• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defensive Line Observation, Views and Rant

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,555
  • Days Won:  28

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

Gatorbull325 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

There are many people who want to throw McClain into the fire and let him start his journey now. I understand your sentiments and wish that same type of thinking could be done with our defensive line. I’m baffled by how CJS or Glen spencer did not make it a priority to bring a few more bodies in than they did. I get it that Xander Yarborough dropped out, but man they made no effort to getting rid of dead weight on the defensive line. With that being said, I do think the defense looked more athletic and faster, but when your offense goes 3 and out in under 1 minute 5 times in a row and has 3 interceptions, it’s not much you can do. I’m actually encouraged that our defensive will improve. 

Also - I want to point out the defensive comparisons between our defense and NC State on that screenshot below. Our defense had 10 more tackles than N.C State and we used almost half the amount of defensive players NC State did. I’m not sure if they just emptied their bench because of a blowout or if it simply benefits you to go deeper on your team. Either way I question the amount of players Spencer used. 

Here is a breakdown of my “feelings” about this defensive line - 

Players, I’m cool with - 

1. Thad Magnum
  2. Rashawn Yates
  3. Blake Green

These players need to step up PERIOD! No excuses!

1. Kevin Kegler
  2. Kelvin Pickney
  3. Jason Vaughn

These are the players I blame for our horrible defensive line. They have been taking up space for years w/o adding any value. I’m sure they are nice guys and I'm glad they are receiving their education, but maaan, I can wait until their eligibility is up. Me personally, I say switch Thomas Nance 250Ib or Chris Carter 250 Ib back to DE if you are not going to use them at TE. They can’t be any worse than these three and they are more athletic. 

1. Grant, Darrien RS SR    
  2. Thaxton, Ryan RS SR/TR    
  3. TYRONE BARBER    

If they are not injured, throw them into the “fiyah”!   I don't see how they can do any worse than the Grant, Thaxton or Barber. We got blown out by 45 points. Unless they were injured, WTF did any of these guys not play last night?

1. Stacy Kirby - 235 Ibs
  2. Tramel Logan     - 240Ibs
  3. LE'VONTAE CAMIEL     - 235 Ibs
  4. Jamari Stewart - 22Ibs
  5. DE'JUAN SEASE - 290 Ibs
  6. Keeon Terrell - 240 Ibs

Look how Deep NC state went into their defensive personnel. They didn't perform that much better, but got different results - 

FireShot Capture 068 - South Florida vs. NC State - Box Score - September 2, 2021 - ESPN_ - www.espn.com.png

Edited by Gatorbull325

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

There are many people who want to throw McClain into the fire and let him start his journey now. I understand your sentiments and wish that same type of thinking could be done with our defensive line. I’m baffled by how CJS or Glen spencer did not make it a priority to bring a few more bodies in than they did. I get it that Xander Yarborough dropped out, but man they made no effort to getting rid of dead weight on the defensive line. With that being said, I do think the defense looked more athletic and faster, but when your offense goes 3 and out in under 1 minute 5 times in a row and has 3 interceptions, it’s not much you can do. I’m actually encouraged that our defensive will improve. 

Also - I want to point out the defensive comparisons between our defense and NC State on that screenshot below. Our defense had 10 more tackles than N.C State and we used almost half the amount of defensive players NC State did. I’m not sure if they just emptied their bench because of a blowout or if it simply benefits you to go deeper on your team. Either way I question the amount of players Spencer used. 

Here is a breakdown of my “feelings” about this defensive line - 

Players, I’m cool with - 

1. Thad Magnum
  2. Rashawn Yates
  3. Blake Green

These players need to step up PERIOD! No excuses!

1. Kevin Kegler
  2. Kelvin Pickney
  3. Jason Vaughn

These are the players I blame for our horrible defensive line. They have been taking up space for years w/o adding any value. I’m sure they are nice guys and I'm glad they are receiving their education, but maaan, I can wait until their eligibility is up. Me personally, I say switch Thomas Nance 250Ib or Chris Carter 250 Ib back to DE if you are not going to use them at TE. They can’t be any worse than these three and they are more athletic. 

1. Grant, Darrien RS SR    
  2. Thaxton, Ryan RS SR/TR    
  3. TYRONE BARBER    

If they are not injured, throw them into the “fiyah”!   I don't see how they can do any worse than the Grant, Thaxton or Barber. We got blown out by 45 points. Unless they were injured, WTF did any of these guys not play last night?

1. Stacy Kirby - 235 Ibs
  2. Tramel Logan     - 240Ibs
  3. LE'VONTAE CAMIEL     - 235 Ibs
  4. Jamari Stewart - 22Ibs
  5. DE'JUAN SEASE - 290 Ibs
  6. Keeon Terrell - 240 Ibs

Look how Deep NC state went into their defensive personnel. They didn't perform that much better, but got different results - 

FireShot Capture 068 - South Florida vs. NC State - Box Score - September 2, 2021 - ESPN_ - www.espn.com.png

I appreciate you and your dedication especially since you actually went to UF. You are good people.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

2 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I understand your sentiments and wish that same type of thinking could be done with our defensive line. I’m baffled by how CJS or Glen spencer did not make it a priority to bring a few more bodies in than they did.

I think we had 2 DTs that deferred signing until next year. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,555
  • Days Won:  28

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Man we need them NOW. 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

This unit overall just isn't talented...there is no further explanation...they will continue to kill this team...

Edited by DJBulls
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  47
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/3/2021 at 1:25 PM, DJBulls said:

This unit overall just isn't talented...there is no further explanation...they will continue to kill this team...

Or they are not getting coached up

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

On 9/3/2021 at 1:20 PM, Triple B said:

That was my first thought. But, didn't they know that pretty early on in the process?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

D line hopefully improves as we lose some of these upperclassmen. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

That was my first thought. But, didn't they know that pretty early on in the process?

Hobbs and Williams were both Signing Day casualties ....

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

On 9/3/2021 at 1:19 PM, puc86 said:

I appreciate you and your dedication especially since you actually went to UF. You are good people.

It's almost mind boggling. Must be some kind of masochist. 

@Gatorbull325

• Haha 1