• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Game Discussion-Basketball: Bulls vs. Tulane (Feb 14) 2 pm TV: ESPNU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

1 minute ago, Dave Glaser said:

I like Brian Gregory. He has done a good job of bringing in some competent players, but I have the same concerns as you. Collins and Brown are pretty much the same players now as they were as freshmen. Their weaknesses then are still the same weaknesses now. Durr is improved, but lacks real aggressiveness. Lex has very little explosiveness compared to what we saw in 2018. Our offense really relys very much on players making individual plays. We don’t really run anything to generate specific offense. When was the last time we saw a back door lob for a dunk or any kind of screen and roll for an easy layup, etc.? Gregory seems to be a decent talent evaluator and motivator, but not a whole lot else so far. He seems to live by “If at first you don’t succeed, run it again.”

We really do just play one on one, Collins has gotten worse, too slow and does not handle the ball well enough, turnovers kill us.  Durr has really improved but has a low ceiling, dude has no ups.  JB is streaky but can’t create like the rest of the team.  We have said ad nauseam how Lex lost his athleticism, Castaneda is better but lacks a burst and quickness.  Tchewa is a project and does not handle the ball well but is showing improvement and am liking what I see, Murphy is a freak athlete but he is not sure what to do with the ball to score.  In the end we are simply mediocre.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

2 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

We really do just play one on one, Collins has gotten worse, too slow and does not handle the ball well enough, turnovers kill us.  Durr has really improved but has a low ceiling, dude has no ups.  JB is streaky but can’t create like the rest of the team.  We have said ad nauseam how Lex lost his athleticism, Castaneda is better but lacks a burst and quickness.  Tchewa is a project and does not handle the ball well but is showing improvement and am liking what I see, Murphy is a freak athlete but he is not sure what to do with the ball to score.  In the end we are simply mediocre.

Mediocre and our record shows it. Still, it does feel better than all those 7-22 seasons. But it sure would be nice to someday take the next step. We went 20 years between NCAA Tournament trips, and it looks like we’re on pace to do that again, maybe.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

I like Murphy, but it gets said all the time when it comes to our MBB players. If they didn’t have flaws, we wouldn’t even have been in the running to get him.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Why would you expect Tchewa to hand the ball well? He's a 7 footer who plays down low and thought he played pretty good yesterday. And go easy on Yetna - he is 15 months removed from major knee surgery. We knew it would be a longer road to recovery from him to get back to 100%. You guys have unrealistic expectations. Finishing at 10-10 would be a good year from what this team has had to go through, and the limited time Gregory has had to get the team to gel.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,357
  • Days Won:  5

I see way to many passes and when someone stops passing they look lost as what to do with the ball and render up bricks. Need to call and execute an actual play.

Guest Jonesy Bull
12 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

Mediocre and our record shows it. Still, it does feel better than all those 7-22 seasons. But it sure would be nice to someday take the next step. We went 20 years between NCAA Tournament trips, and it looks like we’re on pace to do that again, maybe.

I have the same concerns as the rest of you.  I expected better by this point.  But we do have to keep in consideration this was our first game in like a month.

Beat ucf this week, and we will all be back on the CBG bandwagon....well maybe not all of us.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

14 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

A few other thoughts from watching in person: Caleb Murphy is going to be much better if/when they move him off the ball. He needs to be on the wing in Collins’ spot, not at the point. If the incoming freshman PG Moss is good, you move Murphy and he’ll be a better player. If they can develop Tchewa, he’ll be better than Durr. He’s raw, but he plays with much more energy. This is probably obvious to everyone, but Lex has no explosiveness. We can only hope that he needs the extra time to fully recover, because if this is the Yetna we have from now on, he’s a shadow of his former self. Akec could provide some perimeter scoring if given the chance. He has the purest looking stroke on the team watching him in warmups.

I don't follow recruiting much so did he come here as a point or a shooting guard?  Watching him shoot I'd be worried having him be our shooting guard.  He seems to be the only guy with the quickness to beat someone off the dribble so I'm okay with him having it in his hands if he cuts down on the turnovers.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

13 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

After about 50 years of watching Bulls basketball, the song remains the same.   Still I'm sure in my second half-century things will improve dramatically.

I Hope Please GIF

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I have the same concerns as the rest of you.  I expected better by this point.  But we do have to keep in consideration this was our first game in like a month.

Beat ucf this week, and we will all be back on the CBG bandwagon....well maybe not all of us.

I don't know if there will ever be light at the end of the tunnel other than the next oncoming train but the one thing I can say is I would hate to be coaching any college kids under the current circumstances.  I send 'em my money and all my prayers though I'm not sure either could ever be enough.

Guest SittingBull
17 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

I like Brian Gregory. He has done a good job of bringing in some competent players, but I have the same concerns as you. Collins and Brown are pretty much the same players now as they were as freshmen. Their weaknesses then are still the same weaknesses now. Durr is improved, but lacks real aggressiveness. Lex has very little explosiveness compared to what we saw in 2018. Our offense really relys very much on players making individual plays. We don’t really run anything to generate specific offense. When was the last time we saw a back door lob for a dunk or any kind of screen and roll for an easy layup, etc.? Gregory seems to be a decent talent evaluator and motivator, but not a whole lot else so far. He seems to live by “If at first you don’t succeed, run it again.”

Sounds like you don’t like Gregory.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

7 hours ago, bjef4844 said:

Why would you expect Tchewa to hand the ball well? He's a 7 footer who plays down low and thought he played pretty good yesterday. And go easy on Yetna - he is 15 months removed from major knee surgery. We knew it would be a longer road to recovery from him to get back to 100%. You guys have unrealistic expectations. Finishing at 10-10 would be a good year from what this team has had to go through, and the limited time Gregory has had to get the team to gel.

Tchewa played very well as i stated.  He needs to keep the ball up high and not continue to bring it low as he gets stripped far too often, this is coaching and he will continue to improve.  Yetna gave me one play that showed his old explosiveness and lift, I have not given up on him just thought he would be a quicker recovery, but you are right an ACL is not tweaking an ankle, hope he comes back all the way. 

• Upvote 1