• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Offensive Style

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  47
  • Days Won:  0

Bulls Fans, wanted to bring up something I was thinking about. I’ve been watching since day 1 of this program and this offense (in the second half) introduced me to a new style of play as of late.

It’s no longer shoot & score after 15 seconds on the field.

The Bulls chewed up that clock and were like clockwork on the short yardage conversions. Timmy can scramble, then Mangham runs through someone. Weaver catches a big throw and Gregory is open on the slant. No penalties. Clock has been drained. Opposing defense is spread thin. Creative play calling in the red zone. Hold onto the ball and no turnovers.

The game is under their control. You know how we play Navy and after 2 drives it’s basically halftime because they just chug along?

Imagine a functional defense under an offensive scheme like this. It felt like a Big 10 game with a big boi RB and corn-fed offensive linemen having no difficulty.

I wanted to reflect on this style given my most recent happiness with Flowers’ quick possessions and our ability to hang 60 on a team but with more penalties and more turnovers.

(disclaimer: it was one half. Am I over reacting? Yes. But will this team likely do it again? Yes. Lol)

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,844
  • Days Won:  22

This team will need to rely on the offense controlling clock and keeping defense off the field. I expect us to try to run that offense we saw in second half rest of year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  536

I agree even blown out vs nc state we saw people open. The scheme is great. They are buying in.

we have legit threats for defenses and we should be able to hang with anyone on offense. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  390

I thought it would be a dreadful season offensively but with Timmy at the helm, I’m feeling very good about our chances to win 6 games this year. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

TOP seems important, or at least was very welll managed in the second half in my opinion. Kind of like Jimbo Fisher style. Some of the formations and plays reminded me of Taggarts offense. 

I do like that using receivers down field routes is a part of the plan, big improvement over Strong. And credit to Taggart who used the receivers to block for each other and get them room to run on short sideline passes, screens and sweeps, making the best plays with the talent we had. I think all future USF coaches should really take some learning from Taggart's offense and what clicked with the type of players in our recruiting pool.  

I’d love to see USF finally have a passing threat on offense. We haven’t had a really reliable passing QB since Grothe in my opinion. A QB that can make intermediate range passes. 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

We are seeing the playbook expanding for McClain and by end of this year I think our offense could seriously be pretty good.  He looks very good for just a true freshmen and his second start.

I would like to see us eventually run more screen plays and creative run plays to get the ball in  speedsters Weaver, Dollison or Horn Jrs hands.

O line started slow but they have decent size and with Mangham they can wear down a defense then hit them with speed its a beautiful thing when it really starts clicking and I think yesterdays game was a big step for this offense. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

We are seeing the playbook expanding for McClain and by end of this year I think our offense could seriously be pretty good.  He looks very good for just a true freshmen and his second start.

I would like to see us eventually run more screen plays and creative run plays to get the ball in  speedsters Weaver, Dollison or Horn Jrs hands.

O line started slow but they have decent size and with Mangham they can wear down a defense then hit them with speed its a beautiful thing when it really starts clicking and I think yesterdays game was a big step for this offense. 

Good point with the screen pass. I was especially happy with jet sweep in the red zone. It was great seeing us utilizing speed in those areas where we have it. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

I think we need to see a little bit more from the beginning of the game.  Things look better, but tough to completely judge when you are down 3 touchdowns in the 2nd quarter

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

If you can score quick, then you do that.  You don't intentionally pass up scoring opps just to eat up time.  If big plays are there, take them.  That said, I loved seeing Mangham and the OL just grind BYU into powder in the 2nd half.  A thing of beauty.