• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GoUSFBulls.com: Bulls vs. Florida: Keys to Victory

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

Bulls vs. Florida: Keys to Victory

BULLS VS. FLORIDA: KEYS TO VICTORY

USF (0-1; 0-0 American) vs #13/9 FLORIDA (1-0; 0-0 SEC)
Saturday, Sept. 11 • 1:00 P.M.
Raymond James Stadium (65,857)
TV: ABC: Bob Wischusen (p-by-p), Dan Orlovsky (analyst) & Kris Budden (sideline)
RADIO: 95.3 WDAE
AUDIO STREAM: iHeartRadio - Bulls Unlimited1
GAME NOTES (PDF)
9/11 COMMEMORATIONS SATURDAY:
Bulls will wear a 9/11 helmet sticker
A moment of silence will be observed pregame
The USF and UF Bands will perform a 9/11 tribute together at halftime

By Joey Johnston

To take pressure off quarterbacks Cade Fortin and Timmy McClain, the USF Bulls must find ways to run effectively against the No. 13-ranked Florida Gators in Saturday afternoon's ABC-TV game at Raymond James Stadium.

The Bulls showed flashes in the season-opening 45-0 defeat at NC State. But after sophomore running back Darrian Felix dashed for 16 yards on the game's opening play, USF went three-and-out on five consecutive possessions. At that point, the Bulls were in catch-up mode and drifted away from their running plans.

USF offensive coordinator Charlie Weis Jr. said he has confidence in the veteran offensive line, along with the four primary backs — Felix, Jaren Mangham (a transfer from Colorado), Kelley Joiner Jr. and Brian Battie. It might sound like "coach-speak,'' but Weis said the key to a consistent running game is better execution. He can hold up Felix's 16-yard game-opening run as a prime example.

Against NC State's base defense (three down linemen, cover-3 in the secondary), Weis went away from zone blocking and utilized a gap-scheme run. The right side of USF's offensive line, guard Demetris Harris and tackle Demontrey Jacobs, pulled to the left and effectively kicked out two Wolfpack linebackers, while tight end Mitchell Brinkman took care of the other. It opened a gaping hole and Felix took advantage of that.

Overall, USF rushed 32 times for 104 yards (3.2-yard average), which is sub-par on any occasion, particularly when compared to the rushing night of NC State (293 yards, 7.3 per-carry average).

Weis said USF's offensive line did a decent job of handling NC State's front, but penalties, turnovers and missed assignments contributed to the lack of offensive production. The O-line will need to up its game even more Saturday against the Gators, who feature Zach Carter (6-foot-4, 285 pounds), Antonio Valentino (6-3, 312) and Daquan Newkirk (6-3, 308) up front. Valentino (Penn State) and Newkirk (Auburn) are graduate transfers.

In reserve: Desmond Watson (6-5, 400), a world-class physical curiosity from Armwood High School.

"They have phenomenal defensive ends and tackles,'' Weis said. "They create havoc with TFLs (tackles for a loss) and sacks. We've got to find ways to slow them down with different run plays and pass plays. There are things you can do, but you have to execute them.

"We are confident in our ability to run the ball. It's a matter of us knowing some of the things we're doing good up front and for us as coaches, to stick to it and help out our quarterbacks a little bit.''

Stopping UF's quarterbacks

In UF's 35-14 victory against Florida Atlantic, the Gators rushed for 400 yards. Backup quarterback Anthony Richardson (160 rushing yards on seven carries) and starter Emory Jones (74 yards) were particularly elusive. Richardson was the first UF quarterback with a 100-yard rushing game since 2012 (Jeff Driskell).

"If you look at Emory's tape from last year, he was giving everybody trouble doing that (running) and Richardson is just the same,'' USF defensive coordinator Glenn Spencer said. "You've got to treat it like the Wildcat, another running back in the backfield.

"We don't have anybody on our scout team who can emulate that. We just tell the guy (scout-team QB) to take off, don't even think about throwing the ball, and find an open gap. They will get their yards, but can you keep it contained and bottled up, can you execute on critical situations and get off the field? That's our challenge.''

Spencer said depth is an issue (only 15 defensive players took eight or more snaps against NC State) and the tackling must improve (he counted 20 missed tackles against the Wolfpack).

"We as coaches have to get it out of them, make sure they are the best tacklers they can be,'' Spencer said. "They can't be somebody they're not, but they can be the best tacklers they can be and that's what we're trying to get done.''

Previous meeting

It's the second time for USF to face the Gators....

Rest of Story

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Keys to winning, defensive or special teams touchdowns, hope for an extended rain delay of hours, play ringers, pray for miracle, or pay the mob to bust some kneecaps.

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

I just want us to not look hopeless like last week. Some life. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

For me, I want to compare our play to the UF v FAU game. Think it will be a pretty good indicator of our ability. Hoping we show up with a competitive team today..

:03-nutkick:

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

9 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

For me, I want to compare our play to the UF v FAU game. Think it will be a pretty good indicator of our ability. Hoping we show up with a competitive team today..

I am afraid you won't like results comparing us to FAU....I hope I am wrong though. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

it involves numerous snipers

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

6 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

This is probably the best perspective.

I want to see first downs in the first half.  I want to see the Gators go three-and-out.  I want to see USF win the turnover battle.

I would also like to see drives finish, even if they are field goals.  Two near-the-red-zone (@ NCSU 25 and 23 respectively) interceptions killed two promising drives.