• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MLB Season Talk

Guest Jonesy Bull

Guest Jonesy Bull

We are 2 months into the Season, and the Standings are interesting in the AL East.

Both the Rays and Red Sox are kind of surprises imo.  With of course the Yankees lurking.  Should be a fun Summer of baseball.

image.png

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,268
  • Days Won:  25

Rays continue to impress and overachieve. Baseball was better in the steroid and chick's dig the longer era.

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Rays continue to impress and overachieve. Baseball was better in the steroid and chick's dig the longer era.

See the source image

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,268
  • Days Won:  25

4 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

See the source image

I mean it is true they dig the long ball and long stick! 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jonesy Bull

A really tough break for the Rays losing their Ace, Tyler Glasnow.  

Does this change the dynamic of this division?  Its tragic for a team to lose their Ace.  I think the Rays can still compete for the Division title or playoff berth, but it just got a lot tougher!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

A really tough break for the Rays losing their Ace, Tyler Glasnow.  

Does this change the dynamic of this division?  Its tragic for a team to lose their Ace.  I think the Rays can still compete for the Division title or playoff berth, but it just got a lot tougher!

Sucks he got hurt......Needs to let the substance excuse go, while I agree that pitchers should have something to help grip, the grip doesn't change the amount of torque he puts on his elbow. If anything, it would cause him to throttle down. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Sucks he got hurt......Needs to let the substance excuse go, while I agree that pitchers should have something to help grip, the grip doesn't change the amount of torque he puts on his elbow. If anything, it would cause him to throttle down. 

I saw his interview.  His emotions and all, you could tell he is very frustrated, upset about getting hurt.  Understandably.

He seems pretty adamant that this contributed to his injury.  Maybe so, he knows his body best.  It could also be possible, that he just needs something to blame.  Either way, it sucks for him and the Rays.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

34 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I saw his interview.  His emotions and all, you could tell he is very frustrated, upset about getting hurt.  Understandably.

He seems pretty adamant that this contributed to his injury.  Maybe so, he knows his body best.  It could also be possible, that he just needs something to blame.  Either way, it sucks for him and the Rays.

Anything is possible, but the science doesn't really support his stance. 

What makes this worse is that he says he only stopped using substances for two starts. UCL injuries are usually very gradual without a noticeable sudden impact (I.E. car wreck). 

I think his fastball is a much more likely culprit. The UCL isn't meant to support that torque and there a good chance they break after a while under that strain.

Guest Jonesy Bull
20 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Anything is possible, but the science doesn't really support his stance. 

What makes this worse is that he says he only stopped using substances for two starts. UCL injuries are usually very gradual without a noticeable sudden impact (I.E. car wreck). 

I think his fastball is a much more likely culprit. The UCL isn't meant to support that torque and there a good chance they break after a while under that strain.

Probably.  It could be a combination, where the long term affect of his fastball strain on his arm was accelerated with the sudden change in his grip and throwing of the ball these last 2 starts.  I don't know, I'm just guessing based on his comments. 

Do you think that this UCL injury will require Surgery and that will cause him to be out for over a year?  Or do you think he can rebab this like he wants to and get back later this year?  It sounds like we will know more tomorrow once the Doctors announce the game plan.

I'm not loving that Wacha is going to be taking over the starts for Glasnow.  He has been kind of iffy in the Bullpen games.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

Rays are bringing up their top prospect. He was batting around 320 in AAA.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F0621%2Fr870276_1

Wander Franco, rated by ESPN as the top prospect in baseball...