• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

^^^ I'd love to see an 8- team playoff with the following format:

5 P5 champions

2 At large

1 G5 champion (highest ranked)

Seems like it would reduce the committee's role to the two at-large bids and how they compare with each other and the G5 champion.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Our piss poor attendance would have more to do with it than actual wins or losses.

And our 14 - 34 record over the past 4 years has nothing to do with the piss poor attendance?

It has everything to do with it. They look unprepared and no imagination in the playcalling.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

5 P5 champions

2 At large

Seems like it would reduce the committee's role to the two at-large bids and how they compare with each other and the G5 champion.

I was just telling my friend this should happen last night. 

It would also give the G5 a chance to cause some ruckus. Which we all enjoy.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

5 P5 champions

2 At large

I was just telling my friend this should happen last night. 

It would also give the G5 a chance to cause some ruckus. Which we all enjoy.

This makes the most sense to G5 schools, but if you're the P5 why would you give the G5 an auto-bid? They don't want to give #20 Boise a chance of knocking off #1 Alabama, or #3 FSU if the first 2 seeds get byes. I think if the playoffs expand to 8 then we will see each P5 school get an auto-bid, with 3 at large teams. If a G5 team finishes in the top 8 then they deserve to be included as an at-large, but a team like Boise that is not close to the top 8 doesn't deserve a bid.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I'm sure they thought about 8 teams before. It might come down to too many games.

That's the way things work.  Here's the thought process.

Playoffs were dismissed for years because it would be too many games for the teams involved.  Then they decided to just have one extra game and that would take care of the playoff talk for football.  Everybody would be happy.  The only problem is in the application of the plan it turns out that there are 2 teams excluded, one of which (TCU) some people think could have won the whole thing.  It is so unfair, but with only 4 teams, you have to make choices.  Let's make it more fair for everybody.  Let's increase the  playoffs to 8 teams.  That way if you really have a claim to the National Championship you will make the grade and can prove it on the field.  Yeah, let's do it.  It's only 1 more game for the players, and we get a true national champion.  Not to mention the extra revenue it will bring for the conferences and teams involved in the playoffs, and for the networks who will televise the games.  Everybody wins.  

If the Big 12 expands, it does nothing for the other P5 conferences, and may or may not get more money for the networks.  Expanding the playoffs will get everybody more money, and they can say that they are doing what is best for college football by crowning a true national champion.

Go Bulls!

Edited by namuh-bull

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

5 P5 champions

2 At large

Say the first 7 are ranks 1-7 for simplicity and then the G5 team is rank 17.... you will have a rank 17 getting in over a 3rd at large, rank 8 or 9 team. I don't think that will sit well with the P5, and whatever bowl gets stuck with the G5 which is likely to have a lot less draw than a 3rd at large top 10 team. It will be rank 1 vs rank 17 likely instead of rank 1 vs rank 8.... i don't see it ever happening.. I see 3 at larges, up to G5 team to make the at large by going undefeated.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Kinda sounds like an NCAA/NIT type scenario in the future...

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

8 game playoff would just have more SEC wanking. CFB is getting dumb.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

More games will lead to more $$$$.

8 team playoff is coming.

It won't lead to more games. Currently one playoff game is the Sugar Bowl and the other is the Rose Bowl. They just take the place of the major BCS bowl games.