• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

This is just my opinion based on the Internet rumors.   

BYU is the clear favorite if they can get over the Sunday issue. 

Texas and Oklahoma are in disagreement over the 2nd school.  Texas wants Houston, Okl wants Cincy. So if they only take 2 schools I suspect it will be Houston and Cincy , but could be any combination of the three.(Byu, Cincy, Houston)

If they go 4 schools, (which makes the most sense) I see a Florida School getting in. Hoping for Both. However would be stupid but not surprising if they take BYU, Houston, Cincy and one Fla school. 

We should hope they remain in a state of confusion until the end of the season so we can Pack the Ray Jay,  have a killer season, winning the AAC East and possibly conference. New Years Bowl or playoff would seal the deal.

Edited by Dhambuc
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

At this rate of the WVU opposition to Cincy is true, I can see USF and UCF being the first to secure 8 votes. Best for the networks and for recruiting and for travel by the other teams who can play both teams on one trip. 

I see Florida as better recruiting for the conference than Ohio, also rivalry in large markets for the networks, easier travel for the teams and the budget too. Large and growing alumni populations, nearly par academics for most of the conference. 

The best argument I have heard for Houston is that it doesn't bring new tv markets, but it may add more interest in the games of the program is strong. More people in Texas will be interested in Texas or Oklahoma vs Houston than vs Cincy and therefore you may get a bump in viewers. 

But really it adds competition for Texas recruits by all members as oppose to introducing FL recruits, where USF and UCF will not recruit so much from Texas but Houston will.

28 minutes ago, Dhambuc said:

This is just my opinion based on the Internet rumors.   

BYU is the clear favorite if they can get over the Sunday issue. 

Texas and Oklahoma are in disagreement over the 2nd school.  Texas wants Houston, Okl wants Cincy. So if they only take 2 schools I suspect it will be Houston and Cincy , but could be any combination of the three.(Byu, Cincy, Houston)

If they go 4 schools, (which makes the most sense) I see a Florida School getting in. Hoping for Both. However would be stupid but not surprising if they take BYU, Houston, Cincy and one Fla school. 

We should hope they remain in a state of confusion until the end of the season so we can Pack the Ray Jay,  have a killer season, winning the AAC East and possibly conference. New Years Bowl or playoff would seal the deal.

BYU has a Title IX problem as well.  Their "honor code" causes a significant problem for a conference with Baylor in the mix.

Also, as you may have seen, there is a new issue arising around the Grant of Rights: Texas doesn't want to extend at all; at least five schools want to extend (WVU, Baylor, KU, KSU, and ISU) for at least 6 years, or they won't vote for expansion at all.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

33 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

BYU has a Title IX problem as well.  Their "honor code" causes a significant problem for a conference with Baylor in the mix.

Also, as you may have seen, there is a new issue arising around the Grant of Rights: Texas doesn't want to extend at all; at least five schools want to extend (WVU, Baylor, KU, KSU, and ISU) for at least 6 years, or they won't vote for expansion at all.

I'd think most religious-based schools would have this difficulty, but mostly even more constraining ethics than the conference would have. So yeah, it may just boil down to Sunday issues which they could work around--question is, would they want to treat them special when they have others ready to sign in blood, and with more sports.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

We are sooo close to 1K... Let's keep going!

Here are the hurdles, as I see them:

(1) Will the B12 big shots, after a unanimous vote to expand, continue with their plan or whimper like scolded children under the pressure from the TV networks? (The B12 presidents will look like puppets with no backbones if they retreat...)

(2) Will the B12 go with greed and expand by 4 teams and cash in or meet the networks halfway and expand only by 2 teams? And we must ask: What does expansion by only two teams get the B12?

If it's expansion by 4 teams, I know USF is in!

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899

4 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

Don't forget, the BYU thing isn't just no play Sunday's.  There is no traveling on Sunday's either.  Everything needs to be wrapped up Saturday afternoon/early evening so they can get back to Provo before turning into pumpkins at midnite.

Right, which means any potential big, primetime-worthy games involving BYU could only be played in Provo. Not sure how the other schools would feel about that

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

57 minutes ago, JimUSFSig said:

I haven't seen this; this is an interesting development.  Where did you see this?  No one can make them extend the GOR, the networks have to adjust the payout per the current structure if they add teams so the networks have no leverage to force an extension.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

image.jpeg

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899

27 minutes ago, TimBulla said:

We are sooo close to 1K... Let's keep going!

Here are the hurdles, as I see them:

(1) Will the B12 big shots, after a unanimous vote to expand, continue with their plan or whimper like scolded children under the pressure from the TV networks? (The B12 presidents will look like puppets with no backbones if they retreat...)

(2) Will the B12 go with greed and expand by 4 teams and cash in or meet the networks halfway and expand only by 2 teams? And we must ask: What does expansion by only two teams get the B12?

If it's expansion by 4 teams, I know USF is in!

Regarding #2, I think if they go with 4 teams, it will tip their hand at whether this is just a blind cash grab for the remainder of the contract or not. They could kiss up to the networks by adding markets like the schools in Florida, Cincinnati and whoever else for #4. Or they could add Houston and Memphis, and others to just grab as much money as possible until the tv deal is up and the Big XII evaporates afterward.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688

Not sure if posted, but this is an okay analysis of the situation.

Big 12 money grab, networks would be paying as much as 10x what they currently do for the new big 12 members. Networks now paying 2 million per year to AAC schools would be paying 20 million. 

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-and-fox-angry-with-big-12-expansion-080116