• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Bottom line: USF's first president screwed us all.

No, I'd say it was Judy and DW for firing Leavitt and replacing him with a card board cut out of Lou Holtz with a golfing addiction.

If we could have maintained a ranking and had numerous legitimate sell outs, the TV ratings would be better and we'd have had a legitimate case with the B12.  If we had proved we belonged with strength in athletics, attendance, and ratings we'd be safe.  Unfortunately we're back to where we are pre-big east selling the dream alongside UCF.

This and the fact that we lost Mr. Selmon.  He was very helpful in opening doors for this program and creating opportunities.  I miss him.

That was our biggest loss.

He commanded the respect of others and those in charge of realignment would have been eager to listen to his vision.

Not really, see the post above about our realistic chances of making that happen. He's spot on and we never had a chance.

Disagree to a certain extent.

When discussions were going on with the Big 12 a couple of years ago there was discussion of WVU, Cincinnati, UL, and USF going together as a package. This was just after Mr. Selmon had passed away. If he was able to be present in those discussions I think representatives from the Big 12 would have listened more attentively when he would have spoken.

Selmon was an awesome man and a great advocate for the program but i think realignment is being driven by greed not sentiment or force of personality.

Agreed.

I'm just saying our chances would have been better if he was in attendance.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

"I'm just saying our chances would have been better if he was in attendance."

Can't argue with that.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I don't think we're going to the B12, I think we're stuck in the AAC for the foreseeable.

It's all about TV eyballs, ticket sales, butts in seats, and merchandise sales. Face it, we're simply not an attractive target. We once had potential, but it hasn't been realized. We won't get invited on potential again.

We need to start generating more income in all of the above categories. Over the next few years, if all the AAC members can all increase these revenue streams significantly and our champ consistently makes the Top 10, then maybe - just maybe - the league as a whole can scratch its way back into a power league designation.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think we're going to the B12, I think we're stuck in the AAC for the foreseeable.

It's all about TV eyballs, ticket sales, butts in seats, and merchandise sales. Face it, we're simply not an attractive target. We once had potential, but it hasn't been realized. We won't get invited on potential again.

We need to start generating more income in all of the above categories. Over the next few years, if all the AAC members can all increase these revenue streams significantly and our champ consistently makes the Top 10, then maybe - just maybe - the league as a whole can scratch its way back into a power league designation.

That's pretty much my thinking as well. I agree that we're in the AAC for the foreseeable future; in that I would not be surprised if we spent a decade at this level.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

And all along, expect the other conferences to poach our coaches every chance they get, so success has to be on a program level, not coach level, so that when the bigger school comes calling, the program can find another coach who is a good fit and can make the transition without too much of a stumble.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

That's pretty much my thinking as well. I agree that we're in the AAC for the foreseeable future; in that I would not be surprised if we spent a decade at this level.

I agree.  The lifeline we got to join the Big East was a once-in-a-generation opportunity.  While of course I'd love for USF to be in a better-established conference the truth is we've only been around for about 16 years and we're in no position to demand anything.  I'd rather focus my football energy on success in the conference we're in.  The rest will take care of itself one way or another.  It is possible to make a lot of noise even if you're not in a P5 conference.  I'd be far more proud of USF as a regular AAC champion that occasionally plays in and wins BCS games, a team that everyone in college football knows and respects, than an also-ran in the Big XII or another P5 conference, that is consistently buried in the standings.  Yes, money for the school is important, but I'm not sure it is as critical to the average fan as we've been led to believe - we care about wins and losses, and while money does affect your ability to win indirectly, it's also possible to be flush with cash and still be a loser (e.g. Iowa State, Indiana, etc.).  Just my two cents.

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

This is what I have been saying for some time now and have taken grief from others for my position. This is the reality of our situation. Maybe we get a look in five or six years. This scnero is more likely to happen than those generated by "conspiracy and unicorn" twitter posters.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

I agree.  The lifeline we got to join the Big East was a once-in-a-generation opportunity.  While of course I'd love for USF to be in a better-established conference the truth is we've only been around for about 16 years and we're in no position to demand anything.  I'd rather focus my football energy on success in the conference we're in.  The rest will take care of itself one way or another.  It is possible to make a lot of noise even if you're not in a P5 conference.  I'd be far more proud of USF as a regular AAC champion that occasionally plays in and wins BCS games, a team that everyone in college football knows and respects, than an also-ran in the Big XII or another P5 conference, that is consistently buried in the standings.  Yes, money for the school is important, but I'm not sure it is as critical to the average fan as we've been led to believe - we care about wins and losses, and while money does affect your ability to win indirectly, it's also possible to be flush with cash and still be a loser (e.g. Iowa State, Indiana, etc.).  Just my two cents.

See "West Virginia".  We weren't as good as them overall and they are middle of the road in that conference.  We fans need to be careful what we wish for.  We might just get it and then not like the look.  Those greener pastures on the other side of the fence may turn out to be astroturf.

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  325
  • Days Won:  0

the greener pastures have Big Dollars.  the AAC pastures are  a bit barren.   I will take the chance on the astroturf if the gate becomes open  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

the greener pastures have Big Dollars.  the AAC pastures are  a bit barren.   I will take the chance on the astroturf if the gate becomes open  

Undoubtedly .... There is no way you even think twice about a P5 invite. It may be rough sledding for awhile as the program continues to grow but it would be an absolute no-brainer.