do know is that the Pac 12 lost all their top tier teams and didnt add them. As for "diluting the conference" the Big 12 seems to still have success. They just added 4 losing teams to their conference in addition to a bunch of G5s and getting praise. So how would it have hurt the Pac 12? 🤷 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

47 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

I was reading earlier that Stanford's endowment is $36B.  They will be able to withstand the loss of conference earnings (and then some).   Could be independent.  We shall see soon.  

They can't really use their endowment to support their athletics department.  In fact, they cut sports in 2020 - something they were thinking about but COVID spurred into action - "with the aim of providing Stanford Athletics a path to long-term financial stability".   Going from $30 Million to less than $10 million (hypothetical) would be dramatic.

If Stanford had to cut sports to save money long term, not sure they would do it for football when they know it will be a dramatic decrease in funding.

My take: Stanford will drop football like the University of Chicago did.

sandstone_placeholder_icon_78551.jpg
NEWS.STANFORD.EDU

Questions and answers regarding the details of a Stanford Athletics varsity sports reduction.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Stanford will discontinue 11 of our varsity sports programs at the conclusion of the 2020-21 academic year: men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling.

Wrestling. It's always wrestling. 

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  3,002
  • Days Won:  2

12 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

One thing I do know is that the Pac 12 lost all their top tier teams and didnt add them. As for "diluting the conference" the Big 12 seems to still have success. They just added 4 losing teams to their conference in addition to a bunch of G5s and getting praise. So how would it have hurt the Pac 12? 🤷 

Public perception is largely based off of what the media says.  The B12 media machine has been cheerleading for them and publishing propaganda.   Plus, there are successful efforts on social media and even on media giants like ESPN that have been promoting the G5 additions even prior to them going to the B12.  Meanwhile, here we are using local newspaper or local tv to get our message out.  Not very successfully, as our local media loves to diminish the value of USF.  Anyway, back to the situation with the PAC - I don't understand why the PAC stood pat?  

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

45 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Not all teams are equal. Big 12 added teams that were a net positive...the Pac didn't or wouldn't.

Doesn't seem like the networks are willing to invest in schools at this point they want immediate returns.

Also, all things being equal I would much rather have an east coast team than west coast.

Edited by USFBULL_08

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,919
  • Days Won:  67

26 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Wrestling. It's always wrestling. 

I wrestled in HS to stay in shape over the winter, would have rather played Basketball but unfortunately am 5 ‘10” and white.  Looking back I hated the practices and the tournaments sucked as well, the guys that wrestle are a different breed, they are tough but crazy as well.  Only good thing I learned was when in doubt just wrap them up, served me well throughout the years when I mouthed off. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, Friscobull said:

I wrestled in HS to stay in shape over the winter, would have rather played Basketball but unfortunately am 5 ‘10” and white.  Looking back I hated the practices and the tournaments sucked as well, the guys that wrestle are a different breed, they are tough but crazy as well.  Only good thing I learned was when in doubt just wrap them up, served me well throughout the years when I mouthed off. 

Nothing better then taking a guy down and locking him up in backyard brawl. Most people have no idea what to do on the ground.