• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Just finished watching this game....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

Frustrating for sure, but I haven't lost interest yet. We were never going to win this game....I think most here knew we would be overmatched against what might be a very good NC State team coming into this....but we had several opportunities to at least make it look a little better on the scoreboard. I didn't think the design of the offense was bad, just had too many misfires by both QBs tonight, including a couple of deep balls that might have gone for TDs. Also had McClain just seemingly panic and make a couple of bad throws in the red zone, but there's clearly a ton of potential there.  I still like the potential of the WR corps, and can see the possibility of one of these QBs settling down and being effective in this offense. This doesn't feel as hopeless as our 2019 opener against Wisky, where there was ZERO signs of that offense being any good. We WILL get smashed by Florida in another game in which we will be badly overmatched, but at least wait until conference play before deciding whether there's been any improvement or not. We knew coming in that we weren't there yet. Many predicted 1-3 through four games. Too early to be calling for Scott's head.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

9 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Frustrating for sure, but I haven't lost interest yet. We were never going to win this game....I think most here knew we would be overmatched against what might be a very good NC State team coming into this....but we had several opportunities to at least make it look a little better on the scoreboard. I didn't think the design of the offense was bad, just had too many misfires by both QBs tonight, including a couple of deep balls that might have gone for TDs. Also had McClain just seemingly panic and make a couple of bad throws in the red zone, but there's clearly a ton of potential there.  I still like the potential of the WR corps, and can see the possibility of one of these QBs settling down and being effective in this offense. This doesn't feel as hopeless as our 2019 opener against Wisky, where there was ZERO signs of that offense being any good. We WILL get smashed by Florida in another game in which we will be badly overmatched, but at least wait until conference play before deciding whether there's been any improvement or not. We knew coming in that we weren't there yet. Many predicted 1-3 through four games. Too early to be calling for Scott's head.

There are many ways to 1-3 and this just happens to be worse than people expected. It’s not that we didn’t win or even didn’t cover the spread it’s even if you doubled the spread we still didn’t sniff it. Also discussing QB improvement and how amazing Fortin looked and has grasped the offense so well gave the expectation that would be demonstrated in some way. We expected to see something we could grab onto that gives us a reason to hope which we have yet to see demonstrated by CJS and his coaching staff and is getting a bit frustrating.

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Also discussing QB improvement and how amazing Fortin looked and has grasped the offense so well gave the expectation that would be demonstrated in some way

That crossed my mind as well. I read an article leading up to gameday mentioning what a well-oiled machine the offense was in practice with Fortin, but they seem to write similar hype pieces every year leading up to game 1 (along with the amazing change of culture by whatever coach is in place). I'm not ready to write him off quite yet though. Could have been jitters. We're just one game in. Still a long way to go. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

45 minutes ago, puc86 said:

We expected to see something we could grab onto that gives us a reason to hope 

Timmy McClain.

Honestly, he looked about 1000 times better than QF ever did his entire Freshman season.  Really, he looked a lot better than QF's sophomore season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

That crossed my mind as well. I read an article leading up to gameday mentioning what a well-oiled machine the offense was in practice with Fortin, but they seem to write similar hype pieces every year leading up to game 1 (along with the amazing change of culture by whatever coach is in place). I'm not ready to write him off quite yet though. Could have been jitters. We're just one game in. Still a long way to go. 

Jitters, not just him but the whole offense.  A lot of new faces.  In reality this is year one of the Jeff Scott era.  Turned over 40 players which is unprecedented in college football, at least in modern times.  Not going to get that straight in game one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Timmy McClain.

Honestly, he looked about 1000 times better than QF ever did his entire Freshman season.  Really, he looked a lot better than QF's sophomore season.

True....Flowers looked bad in first action vs a winless SMU.

Just now, Bulls On Parade said:

True....Flowers looked bad in first action vs a winless SMU.

Flowers could not throw a pass until his Jr year, and even then it was iffy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Timmy McClain.

Absolutely. Will be interesting to see who gets the nod next week at QB. I think either guy could be good in this offense, but I love the possibilities with McClain in there.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,038
  • Days Won:  38

If I see Fortin again, he better be like gangbusters.  I will default to angry.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,592
  • Days Won:  424

32 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Timmy McClain.

Probably best to stick with his freshman year. Q threw 8 picks in 13 games in year 2 to go with 22 td's. Timmy's second pick was one of the worst throws I've ever seen ...... but also have to keep reminding he's less than a year out from playing hs ball. He looked real comfortable out there ..... not sure he's as quick as Flowers, though.

• Upvote 1