• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

2007 USF would be contendors for the CFP until mid-way through the season.

If a G5 team schedule and BEATs top opponents... then chances are possible.

"not probable" ; because the P5 will stop scheduling strong G5 teams

2007 USF was in a BCS conference with a very good SOS. 4 of the teams we played finished in the BCS top-25. 

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/2007_archive_bcs.html

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

Now, when we speak of going to eight teams in a playoff, is there some sort of caveat that protects - at minimum - the #8 position for the highest ranked G5 team? If not, I'm not sure how going to eight would necessarily benefit USF (under the assumption that USF is indeed the highest ranked G5 team), given that at the end of the year, the top ten teams would more likely fall to P5 members. As of today, ECU is right around the nineteen position, clearly across town from the eight-team cutoff. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The easiest way for 8 to work is to have the P5 conference champs, the highest rated G5 conference champ, and two at large teams.  there would still be some complaining, but less.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The easiest way for 8 to work is to have the P5 conference champs, the highest rated G5 conference champ, and two at large teams.  there would still be some complaining, but less.

Even better would be to have 14 conferences of 9 teams each, and everyone plays round robin, with two at-large bids.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

FSU will not leave ACC imo. They just won the National Championship and Heisman. They are on track for the playoff this year.

Texas will do whatever it wants and screw everyone they can.... They have a sweet deal with ESPN longhorn network as well... I can't see them leaving the big 12 because they'd no longer get to push their conference mates around. Texas is what caused the teams that could to leave the Big12.

If FSU can get double the TV money, why wouldn't they leave?  

If USF went undefeated and go into the four team playoff, would we then turn down offers to a P5 conference?  I hope not.

No undefeated team from the G5 will ever make the 4 team playoff. SOS is a huge factor now in determining the rankings of the teams. The selection Comittee will release their first top 20 poll on Oct 28th. You will see every 2 loss SEC team ranked ahead of every G5 team.

And...you missed the point.

Not really. Your premise is flawed. If USF went undefeated they would never make the playoffs. If this was possible, I would rather stay in the AAC and beat up baby seals for an undefeated season and have the highest chance of making the playoffs every year. I'd trade P5 money for Natty Champs every year, same philosophy as Notre Lame.

My point is that if USF has a chance to move to a conference to get more money, we'd jump at it regardless of our current situation.  Why wouldn't FSU jump at the chance to make much more money?

My point is that if USF has a chance to move to a conference to get more money, we'd jump at it regardless of our current situation.  Why wouldn't FSU jump at the chance to make much more money?

While you have a valid point, some people might say it's the "much more money" part that is a bit uncertain -- especially since we don't really know how the Grant of Rights would actually shake out in the lawsuit(s) that would be filed after a move.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

While you have a valid point, some people might say it's the "much more money" part that is a bit uncertain -- especially since we don't really know how the Grant of Rights would actually shake out in the lawsuit(s) that would be filed after a move.

Without looking up the numbers it's a simple case of how long will it take to recoup the losses. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Certainly FSU won't leave the ACC for an extr $100/month.  But the original quote was that FSU would NEVER leave the ACC because they are poised for success in the ACC.

1.  Things change, five years from now the ACC could be more difficult to be successful in than the B1G.
2.  At some point money always matters,  especially for an institution.  FSU isn't a single person that can decide they don't need more money, FSU is a huge school that needs money to operate.  If significantly more money is available, the school will consider far more things than competitive environment.

That's all I'm saying.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Certainly FSU won't leave the ACC for an extr $100/month.  But the original quote was that FSU would NEVER leave the ACC because they are poised for success in the ACC.

1.  Things change, five years from now the ACC could be more difficult to be successful in than the B1G.
2.  At some point money always matters,  especially for an institution.  FSU isn't a single person that can decide they don't need more money, FSU is a huge school that needs money to operate.  If significantly more money is available, the school will consider far more things than competitive environment.

That's all I'm saying.

And until they won the national championship last year, they weren't putting butts in seats like they did before at Doak Campbell. Money will be a prime enticer to FSU athletics.

Edited by Paisa el Toro

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,430
  • Days Won:  19

Let's be honest.

USF is behind UCF and Cincy (and maybe even ECU) in the realignment talks...

I am not just talking about the last two seasons, either

• Downvote 2