• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Actually, how is Cincy better than Uconn? Market and recruiting? 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

5 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Actually, how is Cincy better than Uconn? Market and recruiting? 

I guess. But the smart move for the Big XII is the southeast, where the population is going, not rust belt/northeast. Over time I suspect both recruiting and market will wane in Ohio, as people leave for warmer climes offering greater employment opportunities. Can the same be said about Florida?

This is (or should be) a generational decision.

Edited by TallyBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210

28 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I guess the question is what does "support" mean? My understanding (could be wrong) is that these schools, in some form or fashion, do not approve of any kind (straight or gay) of sex outside of marriage. But anything short of affirming the opposite wouldn't be enough (I suspect) for those opposing BYU, without some kind of serious cognitive dissonance.

My point is that I don't see how there's much wiggle room to satisfy those who oppose BYU's inclusion in the Big XII, which could ultimately benefit other schools like USF (setting aside the politics of it all).

Baylor believes that marriage should be man/woman in accordance with the Baptist statement of faith (and most other Christian denominations for that matter).  I don't know about TCU, though. 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899

1 hour ago, Sellular1 said:

All BYU has to do (and will do BTW) is publicly amend their policy.  Do you think TCU and Baylor Baptist really support the LBTG community?

Isn't BYU run by the church (LDS)? I thought I read somewhere that any change in BYU policy would have to come through the church itself. Do you see that happening?

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

51 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I guess. But the smart move for the Big XII is the southeast, where the population is going, not rust belt/northeast. Over time I suspect both recruiting and market will wane in Ohio, as people leave for warmer climes offering greater employment opportunities. Can the same be said about Florida?

This is (or should be) a generational decision.

If you really want to talk about long term population movements, a good portion of Florida will be underwater in the foreseeable future, so wouldn't that counsel against adding us? I agree that Cincy and Uconn seem underwhelming, but long-term, arguments can be made that cut against yours.

7 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

If you really want to talk about long term population movements, a good portion of Florida will be underwater in the foreseeable future, so wouldn't that counsel against adding us? I agree that Cincy and Uconn seem underwhelming, but long-term, arguments can be made that cut against yours.

If the best long term argument that can be made against Florida is that sea level rise will drown us all, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances.  

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  106
  • Days Won:  0

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048

Just now, TallyBull said:

If the best long term argument that can be made against Florida is that sea level rise will drown us all, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances.  

Surely it's not - I think there are a ton of other arguments (poor fan and alumni support and lack of recent winning at the top), but I was just pointing out that your  consideration of longterm population movement really helps us all that much.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778

29 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

Isn't BYU run by the church (LDS)? I thought I read somewhere that any change in BYU policy would have to come through the church itself. Do you see that happening?

Yes they are. And no after spending a year in Twin Falls,  ID (second largest Mormon per capita in the world behind SLC) the church ain't changing for anyone.

24 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Surely it's not - I think there are a ton of other arguments (poor fan and alumni support and lack of recent winning at the top), but I was just pointing out that your  consideration of longterm population movement really helps us all that much.

OK, then let me narrow the scope a bit. With respect to sea level rise concerns, I don't think they offset the clear advantages of population growth in Florida in terms of markets, recruiting, etc.  Not even close. 

Moreover, fan and alumni support will improve over time with a competitive team - definitely sooner than any potential impacts from sea level rise. 

Maybe I'm wrong and the Big XII views sea level rise concerns as offsettting the potential advantages of population growth (or other considerations) in Florida... but I don't think so. Who knows.

Edited by TallyBull