• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

All the P5 teams made a pile of money. There's no need to reshuffle. Let's see what happens this season.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

So Hocutt basically said "Well, never say never, but we're not expanding now."

I'm not sure we can believe a Prez or an AD in their discussions with the media anymore than we can believe anonymous bloggers, tweeters or ESPN.

On this we agree .... but as long people keep trotting out the anonymous bloggers and tweeters, there needs to be a balance in that world of mis/disinfomration.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Could they all be wrong?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

So Hocutt basically said "Well, never say never, but we're not expanding now."

I'm not sure we can believe a Prez or an AD in their discussions with the media anymore than we can believe anonymous bloggers, tweeters or ESPN.

On this we agree .... but as long people keep trotting out the anonymous bloggers and tweeters, there needs to be a balance in that world of mis/disinfomration.

The more different sources with different information the better, if we're to get this thread to 1000 pages.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

Here is the big point. The Big12 current TV deal pays them about 20 million a year with the deal stating that adding new teams will KEEP the 20 million per team deal. So unless the newcomers agree to take less from some years, the original will get same amount.

Now I can see the additions choosing to take less for some years as TCU and WV have done and thus the other ten get an increase in payout. So right now you would think it makes sense for Big12 to expand

But here is the kicker, you are asking ESPN to pay the Big12 an extra 40 million per year to add two schools, let's say it's UCF and UC, that they currently pay 4 million for.

So what does ESPN get for that 36 million increase in payment? Mind you that ESPN is being told by Disney right now that they must CUT down in expenses.

It's always about the money and right now it doesn't add up.

Edited by Cubanbull

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

I could be wrong but I just don't see any expansion happening for the next 3 years. The big 12 was left out last year mainly due to the big 12 not naming a champion and leaving that up to the committee. It also didn't help that tcu played Iowa state in the last game whereas had they played Texas or Oklahoma while Baylor played ksu it might have been enough for tcu to jump osu even though osu had an impressive slaughter of Wisconsin. Since they will get their title game next year with 10 and they have already announced they will name a champion I just feel like the big 12 will wait at least 3 years before making any expansion decisions. So if I'm Harlan and Usf I'm doing whatever it takes to get the program turned around with or without Taggart and making us into an attractive candidate whenever the next round of expansion occurs

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

Many keep bringing the Big12 getting left out last year by not having a championship game, but forget that had Ohio State, Florida State or Bama lost their championship games they could have landed two in the playoffs

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

IMO, the Big 12 is fools gold.

That is, the moment any G5 teams join...it will be a temporary band aid much like UL, UC and USF joining the BigEast.  I can't see the two conference blue bloods wanting a long term relationship with the 'likes of us'.  The best thing for USF would be for the B12 to collapse after OU and UT join the P5 conference of their choice. Once that happens it will set off the final round of alignment we'll see a best of the Big12/ACC/AAC band together for what would be a respectable league with enough football and political influence to have a real access to the college football playoff system.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

That is, the moment any G5 teams join...it will be a temporary band aid much like UL, UC and USF joining the BigEast.  I can't see the two conference blue bloods wanting a long term relationship with the 'likes of us'.  The best thing for USF would be for the B12 to collapse after OU and UT join the P5 conference of their choice. Once that happens it will set off the final round of alignment we'll see a best of the Big12/ACC/AAC band together for what would be a respectable league with enough football and political influence to have a real access to the college football playoff system.

Do I need to point out the problem here with our football team?

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

Do I need to point out the problem here with our football team?

We are hardly the first program to go in the tank after experiencing some success and we won't be a bottom dweller forever.