• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BYU opens as a 23.5 point favorite

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

That's scary since they don't turn around.

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

PinkBraveCobra-size_restricted.gif.1c6de3bfdb32e4fab34ebd6647af4b6d.gif

Don't have much choice if we have any chance. BYU is going to run the ball right up our butts with no lube. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,594
  • Days Won:  424

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Don't have much choice if we have any chance. BYU is going to run the ball right up our butts with no lube. 

Yeah, I know ……. this could ugly pretty quickly. Good news is that hopefully the non first stringers will be getting valuable experience that pays off later. 

Just now, Triple B said:

Yeah, I know ……. this could ugly pretty quickly. Good news is that hopefully the non first stringers will be getting valuable experience that pays off later. 

Assuming they are around next year I agree. 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

I actually think the run game defense has been better the past 2 games.

Against FAMU they had -7 rushing yards in the first half, when they had that touchdown drive in the 3rd quarter we had backups in our dline.

The Gators running backs went for 167 yards on 27 carries, which is still bad. But for a G5 team playing a top ranked SEC team idk how much better you can expect.

Obviously we have to contain their QB better than we did vs Florida, but if he's banged up that could help

7 minutes ago, bulloni said:

I actually think the run game defense has been better the past 2 games.

Against FAMU they had -7 rushing yards in the first half, when they had that touchdown drive in the 3rd quarter we had backups in our dline.

The Gators running backs went for 167 yards on 27 carries, which is still bad. But for a G5 team playing a top ranked SEC team idk how much better you can expect.

Obviously we have to contain their QB better than we did vs Florida, but if he's banged up that could help

The run game defense has indeed been decent but they have also had multiple moments of getting gashed. Most of the damage seems to have come in the 2nd half where our lack of depth raises it head. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

All 3 wins were less than 10 points 

The teams they beat are a combined 3 and 6...2 wins are FCS teams and one is and 0-3 UNLV team.

I think we play them closer than many expect. 

BYU has not played any FCS teams or UNLV. They have played Arizona, Utah, and Arizona State. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The run game defense has indeed been decent but they have also had multiple moments of getting gashed. Most of the damage seems to have come in the 2nd half where our lack of depth raises it head. 

True, not to mention we really sold out for the run against Florida and thats why they had so many big passes. If we can get Lapointe and Williams back in the secondary that could work wonders

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

35 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think the focus and issue is more on the defense. The DBs need to play much more aggressively than they have so far this year. This will important as BYU will want to primarily run the ball after looking at the FAMU game tape. We need to stack the box and the DBs will need to be an island. 

You just can't afford to do this. The best approach is to play a soft defense and tighten things up inside your 30 when there is less space for the offense to operate. Our DBs are, to put it lightly, not very good. Our LBs are either undersized or slow. Our d-line cannot get any pressure and gets beat off the ball way to easily. That is a recipe for disaster. BYU is going to run on us whether our DBs are close to the line or 8 yards off. I think the approach of playing soft and keeping the play in front of you gives us the best chance of competing right now. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

5 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

You just can't afford to do this. The best approach is to play a soft defense and tighten things up inside your 30 when there is less space for the offense to operate. Our DBs are, to put it lightly, not very good. Our LBs are either undersized or slow. Our d-line cannot get any pressure and gets beat off the ball way to easily. That is a recipe for disaster. BYU is going to run on us whether our DBs are close to the line or 8 yards off. I think the approach of playing soft and keeping the play in front of you gives us the best chance of competing right now. 

Accurate assessment of current talent on D

8 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Good points…but there has to be times when we blitz in this game which puts the DBs 1 on 1. If we don’t take chances we have zero chance. Perhaps the defense alignment we had against the Gators is the way to go. I want to see BYU beat us with the pass. I think that’s our best chance. 

• Upvote 1