• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Temple Traveling to Tampa Wednesday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  357
  • Content Count:  4,113
  • Days Won:  56

42 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Yes but Pascal had some brutal years too. The only coach we have had that teams consistently ended with winning seasons was Lee Rose

Seth Greenberg only had one losing season in 7 years at USF.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, Dave Glaser said:

Seth Greenberg only had one losing season in 7 years at USF.

Pascal was superior though. Seth was a used car salesman. Great personality and arguably had the best talent in program history but could not do anything in the NIT and never got to the NCAA. Pascal actually advanced in the NIT and got two teams to the NCAAs.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

So, I bet Temple the other day but not today.  That's what I get for seeing how horrible Temple looked and wondering if they might be that bad again.  Glad I didn't watch this live and get to delete from the DVR now.  

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

57 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Lee was known as Mr. NIT. Pascal could get to the NIT and the NCAA. 

Two different stages of USF. When Rose took over USF, we had never been in post season in our history. He was here six years no losing seasons and three NITs including two wins 

6 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Two different stages of USF. When Rose took over USF, we had never been in post season in our history. He was here six years no losing seasons and three NITs including two wins 

True but the OP was not giving that context...Hiring Rose was big, big time for USF. He just took Purdue to the final four. But the publicity and impact for USF was even greater when Pascal made those NCAA tournaments and won a conference tournament championship. The whole City of Tampa was on board. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

True but the OP was not giving that context...Hiring Rose was big, big time for USF. He just took Purdue to the final four. But the publicity for USF was even greater when Pascal made those NCAA tournaments and won a conference tournament championship. 

Yes but he also had horrible teams 6 losing seasons in 10 years. So while you can get give him credit for his NCAA trips, I wouldn’t say he was more successful. He benefited from getting Dobras to fall in his lap at USF. I give credit to Rose because he had nothing here to build on, no history, SunDome being built when he was here and playing in the SunBelt conference. He got USF attention by winning both Florida Fours and getting on Sports Illustrated as the best team in our state.

7 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Yes but he also had horrible teams 6 losing seasons in 10 years. So while you can get give him credit for his NCAA trips, I wouldn’t say he was more successful. He benefited from getting Dobras to fall in his lap at USF. I give credit to Rose because he had nothing here to build on, no history, SunDome being built when he was here and playing in the SunBelt conference. He got USF attention by winning both Florida Fours and getting on Sports Illustrated as the best team in our state.

Good points. It was feast or famine with Pascal. But for me the measuring stick is post season success and Pascal did enough for me to put him as the best. For sure he would have been fired like Heath in another time. I can certainly support Rose more than Greenberg who I still feel was overrated. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

Guest Jonesy Bull

I didn't get a chance to watch this game, what the hell happened?  We just beat them at their place a few days earlier and now this debacle......Jeez this team is so inconsistent.  I'm sure it has to do more with the players than the Coach, but I'm having some concerns with CBG having this type of team that is so on and off.  I'll give hime next year to figure it out, otherwise I hate to say it but it might be time to start looking again.

Guest Jonesy Bull
23 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Lee was known as Mr. NIT. Pascal could get to the NIT and the NCAA. 

Lee Rose was a great get as a name coach for a newer program to get some legitamacy....and of course Charlie Bradley was worth the price of admission.

But that's going back way far.  I got on campus during the Pascal years and yeah he had some bad teams, but those 2 NCAA seasons were alot of fun.  He was pretty good, I was sad to see him go.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Lee Rose was a great get as a name coach for a newer program to get some legitamacy....and of course Charlie Bradley was worth the price of admission.

But that's going back way far.  I got on campus during the Pascal years and yeah he had some bad teams, but those 2 NCAA seasons were alot of fun.  He was pretty good, I was sad to see him go.

It ended pretty badly for Paschal. As I recall he could barely field a team at the end of his last year.